Linn Owners

(Naive?) Question about dealer charges/ Linn policies

Ron.P

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Question re. Linn products that they expect to be dealer installed, i.e. Radikal 2.
My dealer wants $800. to install a Radikal 2 in addition to the full list price of the kit.
Is this "standard procedure"?

• Confused
Reactions: kryno

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Question re. Linn products that they expect to be dealer installed, i.e. Radikal 2.
My dealer wants $800. to install a Radikal 2 in addition to the full list price of the kit.
Time for a new dealer.
Unless your deck is a total birds nest then I’m sure a reasonable margin is built in for upgrade installation.
I Certainly haven’t ever incurred more than upgrade price. :unsure: (y)

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How far is he travelling for $800? As has been said above, it’s not “standard procedure”, certainly not in the UK, but dealers in the US seem to be a mixed bunch and law unto themselves. The only thing that springs to mind, is did you buy your existing Radikal from that dealer? He may be trying to recoup some of that “lost” profit margin, if you didn’t.

’troll

Ron.P

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Time for a new dealer.
Unless your deck is a total birds nest then I’m sure a reasonable margin is built in for upgrade installation.
I Certainly haven’t ever incurred more than upgrade price. :unsure: (y)
That's what I thought. From this dealer in the last two years, I bought a Klimax level, except for the Lingo 4, LP-12 and Wilson Sabrina X speakers.
Yes, it certainly seems like it's time for a new dealer.

Ron.P

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How far is he travelling for $800? As has been said above, it’s not “standard procedure”, certainly not in the UK, but dealers in the US seem to be a mixed bunch and law unto themselves. The only thing that springs to mind, is did you buy your existing Radikal from that dealer? He may be trying to recoup some of that “lost” profit margin, if you didn’t.

’troll
I'm bringing it to his shop in NYC! And see above for what I recently bought from him.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The only thing that springs to mind, is did you buy your existing Radikal from that dealer?
In my case, I had purchased the Radikal from the same dealer as upgrade. But I really don't think this should matter at all. I think the purchase of the upgrade kit includes installation.

Time for a new dealer.

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's what I thought. From this dealer in the last two years, I bought a Klimax level, except for the Lingo 4, LP-12 and Wilson Sabrina X speakers.
If changing dealers is an option, I’d certainly be having words with him, reminding him what you’ve bought, asking him to justify the charge, then drop him anyway. It’s not a sellers market…

’troll

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll be blunt and say, this is outrageous. In my 36 years as a Linn customer, I've never experienced something like this. And since I've moved around a lot, I've had a few dealers. My current dealer travelled 535 km one way to install my Klimax Radikal/2 and didn't charge me anything. As you said, time for a new dealer!

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Linn insist that all LP12 upgrades be installed by a dealer. Their implied policy is that this is included in the price of the upgrade. There are plenty of other dealers in the NYC area - check in with them.
And you may want to post the dealers name so that others can take his "policies" into account when buying their expensive audio equipment!

Ron.P

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Linn insist that all LP12 upgrades be installed by a dealer. Their implied policy is that this is included in the price of the upgrade. There are plenty of other dealers in the NYC area - check in with them.
And you may want to post the dealers name so that others can take his "policies" into account when buying their expensive audio equipment!
No problem doing so, since none of this would be outside of his publicly available information: Innovative Audio

Reactions: Moomintroll

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting. From their web site:

"Very few partnerships in high end audio last the length of time that Innovative has been a Linn dealer. We were among the first in the United States in the 1970’s when Elliot Fishkin first heard the legendary Linn Sondek LP12 turntable at an early CES trade show. Now after nearly 50 years of partnership, Innovative is your best resource for Linn."

Apparently not!

Reactions: HBerg and Ron.P

Wenge1

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 19, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll be even blunter - This is an absolutely outrageous try on by the dealer. This would be the case even if Ron P hadn't previously purchased any Linn gear from there. Installation is built into the cost when you are taking the deck to the dealer. The fact that Ron P has already purchased high level Linn gear from them before - well as I said, an absolutely outrageous try on.

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Absolutely shocking treatment especially as a previous and current client.
I’m very lucky where I am in the UK toI have Cymbiosis as my dealer of choice and he travels hundreds of miles to fettle my deck.
I’ve never been charged for extra deck work.
Obviously he’s not a charity and I recompense his expenses etc.
The deck would have to be in very poor condition for a dealer to charge extra than the upgrade price for an install.
The figure mentioned is outrageous.
I think Cymbiosis has just returned from a USA trip and might be into next year before he travels back.
But for a guy walking in with his deck to they’re shop that’s a shocker. :eek:

Reactions: quinn_t and Wenge1

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
We do not charge for installation at the store of any Linn upgrades purchased from us, certainly including a Radikal 2 (one of which I just did this morning). Radikal 2 installation is actually relatively simple and should take no more than 1.5 hours no matter how meticulous you are (and I do precision adjust all torques on motor, sensor board and PS). Most Linn dealers I know follow the same policy. Linn does require dealer installation of upgrades but I don't know how hard they are about not charging for the labor.

Daveyf

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 12, 2018
San Diego
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think the issue with Linn dealers who can work on the LP12 has little to do with the cost of the installation...and far more to do with the fact that they are far and few between!! For instance, in the state that I live in, California, which is one of the most populous states in the whole of the US ( maybe the most populous)...we have a total of three (3) dealers ( and it may even be less by now!) who can work on the table!!! Three!!!!
To that, and i say this in the nicest way, one of these folks are " in their retiring years"!! Then we talk about the distances involved between these dealers ( remembering that Calif alone is the size of the whole of the UK)...and it is not a pretty sight, IMHO. So, when you complain about a dealer asking for a margin to install the upgrades ( which I agree with you is simple price gouging)...at least you have a flippin' dealer!!

Reactions: quinn_t

arm

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 8, 2018
Toronto
AKA
Anthony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
California is the 5th largest economy in the world,if you counted it as a sovereign nation. That Linn has not gone after this market with guns a blazing is puzzling.

Reactions: Daveyf

arm

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 8, 2018
Toronto
AKA
Anthony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To further this discussion, this is just plain greedy. Plain and simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.