Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So the 242’s are happy along with their new owner. I’m left with an Adsm/3, a 4200/1, temporary Majik 140’s (listed for sale on usaudiomart) and am still confused about the path ahead. 

the wifey and I like Exakt but It bothers me without katalyst. We both miss the 3k array

the few options ahead are as follows

1. AEDSM + majik exaktbox-I with katalyst. (Majik 126 or REal T5i)
1.a - Passive Akudoriks.       
1.b - Keltiks / Ninkas  

all of the above would need to be procured 

2. Adsm/3 + Aktiv akubariks

are there any other options I’m missing? Anyone tried option 1 vs 2. If love to hear concrete pros and cons or completely different options with your reasons. 

of course integrated Exakt katalyst akubariks would be a dream but that’s a huge budget. Kantata audio has a used pair for sale in the UK. 

im hoping for no serious changes after this big change and would like to just concentrate on listening to music for the next few years and I can concentrate on acquiring and updating a future LP12

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't know what the availability of Kudos speakers is like in the US Zee but having heard Titan 606, 707 and 808 through an Exaktbox-i (Kat) then they are definitely worth a listen if possible. If the Kudos were to replace Ninkas (I don't want to say 'like for like'  - but similar in size and to an extent nature then try the S20A. Again the S20 A can be taken passive with the AEB-i (Kat). No multi-array but to my ears none the worse for it. You could also just keep the 4200 and use an Akurate exaktbox (Kat) as you only need 4 channels of Exakt.

To my ears the Titans are something else - everything that a Majik Isobarik could have been  - but speakers are of course a very personal thing.

FearOfMusic

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2018
Bristol, UK
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't know what the availability of Kudos speakers is like in the US Zee but having heard Titan 606, 707 and 808 through an Exaktbox-i (Kat) then they are definitely worth a listen if possible. If the Kudos were to replace Ninkas (I don't want to say 'like for like'  - but similar in size and to an extent nature then try the S20A. Again the S20 A can be taken passive with the AEB-i (Kat). No multi-array but to my ears none the worse for it. You could also just keep the 4200 and use an Akurate exaktbox (Kat) as you only need 4 channels of Exakt.
What he said.

I have Kudos Super20 driven by an Akurate Exaktbox-I and they are splendid ... glorious clarity that is not lost when played loud.  I have auditioned (and now ordered) an A4200 to enhance the clarity.

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To my ears the Titans are something else - everything that a Majik Isobarik could have been  - but speakers are of course a very personal thing.
Those have surely crossed my mind. I should have mentioned that I’m only entertaining the used market. I should have also mentioned that demos with used items is almost impossible. That being said there is a pair of super 20a’s available locally in NY. The price keeps changing between 3/3.5k. He’s been trying to sell it for a year. It’s slightly damaged and is the Tineo finish. A titan 707 is also available in NC at $8800. I wonder if the price difference reflects the improvement in sound. I’ve unfortunately never heard kudos. Do you feel it’s similar to a majik isobarik?

The reason I put ninkas in my list was since I saw the most improvement via Exakt with the ninkas and katans. The katans actually surprised me more than the ninkas did. That’s the other reason i’d consider passive akudoriks as I feel an exaktbox-I, akudoriks and a sub would be fantastic sound for the money.

Adsm/3 >> Akurate 4200/1 >> Majik 140’s (Silvers/K400)

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How about a pair of Lejonklou Tundra Monos and passive Akubariks?
I’ve always wanted to try this combo but neither are easy to find in the US as used products. I also am not a fan of fixed voltage (in case we move) and the inability of putting the amps in standby.

I keep checking everyday for a pair of passive akubariks/akudoriks

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@dasher - did you ever hear exakted 707’s vs exakted akubariks? What did you prefer?

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I also am not a fan of fixed voltage (in case we move) and the inability of putting the amps in standby.
…then maybe Solos if you can track a pair down? They can be used anywhere in the world and go into standby too.

Mick

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nestor Turton

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@dasher - did you ever hear exakted 707’s vs exakted akubariks? What did you prefer?

One of the guys in Sheffield had passive Akubariks driven by Klimax twins and Klimax DSM which sounded mighty fine.

‘The next time I visited his home he had sold off the Akubariks and Klimax twins, and bought Exakted Kudos 808 Titans driven by Lejonklou amps. The 808 Titans sounded exceptional, and much like a pair of Linn 350s 

HansBertil

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
Sweden
AKA
Bertil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The reason I put ninkas in my list was since I saw the most improvement via Exakt with the ninkas and katans. The katans actually surprised me more than the ninkas did. That’s the other reason if consider passive akudoriks as I feel an exaktbox-I, akudoriks and a sub would be fantastic sound for the money.
I’ve heard active A212 + K345 sub. That combo didn’t disappoint. At all. The Akudoriks I believe are a tad better than the A212. A sub might be needed.

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
…then maybe Solos if you can track a pair down? They can be used anywhere in the world and go into standby too.
Mick
I’ve been searching for those as well, even before I sold my 242’s.

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Or, if you think out of the box, go for Graham LS5/5. They may look a bit old-fashioned, but they sound awesome.
Probably even more difficult to find on the used market here in the USA. I’ve also never heard those speakers.

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
A combination I am curious about. The Akubariks need to be second hand though.
I heard passive Akubariks on the end of ADSM/3 and Lejonklou Boazu at Kantata Audio.  As long as you're not after party blasting volumes, this was a very very musical combination.  No doubt Sagatun Stereo and Tundra Stereo would be better still, but Boazu did a great job.

Reactions: HansBertil

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

I'm not dasher but I have heard both of these options, not in the same room at the same time, unfortunately.

Both are extremely good.  The 707 gives so much more choice in feeding them - even if the Akubariks were passive but fed by an Exakt system.  Purely because there are fewer channels so a choice of Akurate or Klimax Exaktbox/6 and 2x stereo amps rather than 5x stereo amps mean either lower cost, or better quality for the same money.  Which would I choose?  Probably Kudos, but not sure if my room's really big enough for them, visually.

Reactions: ae111sr and zee9

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm not dasher but I have heard both of these options, not in the same room at the same time, unfortunately.
Both are extremely good.  The 707 gives so much more choice in feeding them - even if the Akubariks were passive but fed by an Exakt system.  Purely because there are fewer channels so a choice of Akurate or Klimax Exaktbox/6 and 2x stereo amps rather than 5x stereo amps mean either lower cost, or better quality for the same money.  Which would I choose?  Probably Kudos, but not sure if my room's really big enough for them, visually.
That is a very important point.

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

No - never compared the two. I'm not the biggest fan of the Linn array approach (heresy, I know - but that's just  my ears). I heard the same pair of passive Akubariks in Sheffield at the same time as Paul - they were good. The 808s have an immense sound.

Reactions: Paulssurround

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.