Noisey Volume Control - best solution.

Jelly Tussle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 1, 2013
Hi

My friend has an elderly Denon AVR which is working well other than a noisey volume control. It used to crackle intermittantly; but now does so regularly when used.

What's the best solution?

I've heard that some people suggest using WD40 and others saying to avoid switch cleaners.

I'm guessing that blasting the control with compressed air is a waste of time?

Thanks

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
Caig Faderlube http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/caig-labs-deoxit-f5-fader-lube-142g/

Better after cleaning first with regular Caig Deoxit, but Faderlube is good on its own. Expensive at £20 a can but the best.

Don't use WD40 and be careful with other switch cleaners. Some will damage plastics and/or leave an unwanted film.

The best point of access for pots is usually where the three connector pins enter the housing. There's usually a visible gap and you can squirt the cleaner in. Otherwise look for small holes in the housing. Work the control back and forth about 20 times, dry any excess cleaner/lubricant and leave for at least 30 minutes.

• Upvote
Reactions: Jelly Tussle

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fine initial suggestion above - if no luck with suitable outcome, official manufacturer/quality-supplier is worth contacting - hopefully.

Jelly Tussle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 1, 2013
Caig Faderlube http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/caig-labs-deoxit-f5-fader-lube-142g/Better after cleaning first with regular Caig Deoxit, but Faderlube is good on its own. Expensive at £20 a can but the best.

Don't use WD40 and be careful with other switch cleaners. Some will damage plastics and/or leave an unwanted film.

The best point of access for pots is usually where the three connector pins enter the housing. There's usually a visible gap and you can squirt the cleaner in. Otherwise look for small holes in the housing. Work the control back and forth about 20 times, dry any excess cleaner/lubricant and leave for at least 30 minutes.
Thanks Rob :^

I'll pass this very useful info onto my friend.

cynix

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2011
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sometimes just working the volume control quickly through it's full travel around 50 times or so can clean the contacts sufficiently, without using any cleaning solution.

Jelly Tussle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 1, 2013
Sometimes just working the volume control quickly through it's full travel around 50 times or so can clean the contacts sufficiently, without using any cleaning solution.
Thanks; I'll pass that info on as well :^

I forgot to mention ( :doh: ) that my friend is in the USA; so I wonder if he can get FaderLube (or similar) over there?

hearingisbelieving

Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2011
Bendorf, Germany
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Thanks; I'll pass that info on as well :^ I forgot to mention ( :doh: ) that my friend is in the USA; so I wonder if he can get FaderLube (or similar) over there?
should do as it's made there:D

another recommendation for Caig Deoxit without even needing the Faderlube.

Also to point out the obvious that the amp has to be switched off and unplugged before you go spraying fluids inside it!

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
Thanks; I'll pass that info on as well :^ I forgot to mention ( :doh: ) that my friend is in the USA; so I wonder if he can get FaderLube (or similar) over there?
Easier to get in the USA :) - and cheaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.