Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Apologies, I know this question comes up periodically, but I am spending my own money this time so want to ask.

Looking for a low output (0.2 to 0.4mV) MC cart with medium compliance to replace my Ortofon Rohmann that is coming to the end of its life.

My underlying system trait is a dynamic almost forward presentation with bags of detail. Whilst the current cart contributes to this, I do feel that something a touch more organic would work well.

Trade in is possible and worth nearly £300 on another Ortofon cart.

I have my finger poised over a Hama ML, but what are your other recommended options?

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
TBH you will struggle to better the Hana ML for £1k
Though this koetsu BGL & £1200 with 200 Hrs will walk all over it. Just ask @wizmax he was gonna buy my ML until he heard the BGL which I swapped in whilst he was there, which he subsequently bought to upgrade from his Rohmann.
Screenshot_2022-06-22-20-48-33-77.jpg

mikeyb

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2013
Fife, Scotland
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
TBH you will struggle to better the Hana ML for £1k
Though this koetsu BGL & £1200 with 200 Hrs will walk all over it. Just ask @wizmax he was gonna buy my ML until he heard the BGL which I swapped in whilst he was there, which he subsequently bought to upgrade from his Rohmann.
Screenshot_2022-06-22-20-48-33-77.jpg
Good chance that's slawekt from PFM, might be cheaper away from eBay if you contact him there.

Reactions: It Cost How Much!?!

fordy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 29, 2006
Wirral, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Rohmann is a pretty special cartridge and one of the few models that Ortofon would still rebuild up until recently. Maybe they still would if asked. Could be an option if you've been happy with it.

Reactions: hairyderriere

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Rohmann is a pretty special cartridge and one of the few models that Ortofon would still rebuild up until recently. Maybe they still would if asked. Could be an option if you've been happy with it.
Interesting option, I hadn’t considered that. Tempted by a change though.

Reactions: fordy

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have found most of the specs for the Koetsu but a compliance figure is hard to come by - are they typically in the medium range?

The other factor to consider is my phono stage only has 10 & 100 ohm settings, which may be limiting on some options.

stuartypoorty

stuartypoorty
Wammer
Jul 3, 2008
The Debateable Lands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, the Rohmann was a great cartridge, previously I used a pair of them and a very good match with my Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME V combination.
Since I bought the turntable, 30 years ago now I have only ever used Ortofon cartridges, of the upper end models the Jubilee being the only one to pass me by. Not exorbitantly expensive either, good performers that work well with any number of tonearms.

The MC 7500 surpassed all others, including the later Windfeld. The 2000/3000/5000 worth seeking out.

I’m on an A90 now and eventually it’ll have to go back to Denmark for a rebuild. This one’s a keeper.

Reactions: fordy and hiesteem

myrman

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How much is Shelter 501? There was a couple at Cranage sounding fine ?
Good call but the RRP is £1450. I love Shelter carts but prefer the 5000 to the 501 at £200 more it's well worth the extra outlay. I own both as well as an ML.

If the budget is capped at £1k then the ML is a great choice.

Reactions: hairyderriere

chezi

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Nov 8, 2012
Fun City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I recently renewed my cartridge from Dynavector xx2 mkII ( £1250.).
I was very fortunate that I was able to try an EMT hsd 006 ( £1470.), which immediately had more impact and kinda "grab you by the balls" signature compared to the xx2.
I played around with this cart for a week or two but found listening was more tiring and I wasn't spinning records for hour after hour, well I was but not as much hours as usual, I was up and down gain and load settings on my Primare R35 phonostage and tamed it a little so was happy to proceed with buying the EMT............................
Then came in the Hana ML (£1039).
At first I was a bit disappointed with the laidback sound (compared to the EMT) but after a couple of days and track after track from a load of records , the Hana ML was staying put , and that was before it was run-in.
Sweet sounding cartridge , as good possibly marginally better than the Dynavector ( I reckon the soundstage is wider and deeper) and a lot tamer sounding than the EMT which is still an amazing cartridge but not the type of sound suited to my listening tastes.
Being £200 cheaper than the xx2 and similar in sound, it's was a no brainer. IMHO. ;)

I was extremely lucky that I could try these carts at home on my TT , trying to find a dealer that would demonstrate cartridges in the shop is almost impossible and for that reason I would recommend the Hana ML as I don't think anyone could find fault with this cart at THAT price.

nb: I generally listen to my music loud so have quite a bit of air moving around with my speakers and I'm crap at HiFi words and explanations. :)

chz

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The only potential issue is that I believe John has said a number of times (and others may well agree) that the Hana is far happier loaded more lightly than the standard 100 ohms. People seem to suggest it opens up a bit at more like 300-400 ohms load.

In most cases, it would not be a major issue to modify your existing stage. The vast majority set the basic loading simply with a resistor across the input. It's slightly more complicated if there is an external or inbuilt step-up transformer, but basically still the same method, just with a bit od calculation required.

My default suggestion at the price range is usually the AT, but if the rest of your system is a tad 'forward', the AT may be too much of a good thing.

popol_vuh

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 24, 2007
Croatia
AKA
Zvonimir
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I keep reading good stuff about Hana ML. Did anyone compare this model with stuff like Benz Micro Glider SL or Wood SL? What are the sonic differences? Also, does Dynavector 20X2 (LO version) fall into this quality level as well?

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My 10 cents worth:

Benz Wood SL (happy @ 100 Ohms)
Art 9 (either) (happy @100 Ohms)
Ortofon Cadenza Blue (happy @ 100 Ohms)

The Koetsus are fairly low compliance, at least Speedracer's is (Urushi Vermillion) - he uses a 15 gm effective mass 12" arm which he thinks is barely enough, but I'm not a user. Koetsu house sound is lush.
I respect the Koetsu Black Goldline in general, pass on loading needs.

I've had the 3 I recommend - currently on the higher output Art 9.

Jack NSM

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The only potential issue is that I believe John has said a number of times (and others may well agree) that the Hana is far happier loaded more lightly than the standard 100 ohms. People seem to suggest it opens up a bit at more like 300-400 ohms load.

In most cases, it would not be a major issue to modify your existing stage. The vast majority set the basic loading simply with a resistor across the input. It's slightly more complicated if there is an external or inbuilt step-up transformer, but basically still the same method, just with a bit od calculation required.

My default suggestion at the price range is usually the AT, but if the rest of your system is a tad 'forward', the AT may be too much of a good thing.
Yes, that was my thinking on the AT, might not be a good match for an already lively sounding system.

I think the Hana increased loading applies more to the SL model, whereas 100ohm is ideal for the ML. Is that what others have found with the ML?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.