Linn Owners

One step forward, two steps back…?

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Keltiks would appear to be a 'must try'. I was giving this some thought earlier today. One other route would be the PMC Twenty series. I have heard these on the end of an Active Linn system and they impressed - a lot. I've heard a couple of different models but can't quite remember which. There must be Exakt filters available otherwise I wouldn't have heard them.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Keltiks would appear to be a 'must try'. I was giving this some thought earlier today. One other route would be the PMC Twenty series. I have heard these on the end of an Active Linn system and they impressed - a lot. I've heard a couple of different models but can't quite remember which. There must be Exakt filters available otherwise I wouldn't have heard them.
Keltiks are rare in North America, and even more rare to find available for sale here. They are a wonderful speaker but can be hard to drive and setup properly, especially if they have been modified to become Killer Keltiks.

‘I would give a vote for the PMC’s as they are a nice speaker, with a glorious midrange and bass, if driven properly.

‘However, given what I have read from all of Zee’s posts, I think the ultimate answer for him is Aktiv Akubariks 

Elad Repooc

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2020
Pacific Northwest
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I have to say these tukans that I picked up for dirt money sound really nice with an Adsm/3 and a 4200/1 bi-amped.
I'd have to do some digging, but I may have a spare set of Chakra Aktiv cards for Tukans. If they are where I think they are it will take a bit of time to get to them but would be a nice improvement!

There’s also a REL T5i in use.
Fantastic choice for the speaker(s), I'd highly recommend stereo RELs (or any high-quality sub for that matter) but I am quite fond of REL for their musicality, especially at the lower price ranges. Unfortunately there isn't a good way to use the high level input with Aktiv Linn unless you use an entirely separate full range amplifier, that being said the line level input on the newer RELs uses the same filter anyway. When dialed in properly two subs make a very nice improvement, in fact given the system I might suggest that as a mid-way next step if you want better performance while you sort out a more final speaker solution!

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Maybe I missed it, what speakers are you picking up?
Still deciding between passive akudoriks, Keltiks (both with an exaktbox-I) or aktiv akubariks. Price is Ofcourse the deciding factor

Adsm/3 >> Akurate 4200/1 >> Tukans (Silvers/K400)

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fantastic choice for the speaker(s), I'd highly recommend stereo RELs (or any high-quality sub for that matter) but I am quite fond of REL for their musicality, especially at the lower price ranges. Unfortunately there isn't a good way to use the high level input with Aktiv Linn unless you use an entirely separate full range amplifier, that being said the line level input on the newer RELs uses the same filter anyway. When dialed in properly two subs make a very nice improvement, in fact given the system I might suggest that as a mid-way next step if you want better performance while you sort out a more final speaker solution!
They’re just a temporary solution. I could convert them to aktiv and use the exaktbox-I but they’re gonna get sent to my sister in india as a welcome gift for her recent move back to Bombay so just leaving them passive for her.

• Upvote
Reactions: Elad Repooc

Elad Repooc

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2020
Pacific Northwest
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
but they’re gonna get sent to my sister in india as a welcome gift for her recent move back to Bombay so just leaving them passive for her.
Good idea, having to convert/reconvert before you send them is a pain, and you don't want to even begin to ask her to do so I would think. 

Have never been to India but have friends who travel there for work quite often and tell me it's an amazing place. I wonder how many pairs of Tukans happen to live in India? 

Pennypacker

d^_^b
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Still deciding between passive akudoriks, Keltiks (both with an exaktbox-I) or aktiv akubariks. Price is Ofcourse the deciding factor

Well all jokes and bias aside, from a cost perspective; Aktive Akubariks could turn out as the best solution, they are not as expensive anymore s/h. Plus you can sell all your existing amps and other redundant boxes.. giving you 3K and full range.

Keltiks are cheaper then the Akudoriks, that’s for sure. In between them, the major difference apart from the 3K is the bass extension. Keltiks have effectively 2 complete stereo subwoofers on board, perfectly in sync and very well controlled and integrated via the MEBi. They sound seemless from top to bottom IMHO. 

I’ve lusted for the Akudoriks for as long as they are available, especially with the integrated stands, which are a technical marvel AFAIK, but the Keltik, full range presentation is keeping me from looking in to the Akudoriks since I expect I need a complementing (stereo) subwoofer. I’m that spoiled at the moment.

