Newbie Melco questions for owners – options for controlling Melco (N100)

Simon Lucas

Mr
New Wammer
Dec 10, 2020
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
HI. I am enjoying a new Melco N100 (firmware 4.2) and have been using the front panel to play music. This has limitations and I want to explore other ways to control it..

Is a mobile UPnP App  the only way to control the Meclo?

Can UPnP be used without turning of Twonky? (This is annoying as in many ways the direct menu is preferable to an app like Lumin. And if I turn on minimserver then Twonky gets turned off. Twonky enables the play menu on the unit)

Can it be controlled via line in?

If the answer to line in is yes, then an any enterprising person think of a way to add an IR controller?

The minimum I want is to start/pause music withjout going to the unit. I do not mind selecting an album on the front control panel.

Any ideas and insights, please? Thanks for looking....

Last edited by a moderator:

Simon Lucas

Mr
New Wammer
Dec 10, 2020
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My second question is how to make use of playlists on the Melco's internal disk. How to make the file paths in the m3u list work on the Melco's filesystem?

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Simon, the best way to control this would be a suitable app on a tablet. It sounds like you’ve tried the Lumin app. Functionally it is pretty good, what is it you can’t do with it?

Reactions: Simon Lucas

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
No linger active on this forum
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think you are a bit confused!

There's no line in on the N100.

Are you using it as a player only or as a server/player?

Why are you using a Lumin app? Why not use the app designed fir the N100; the Melco HD app?

Melco do state that control is possible from approved Remote controls; no idea what they might be!

If yours is an EX version then you could also use Roon.

It;s a nice unit; just do some more research and reading up on it. The manual is always a good place to start;

https://s39591790a002dc93.jimcontent.com/download/version/1625462280/module/15193877024/name/N1EX%2CN10%2CN100_User Manual.pdf

Simon Lucas

Mr
New Wammer
Dec 10, 2020
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Simon, the best way to control this would be a suitable app on a tablet. It sounds like you’ve tried the Lumin app. Functionally it is pretty good, what is it you can’t do with it?
I'd like to be able to connect without turning off Twonky. It appears that you can only connect if minimserver is on. And that appears to be an either/or option. Twonky is the prefered option for me. Using Lumin would ideally just be a way to stop and start an album when the phone rings, for example.

Aside from that I thought Lumin was pretty clunky. All i want to do is start an album, have it play the whole thing. And potentially pause a song. Yesterday I could play a single song. Jumping between songs was glitchy. Today I turned minimserver back on and I can't anything to play at all. But maybe this is a question about Lumin.

Simon Lucas

Mr
New Wammer
Dec 10, 2020
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think you are a bit confused!

There's no line in on the N100.

Are you using it as a player only or as a server/player?

Why are you using a Lumin app? Why not use the app designed fir the N100; the Melco HD app?

Melco do state that control is possible from approved Remote controls; no idea what they might be!

If yours is an EX version then you could also use Roon.

It;s a nice unit; just do some more research and reading up on it. The manual is always a good place to start;

https://s39591790a002dc93.jimcontent.com/download/version/1625462280/module/15193877024/name/N1EX%2CN10%2CN100_User Manual.pdf
>I think you are a bit confused!

Possibly I am, but there are two ethernet ports. One for connecting to a router and another for connecting a Network Player. It's also possibly a fantasy on my part that the second port could have supported a direct connection. Also, what do people do if they have no direct way to connect Melco to a router?

>Are you using it as a player only or as a server/player?

Player only

>Why are you using a Lumin app? Why not use the app designed fir the N100; the Melco HD app?

The Melco App is basic and only runs on an iPad. People say Lumin is better, but as this is my first foray into using UPnP devices so I do not know. My dealer said use Lumin. Personally (speaking as a software designer) I think it's pretty bad. But the biggest problem is that both the Melco app and the Lumin fail to communicate easily with the Melco unit. 

>Melco do state that control is possible from approved Remote controls; no idea what they might be!

Then this is what i need to know :)   I wonder how they connect as I see no apparent IR receiver.

Where did you read this, though?

>If yours is an EX version then you could also use Roon.

In theory my Melco should support Roon with system 4.x, but  cannot find the Roon download they mention on the website 

>It;s a nice unit; just do some more research and reading up on it. The manual is always a good place to start;

It is a nice unit. Thank-you. I have read most if not all the manual before I posted here. And as you may know it's pretty basic and unclear in a number of ways.

>just do some more research and reading up on it

That's exaclty what i've been doing, and also why I also thought I'd ask other people here, who might have asked these kinds of questions before me. :)

Simon Lucas

Mr
New Wammer
Dec 10, 2020
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
UPDATE

I have just enabled WebRemote. I didn't think about this earlier as I was too busy trying the UPnP route. But this is what i need. Deceptively simple and it runs with Twonky - which means I can continue to use the unit's own interface. Typing in the unit's IP address to a web browser, I get a WYSIWIG version of the player on a web browser page. (See attachment.) I can then click (or touch) the four buttons on the front panel to browser, play, pause etc. It's a tad slow, but reliable. And also this gives me the feeling I can code a simple native iOS app to do the same using HTML5/javascript calls . This is very simple and gets rid of any potential UPnP difficulties. 

Screenshot 2021-10-31 at 15.49.49.jpg

bobovox

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 21, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Simon,  IIUC Melco implement the Openhome extensions to UPNP so Kazoo and MConnect (and possibly the Linn app as well) are alternatives to Lumin (which I never liked either).

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
No linger active on this forum
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looks like you've found a good work around!

