Proac Response 1SC's - What kit has a natural synergy with these speakers?

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
After a lot of help from you guys I think I have found the best speaker I ahve heard (would love to try out some Wilson Benesch Arcs maybe but cant see that happening!).

I don't know much about Proac so was wondering whether anyone knew what amp/CD player would be a natural choice for these speakers. My MF kit goes very well with it but are there any other better choices?

At 86dB I suppose it is high current amps etc?

All thoughts gratefully received (I'm not planning any changes but you never know when the right product may turn up
wink.png
- forewarned is forearmed!)

yoda900

Wammer Plus
Sep 20, 2005
Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
If you think it takes high power then you are wrong.
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

Ask Purplepleaser or anyone who was at Borats bake-off as to what a 15W Sugden Music master can do to them.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

All Sugden kit has synergy with Proac speakers.
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

Even the new A21A with its uprated transformer and higher power output will drive them to their limits.

They will not do serious bass with any amps so limitless power is NOT required.

Good clean Class A power is their thing whether SS or valve.

A truly remarkable speaker and thesmall one Or Art monitors that I would choose.

If you have some enjoy them as they vanish into your favourite music. Sonic bliss
biggrin.png

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Cheers Yoda - yes i have some of the 1SC's and they are fantastic!

Do you have any other recommendations for amps?

How about CD players?

P

purplepleaser

its a old picture, no Bijou phono in that one.

I have hidden the ever so neat cabling with descreatly place cds and vinyl.

Stacks of cds seem to have a domino affect:grrr:

:lmao:

yoda900

Wammer Plus
Sep 20, 2005
Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Grasi,

Lees set up is great you can't go far wrong with it.

The Puresound CD and Amp in triode mode work well for under £2K and you can improve them further with a pre at alater date if wanted.

What price are you looking at for amp and CDP.

There is still that Masterclass Integrated on hifi forsale.com. Also stunning with those speakers and you may be able to haggle on price as its been around for a few weeks.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Are they rated at 8 Ohms? Should be ok with a lower wattage Class A valve amp – the Puresound A30 (not that I've heard it). There's nothing like a great pair of speakers to make you grin from ear to ear. You might change things and lose the synergy you currently have. What price range?

[sorry yoda, I'm posting via e-mail and other posts appear before I've finished typing.]

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
TBH I dont really have a price range in mind as I tend to buy second hand so really its a question of knowing what goes well and if it turns up at the right price I'll give it a whirl.

LEE - I think your cable collage is very nice :zip:would've got top grades in my school for Art! Don't let the nasty audiophiles knock you
cry_smile.gif.e6f167d6925baafe229b8957ba771316.gif
rofl.gif.57a0859802223cfb25763a5f876a4be6.gif

A

Alex A

purplepleaser wrote:

DSCF0063.jpg
smile.png

Cables dressing is an art form:nerd:
Gobind you really can'tjust becontent can you?
f_doh.gif.2bfa1ec008d0c8800eee305d3a30be23.gif

If you try anything, it has to be the Sugden kit. An a21a, but since you love the half width stylee, then a music master and headmaser would be superb.

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Alex_A wrote:

Gobind you really can'tjust becontent can you?
f_doh.gif.2bfa1ec008d0c8800eee305d3a30be23.gif
If you try anything, it has to be the Sugden kit. An a21a, but since you love the half width stylee, then a music master and headmaser would be superb.
Alex - I am content but there's no harm in knowing ................................. is there
whistling.gif.b56e45ab421c066833020c8ede98c081.gif
rofl.gif.57a0859802223cfb25763a5f876a4be6.gif

I know what you mean but you're looking at a life long MF'er and there are times I just wonder if the grass is greener!

I doubt itespecially with my current rig but all the comments from people on my other thread about the 1SC's needing lots of power/oomph/current * has got me wondering the X-T100 is really getting the best out of them. If the X-T100 isn't then the power supply upgrade to an X170 is £500 :shock:which pushes the cost of the amp to £1400 and I end up with a spare XXX power supply (you'd never guess I'm a numbers man would you!). My point is that that £1400 is the X-T100 still the right choice or should I be looking to spend say £7-800 on a better all in one!

Anyway, does the Sugden really do dance/hip hop etc as well as all other genres - I just find it hard to believe!

* delete as appropriate

P

purplepleaser

Hi Gobind

I could load the Sugden in the car and let you have a listen. Not sure when or how but the offers here.

The Musicmaster will run out of steam, its just great sounding right up until the whistle.

It does boogie like a
47_47.gif.482d183844f69ef6dec537ae753f214d.gif

smile.png

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
purplepleaser wrote:

Hi GobindI could load the Sugden in the car and let you have a listen. Not sure when or how but the offers here.

The Musicmaster will run out of steam, its just great sounding right up until the whistle.

It does boogie like a
47_47.gif.482d183844f69ef6dec537ae753f214d.gif

smile.png
Lee

Sounds like a good idea and thank you for the very kind offer - I may well call upon your services
smile.png

P

purplepleaser

You may think its rubbish once you havelistened toit. Depends on the volume levels really.

smile.png

A

Alex A

Haven't heard the XT-100 myself, but if it's great with the ProAc you're probably looking at a fair bit more money to get a substantial improvement, and even then you may end up with a KW500 or something
tongue.png

The extra PSU isn't such a problem. If you love the amp when it is upgraded (would love to know if it's a lot better), then that triple X is probably more saleable than you think. I'm sure you could get a fair whack for it from someone who wants the CD player but not the amp. They could buy the CD player from their dealer and save on the PSU by buying from you. Also, if you decide that you want to upgrade the CD player but keep the amp, having the triple X free allows you to sell it as a complete CD player.

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Alex_A wrote:

The extra PSU isn't such a problem. If you love the amp when it is upgraded (would love to know if it's a lot better), then that triple X is probably more saleable than you think. I'm sure you could get a fair whack for it from someone who wants the CD player but not the amp. They could buy the CD player from their dealer and save on the PSU by buying from you. Also, if you decide that you want to upgrade the CD player but keep the amp, having the triple X free allows you to sell it as a complete CD player.
I hadn't thought of it like that Alex - good points
smile.png

I don't feel so bad about the potential costs anymore as I do like the system and as you say a spare xxx power supply makes the X-ray quite saleable - thank you very much.

If and when this extension finishes I'll see if I can get a bakeoff sorted - you guys more than welcome!

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
purplepleaser wrote:

DSCF0063.jpg
smile.png

Cables dressing is an art form:nerd:
Definitely Sugden
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

Would also like to hear a Puresound A30 with the 1SCs.

Biccy's Pioneer A-09 would be a great bet too - for £800 its a steal!

A change to WB Arcs would likely require an amp change too. Stick with the Proacs imo. You're welcome to pop over with your MF amp for a listen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.