Phono stage: Cambridge Audio or a.n.other

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I need to get a phono stage but can't spend much at the moment.

currently my shortlist is very short at just one item: Cambridge Audio 640P

I'm prepared to buy this new (£59)because I want something soon and don't want to wait for one to appear on eBay.I can't find one elsewhere 2nd hand (except at Retro Reproductions who tried to sell me a second hand one for £55
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
- talk about taking the piss
glum.gif.19305e5ca189352e84c85f8ec971e437.gif
)

It will likely eventually end up as a backup when i manage to find something a bit better.

before I take the plunge is there anything else I should consider around that price (new or second hand)?

thanks

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
The Cambridge is supposed to be a stonker for the price. Not heard one myself but don't think there's anyhting to touch it under £200 from what I've read. You'd proabably have to get something like the Graham Slee 2se to really better it.

I'd go for it. At £59 you can't really lose
smile.png

Lefty

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lefty wrote:

The Cambridge is supposed to be a stonker for the price. Not heard one myself but don't think there's anyhting to touch it under £200 from what I've read. You'd proabably have to get something like the Graham Slee 2se to really better it. I'd go for it. At £59 you can't really lose
smile.png

Lefty
My thoughts exactly.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
{Right, at the second attempt after my Mac went all weird and back-deleted all my text one character at a time with me powerless to stop it!}
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

I think you're pretty safe with the Cambridge 640P because, by all accounts, it performs well above its price. There's the Nad PP2 but I wouldn't buy one of those over the 640P.

Second hand there's the larger Rotel (can't recall the model number) which can be modded to a degree, but not sure if they go for above your budget. Likewise the Project Phono Box SE that I use which tend to go for £75 and over.

I have heard of the CA 640P sitting comfortably with high-end kit and doing a good job. It may become one of the hi-fi classics.

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought one as a means of getting my LP12 into a Meridian digital system. Sounds fine to me, it has to go through an A-D converter as well, but that was a cheap one as well. I don't miss the Linn phono stage in the Kairn preamp. The sound is very very good for the money.

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
seems like the obvious option at that price point.

will see how much I can knock retro reproductions down, otherwise I'm off to Richer Sounds:party:

thanks ladies

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had just repled in your wanted thread, get the 640p, the MM side is very good, the MC side a gnats better. I changed for a Gram 2SE, which was a touch better, and had a bit more gain, but nothing earth shattering. Just get the 640 then wait for a real top end box to turn up at the right money.

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
dudywoxer wrote:

I had just repled in your wanted thread, get the 640p, the MM side is very good, the MC side a gnats better. I changed for a Gram 2SE, which was a touch better, and had a bit more gain, but nothing earth shattering. Just get the 640 then wait for a real top end box to turn up at the right money.
thanks buddy

i get cone wobble when walking across the floor so the subsonic filter may come in useful. does it affect the sound quality though?

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Duno, never used it, concrete has its advantage, ask Borat- he has one

Borats Baby

Wammer
Wammer
May 2, 2006
Warrington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cant hear any difference in sound quality at all.
smile.png

Havin said that though, cant see any difference if cone flap either
sad.png

Sorry

BB

Still a damn good buy though !!

They call me Ron

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2005
London
I briefly had the 640p and a Gram Amp 2 side by side. The 640p edged it for me, with a slightly more open sound and better build. And at half the price. It's a genuine bargain.

I'm even contemplating getting another one to take over from the stage in my Rega Mira. But… I… must… resist…

nsherin

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2005
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not heard the Cambridge, but it appears highly regarded. The Rotel you mention is the RQ-970BX. Very nice bit of kit - I use one myself with a Pro-Ject Debut II.

I've not modded mine, as I've I've got the electronics/soldering skills of a chimp, but even in it's unmodded form, it still sounds very very good. I managed to buy mine for about £65 second-hand locally, but I've seen them go for more on eBay.

I know Sid & Coke has modified his one with very good results - perhaps he can advise more if you drop him a PM.

rabidlistener

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2006
Brisbane, , Australi
AKA
Mike
Bought one from a fellow Wammer at Xmas. When I first connected it I was underwhelmed to say the least and it sounded worst than the phono stage in my Magnum pre amp. Left it on for 10 days and then gave it a listen - what a revelation. Well worth the price and great value.

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
nsherin wrote:

Not heard the Cambridge, but it appears highly regarded. The Rotel you mention is the RQ-970BX. Very nice bit of kit - I use one myself with a Pro-Ject Debut II.I've not modded mine, as I've I've got the electronics/soldering skills of a chimp, but even in it's unmodded form, it still sounds very very good. I managed to buy mine for about £65 second-hand locally, but I've seen them go for more on eBay.

I know Sid & Coke has modified his one with very good results - perhaps he can advise more if you drop him a PM.
i had considered a second handRotel but unfortunately I don't have the space for a full size box. thanks for the suggestion though

hifienthusiast

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 5, 2005
Portsmouth, , United
AKA
Hon
You may be able find to find a used Moth RIAA phono stage for about £100. It caters for both MM and MC cartridges, built with discrete transistors, designed by Stan Curtis of the original Cambridge Audio fame. It is a superb phono stage for its price, I prefer it to the Trichord Dino. The Moth has a full, warm sound and deep bass.

The Moth is also very narrow, but long. The transformer is housed in a separate plastic box.

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
nsherin wrote:

Not heard the Cambridge, but it appears highly regarded. The Rotel you mention is the RQ-970BX. Very nice bit of kit - I use one myself with a Pro-Ject Debut II.I've not modded mine, as I've I've got the electronics/soldering skills of a chimp, but even in it's unmodded form, it still sounds very very good. I managed to buy mine for about £65 second-hand locally, but I've seen them go for more on eBay.

Hi, bought a used RQ-970BX, with upgraded op amps from IANN a month or so bac £60 inc P&P sounds superb.
smile.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.