I had one for a while, but used it with Roon (you have to set the N100 to run with Roon). The Roon UI is superb, but you need to run Roon Core somewhere on the network, plus there is a subscription. If you use Qobuz, Tidal, or whatever, plus your own files, it is a wonderful way of managing your music and discovering new that I guarantee you wouldn't have found otherwise. I did use the Melco app; it was fine, if a bit basic. Very responsive and quick though.

The reason for the player out facility is really of benefit only if you're using the N100,as a server, with a separate player.

The wording on remote controls comes from the Melco site.

For future ref; if you move on from the Melco, take a look at an Auralic device, either as a pure digital transport or one with analogue outs. They can take internal or external drives, work well wirelessly, have a good app plus you can use any IR remote with them. Much more flexible and easy to control than the Melco (so long as you have an iPad)

WebsurferB

New Wammer
Apr 10, 2016
Hi Simon

I think you have cleverly resolved your own problem, but here is my tuppence worth in case it of use to others.

Have been using an N1A/2/EX with minim server for a while now. Using the MELCO app with Minim on an ipad for a USB connected DAC, but also get good results with Bubble ( I paid the few pounds for the add free version) on a BNC connected DAC via Allo Digi-one Special I particularly like the Random Play function which  tenders seldom heard tracks from one's collection. -and also use Mconnect  on both a mobile phone and android pad. 

The biggest problem is changing across music selection apps - on occassion they freeze up - but I have had the Melco playing different tracks in different rooms controlled by 2 different selection devices.

Minim/ SongKong can be frustrating as it seems to split up Albums sometimes and you need to revisit the web page and refresh it when you add new music.

Am particularly enjoying qobuz played at HIRES via USB and the Melco App - particularly since connecting the Melco via fibre converters (ADOT) from my router.  Beatles Let it be at 96kHz is great.  

Simon Lucas

Mr
New Wammer
Dec 10, 2020
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Simon,  IIUC Melco implement the Openhome extensions to UPNP so Kazoo and MConnect (and possibly the Linn app as well) are alternatives to Lumin (which I never liked either).
Thank-you. I tried mconnect and it could not see/find the n100.  I'm still of the opinion that I'd like to keep Twonky running, which as I explained rules out running minimserver. 

However, I'm still unclear whether Twonky supports UPnP and I just cannot work out how to connect to it with an app. 

Simon Lucas

Mr
New Wammer
Dec 10, 2020
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looks like you've found a good work around!

I had one for a while, but used it with Roon (you have to set the N100 to run with Roon). The Roon UI is superb, but you need to run Roon Core somewhere on the network, plus there is a subscription. If you use Qobuz, Tidal, or whatever, plus your own files, it is a wonderful way of managing your music and discovering new that I guarantee you wouldn't have found otherwise. I did use the Melco app; it was fine, if a bit basic. Very responsive and quick though.

The reason for the player out facility is really of benefit only if you're using the N100,as a server, with a separate player.

The wording on remote controls comes from the Melco site.

For future ref; if you move on from the Melco, take a look at an Auralic device, either as a pure digital transport or one with analogue outs. They can take internal or external drives, work well wirelessly, have a good app plus you can use any IR remote with them. Much more flexible and easy to control than the Melco (so long as you have an iPad)
Thank-you. I'll look at Roon, as an option. Auralic sounds interesting.  

Simon Lucas

Mr
New Wammer
Dec 10, 2020
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Simon

I think you have cleverly resolved your own problem, but here is my tuppence worth in case it of use to others.

Have been using an N1A/2/EX with minim server for a while now. Using the MELCO app with Minim on an ipad for a USB connected DAC, but also get good results with Bubble ( I paid the few pounds for the add free version) on a BNC connected DAC via Allo Digi-one Special I particularly like the Random Play function which  tenders seldom heard tracks from one's collection. -and also use Mconnect  on both a mobile phone and android pad. 

The biggest problem is changing across music selection apps - on occassion they freeze up - but I have had the Melco playing different tracks in different rooms controlled by 2 different selection devices.

Minim/ SongKong can be frustrating as it seems to split up Albums sometimes and you need to revisit the web page and refresh it when you add new music.

Am particularly enjoying qobuz played at HIRES via USB and the Melco App - particularly since connecting the Melco via fibre converters (ADOT) from my router.  Beatles Let it be at 96kHz is great.  
I have not heard of Bubble. So does it control the Melco via the DAC? I'm not clear from what you describe how this works. Of course the N100 has no BNC out, so maybe it's not applicable to me anyway? 

The WebRemote does work. However - sometimes it cannot load the http server on the Melco. I have a feeling it either falls over every now and then , or does not start up properly when I turn the Melco on.  The control via the iPHone this way does wokr but is quite limited. Still - I'm glad I have this option for now.

bobovox

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 21, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Twonky and Minimserver are both UPNP media server applications. The N100 should appear in the “Play to” list in Mconnect if either of these applications are running. 

Bubble is a UPNP control point application for Android - no iOS version though, which is unfortunate for iPad users as it’s rather good.

Simon Lucas

Mr
New Wammer
Dec 10, 2020
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Twonky and Minimserver are both UPNP media server applications. The N100 should appear in the “Play to” list in Mconnect if either of these applications are running. 

Bubble is a UPNP control point application for Android - no iOS version though, which is unfortunate for iPad users as it’s rather good.
>Twonky and Minimserver are both UPNP media server applications

That's what i thought. But when I have Twonky running, I could not connect with Lumin. I'll have to have another go. I just seem to find this UPnP-based client-server solution so ropey.

My dealer's coming to set up a new turntable soon, so i will ask him to see if he can make sense of it.

Mike Hughes

Wammer
Dec 31, 2020
Hi Simon

Have you tried the ADOT at the streamer end? A profound difference/improvement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online