Reactions: SnapperMike

90sLinn

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
I’ve lusted for the Akudoriks for as long as they are available, especially with the integrated stands, which are a technical marvel AFAIK, but the Keltik, full range presentation is keeping me from looking in to the Akudoriks since I expect I need a complementing (stereo) subwoofer. I’m that spoiled at the moment.
Even with sub(s), are you sure you will get the same bass and midrange ”punch” and other pros of well set-up Keltiks?

Haven’t heard Akudoriks+Sub but K320+K345 and while they are very good, that setup is rather different from Klout/Keltiks. 

As always auditioning is they key, although difficult when not part of current range of speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:

kryno

Nicolav
Wammer
Oct 22, 2018
AKA
Nicola
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dear Zee, remember source first. 

Any attempts to upgrade our system can may be misled by a lesser source.

So buy as soon as possible the KSH and and it will be more evident which amp or speakers to choose.

KSH + Exaktbox-I (or better AEB and 2 4200) + Keltik (or why not the Majik 140) could be a great combination!

Regards

Nicola

• Upvote
Reactions: akamatsu

Eldarboy

Classicist
Wammer
Oct 15, 2018
Hamilton, ON, Canada
AKA
Lewis Silvestri
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am not convinced you would like the Keltiks after abandoning the 242s. As Paul has pointed out, they are a fussy speaker, but in the right environment with the right set-up, are magnificent. 242s set up ExaKt & Katalyst are splendid in every way: I am surprised you let them go so soon. I look forward to Linn providing an Organik upgrade for the AE 10 box. 

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am not convinced you would like the Keltiks after abandoning the 242s. As Paul has pointed out, they are a fussy speaker, but in the right environment with the right set-up, are magnificent. 242s set up ExaKt & Katalyst are splendid in every way: I am surprised you let them go so soon. I look forward to Linn providing an Organik upgrade for the AE 10 box. 
I let them go due to them being the mark 1’s. If I found a decent pair of mark 2’s is surely give them a thought? How was your recent experience of the integrated Exakt katalyst Akubariks? Do you feel it’s a huge upgrade to your setup?

Elad Repooc

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2020
Pacific Northwest
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The Toucan is native to the Neotropics which includes Mexico and south through Central and South America to Argentina, but not India.
I should say something about Fruit Loops, and "follow your nose"...

Although in all seriousness I am somewhat curious about a market like India for a brand such as Linn. Seems to me as if it could do well there?

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I should say something about Fruit Loops, and "follow your nose"...
Although in all seriousness I am somewhat curious about a market like India for a brand such as Linn. Seems to me as if it could do well there?
There are very few Linnies in india that I know off. Both the people I know are using 350a’s. But yes there is a lot of big spenders in india but linn isn’t that famous there due to the lack of a dealership / distribution

• Upvote
Reactions: Elad Repooc

kryno

Nicolav
Wammer
Oct 22, 2018
AKA
Nicola
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As owner of 242, I must say that they are fantastic speakers but they are but very sensitive to an incorrect positioning in the environment, to a wrong setup and a source not at the top.

All is magnified in a context of multi amplification (exatk or analog) where all connections must not only be connected correctly but also the cables must have the same characteristics for all channels (ie all Silvers or all black), same length, same weld quality.

Patience in these cases is essential and every single little change in the system must be done one at a time, otherwise you risk not understanding anything.

This is true for all speakers, but the 242’s are more mangy in this sense, I don’t know why. Akubariks for example are less difficult in this regard, pity there is no longer the passive version.

But once they find the ideal setup, for me 242's are among the most beautiful speakers Linn has built.

kryno

Nicolav
Wammer
Oct 22, 2018
AKA
Nicola
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I let them go due to them being the mark 1’s. If I found a decent pair of mark 2’s is surely give them a thought? How was your recent experience of the integrated Exakt katalyst Akubariks? Do you feel it’s a huge upgrade to your setup?

I Zee, no much difference from mk1 to mk2 in terms of sq. Major upgrade in mk2 are the stand, much more rigid and stable. This give a better control and grip to the music.

So an mk1 with mk2 stands are very close to an original mk2.

Reactions: akamatsu

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I Zee, no much difference from mk1 to mk2 in terms of sq. Major upgrade in mk2 are the stand, much more rigid and stable. This give a better control and grip to the music.
So an mk1 with mk2 stands are very close to an original mk2.
From the info I got the the 3k array (mainly the mid (mainly due to manufactures unavailability) and crossovers) were changed resulting in the newer mark 2.

kryno

Nicolav
Wammer
Oct 22, 2018
AKA
Nicola
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From the info I got the the 3k array (mainly the mid (mainly due to manufactures unavailability) and crossovers) were changed resulting in the newer mark 2.

You got mk2 stand too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.