Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
just been downloading a ew toons and am astonished at how iTunes plus is a much fuller sound...iTunes sound basic, thin, screechy and transistor radioish by comparison. If all you listen to are downloads of that quality, WTF is the point of having a HiFi system????? :rant:

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
rockmeister wrote:

just been downloading a ew toons and am astonished at how iTunes plus is a much fuller sound...iTunes sound basic, thin, screechy and transistor radioish by comparison. If all you listen to are downloads of that quality, WTF is the point of having a HiFi system????? :rant:
I think all that lossy MP3 malarkey is for people who just love the music :minikiev:

calexico

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2007
Dundee, , United Kin
AKA
Alistair
rockmeister wrote:

Tha's the reason that i don't, and never will, listen to mp3 thru my system. It's a portable format and nowt more IMO. All those who say otherwise are hearing what they want to hear:?. They'll have to prise my CD's from my cold, dead hands:grrr:

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
is there a music source where the whole catalogue is lossless downloadable, the collection as comprehensive as itunes and the cost equivalent (79p a track for itunes +) does anyone know?

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
rockmeister wrote:

is there a music source where the whole catalogue is lossless downloadable, the collection as comprehensive as itunes and the cost equivalent (79p a track for itunes +) does anyone know?
Yes I do know. No there isn't. There's actually very little lossless around - mostly small companies (Linn, Gimell), some orchestras (LPO), small record labels at Mindawn (and iTrax) and a few unsigned-artist aggregators. Oh and the Smithsonian is good for world music.

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
rockmeister wrote:

so, if the future of music is via the download, were all doomed then.....doomed:?
Don' think so:

1. Good old red-book isn't dead yet and I suspect like vinyl it will carry on for a while - even more so. And I don't think people (the majority public not audiophools) will ditch CD as quickly as they ditched vinyl because it so widely playable in cars/DVDs etc.

2. Downloads will become available in lossless/higher res formats simply because there will be profit to be made that way - same as manynew releases are available on vinyl but almost without any overhead.

So actually the future is rosy imo.

Strat

PS: By the way I'm sticking red-book as long as possible!!!

S

sq225917

rocky, Magnatune.com do lossless at cd data rates, flac or wav. They have a reasonable catalogue of classical, fusion, world music.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
sq....great quality, but I've not heard of any single one of their arteeest....a bit of a learning curve, but I'll give it a go...thanks for the tip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online