What should I do with my system?

Mister R

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 24, 2005
London, , United Kin
Hello there.

I haven't posted on here for a while. I wanted to see what your thoughts were on how I could improve my system further. I had some initial thoughts below but appreciate your views based on the fact I really like the Dyn's and the Mono-X's are here to stay- they drive the 1.4's nicely.

Overall, I'm happy withthe system, what it does, how it communicates the music I listen to. Iam aware that there are some mixed views on Cyrus on the forumbut I quite like the balancemy componentsprovide but I still feel I could create even more of a natural, fluid sound through the Dyns than I currently get. So the question is, what would you look at to improve things further?

I listen to dance, chillout and some rock bands etc.

My initial thoughts were as follows:-1. Possibly look at a DAC-XP to replace my Pre-X(however not sure this would be a big improvement. I have a feling the transport area is where I could gain the most improvement?).2. My dealer thinks something like a Lyngdorf Pre with DAC built in would be a great move, given the sound I like and I could use the CD8 as a transport only. The Mono- X's are here to stay:)3. A cd spinner that's an improvement like, for example an Audionet ART V2.

Just initial thoughts. In the meantime I am looking to upgrade the solar wind i/c's to pair up better with the Epic Twin Speaker Cable installed recently. That may help to give a smoother midrange possibly?Your thoughts appreciated!Many thanks,Iain

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
, , United Kingdom
Iain, another way perhaps to put it could be - "what is the best system for my s1.4s" - and from there perhaps have a longer term goal to aim for.

Maybe find a dealer to hear what your speakers sound like on the end of Plinius, SimAudio, Lyngdorf, Krell, etc, etc.

Simaudio:

simaudio1.jpg

Plinius:

dynaudio_plinius.JPG

Stupinder

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 3, 2008
North Korea
AKA
Kim Jong un
Mr R.

I read on another forum a posting from a hifi dealer claiming that he was about to stop selling high end transports and start using a mac as the main source using lossless files and a high quality DAC.

So according to this guy, and a few postings on the wam, the transport makes bugger all difference and its the DAC that's the daddy.

I have to say this route doesn't really appeal to me but the comments were along the lines of "!Ram has no moving parts so is not affected as other transports are" . I have to say i didn't quite get this bit as if you are converting files you are using somekind of transport to convert them and this MUST have some effect.

That said i did dig the old laptop out yesterday and connect it to the hifi using the internal soundcard and it sounded ----er like an mp3 player - but i may well experiment with a ecent DAC in the future.

Not an answer to question I know but thought it may be of interest.

Mister R

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 24, 2005
London, , United Kin
Cheers Darren(thought I'd post this over here too to get some other thoughts).

That Moon system with C1's looks the nuts and I bet it sounds alright!! I heard a big Plinius amp/cd player on the end of a pair of Sapphires and wasn't all that taken however I agree, I could get more synergy with the speakers in mind and will try a couple of different options at home. I don't want to go crazy on changing all of my electronics and I think the Mono-X's are very good with the 1.4's. It's more the cd player area/DAC or the Pre-X/Psx area I think I could improve further.

Iain

john dolan

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 21, 2008
nottingham, , United
The pre in the dac xp is a improvement on the pre x and you could also run balanced leads to your mono x.If you like the Cyrus sound and want to stick with them then id recommend a home Dem of the dac xp.Another option that would work well i think is a Bel Canto CD-2 24/96 CD player.This can be connected direct to your mono x and the size and appearence will be a good match with your cyrus kit.

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Iain, why not adding another pair of Mono-X's to the current set-up? Believe Cyrus systematic allows this and maybe a dealer will help to try this at home. I know you like the Cyrus/Dyn synergy (finally a Wammer who's been using the same system for a couple of years ;) ) and fluent is rather similar to control, surely so with Dynaudio.

Mister R

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 24, 2005
London, , United Kin
Hi Erik.

I do admit I have had my system for a couple of years now although admittedly upgraded with a few tweaks along the way. Not wanting to change things for the sake of it, but feel I can get even more involvement out of the Dyn's that draws me into the music. The idea of driving the speakers with 2 Mono-X's either side is a mouth watering one. I must say though that the single pair do the job nicely. I will try a DAC-XP and see what that's like as a step up with a dedicated DAC added.

I do believe that my dealer has got in a new Lyngdorf room correction unit with separate DAC which he says is an awesome piece of kit and he has suggested he brings it round one night in the next week to see what that does:shock:.

I love the Dyns as I know you do- they just work with the music I listen to(have you still got your SE's?).

Iain

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
you could replace the shivas with vishnu and upgrade your orion to a sigmas or one of the conditioners hifinut has ? still

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mister R - an interesting proposal from a fellow Dynadude:cool:

First - so you're happy with what you have (and you know this is coming I guess!!!!) well just enjoy the music.

But the appetite for improvement is of course always present to lesser or greater extent. The 1.4s from my limited experience (2 sessions in Audio-T) are not an easy drive, and are fussy about placement but when i heard them behind a Naim CDS3/XPS2/252/250 the fluidity and movement was an absolute joy. But it took that level of system to really fulfill their potential. It begs the question as to whether you have reached the end of the road with Cyrus - this isn't an anti-Cyrus point I like their equipment a lot - but I think an extensive home demo with the Cyrus transport/DAC is essential I haven't heard it but assuming there are no jittery problems between the 2 (if there are Cyrus have got a seriously bad problem!!) it ought to be a considerable improvement over the CD8.

As for other brands - I've heard my Contours on the end of an Audionet - darker and deeper than my Naim set up and not quite for me - but it's a cracking spinner - beautifully made it would be worth the test.

Good luck!

Strat

ob1

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 12, 2007
outside....Norwich,
AKA
OB
darrenm wrote:

Good transport thread here,https://hifiwigwam.com/view_topic.php?id=27249&forum_id=1
Good? Well I suppose it was good up until few pagesago :)

now they just on about "prove it to me if you can" again!

Mister R

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 24, 2005
London, , United Kin
Hey Strat, great to get your thoughts.

That Naim system is quite a system by the way.You are correct, the speakers are fussy about placement but they work well in my room. A mate of mine heard the 1.4'son the end of a 300 and he said the results werestaggering.The CDS3 is quite a player as well. I believe you're right, the Art V2 is supposed to be a really nice player and one I want to try so will let you know what that sounds like when I can get hold of one. I may well be at the tail end of the Cyrus journey but like you I like their stuff a lot so a lot to try out for sure to see which path I lead up. One thing for sure is it will need to be a continued balance of the neutrality of the Dyns with a slightly forward and agile sounding front end.

Cheers,

Iain

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
john dolan wrote:

ErikFH i dont think dynaudio have biwire terminals so cant be biamped.
Correct John, though I thought Cyrus amps can be stacked up simply to increase power etc.

Good options of course Iain, hope one of them will do it for you (hope you'll post your findings here :) ).

Still own the black (ash) SE's, they allow me to sink down into the music.

:cool:

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I don't think you'll get the most out of Dyns with the Cyrus monos, TBH. :(

When I changed from Pre-X/aPA7.5's to theRotelpre/power with my 52SE's, the improvement was startling.

Russel (Biscuit) will remember; it was a huge leap forward in performance.

Why not have a punt on OB1's DK integrated? I reckon that would work well with Dyns. :)

I found that when youget close tothe top of the Cyrus range, the only way up is out. At least the little shoeboxes are fairly easy to sell on...

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
meninblack wrote:

Why not have a punt on OB1's DK integrated? I reckon that would work well with Dyns. :)
Didn't got a coherent or refined sound from my Dyns, whenI home-demoed this amp (sorry OB :( ). Result was a bit bulky. Perhaps this wasalso down to a room issue.

ob1

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 12, 2007
outside....Norwich,
AKA
OB
ErikFH wrote:

meninblack wrote:
Didn't got a coherent or refined sound from my Dyns, whenI home-demoed this amp (sorry OB :( ). Result was a bit bulky. Perhaps this wasalso down to a room issue.
no worry mate

I never heard DK with Dyn but it absolutly sang his heart out with LSA tower 2 and Totam arro. I bought Acoustic ZEN which can be a bit heavy at the bottom end (due to my need of have the pair very close to wall) and with DK's thunder (but tuneful :dude:) bass make my Adagio sound a bit heavy handed, hence the sale which purly due to the synergy of the 2 components.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.