Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just posted the below on Stereonet as there is a substantial number of Supratek owners there. But I've been interested for some time in the various types of remotes. Neither my MFA Baby Ref nor Supratek (AFAIK) remotes use the almost ubiquitous RC5 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RC-5) protocol; both preamps have remotes which are cheap and nasty compared with the product they're controlling. These pramps deserve better!

I'd appreciate any insights on whether there are other common-ish standards for remotes out there - and of course any advice on replacements for my dead Supratek one.

The basic remote which came with my Supratek Chardonnay/Sauvignon got moody then died. Changed batteries twice, checked innards for corrosion (non-obvious), cleaned with DeOxit anyway - no joy. Sometimes red light stays on, sometimes it won't respond at all.

I can't find the identical model anywhere - and the amp has always deserved better than this cheap-feeling little thing. Have any other owners with similar remotes replace them? If so, with what? I don't think it's a standard RC5 thing (which would make life easier) but could be wrong.

Your suggestions for alternatives or for finding another Select 1 would be much appreciated.

Thanks from England.

View attachment 617936 View attachment 617937 View attachment 617935

deadflagbrews

Post Rocker
Wammer
Jun 7, 2020
Wakefield
AKA
Dan Gibson
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My Mytek came with the option of learning a remote or using the Apple TV one it came bundled with which doesn’t appear to offer much more control than yours, but looks a bit nicer. Wonder if the Apple remote could be programmed for your gear?

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's my point. I don't know.

I have RC5 controllers from Arcam etc. I'd need the code number for the Supratek which might be hard to find. I've asked maker Mick what replacement remote I could use but no reply yet.

2010*zuma

Super Wammer
Wammer
Nov 12, 2011
Caerphilly castle
AKA
Young Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought this one for all URC6810 off amazon for my gryphon just last week £13.84... Just point your original remote at the one for all and it copy's the remote's action into the one for all... Mine was Philips rc-5 though... 
29238d171d5da865f2118e77ceb6bc56.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

gryphon

Wammer
Wammer
May 18, 2015
I plan to order a Supratek Cabernet later this year, the only thing annoying me is the ugly remote it comes with, for such beautiful amps, it should come with a nicer remote, I think Italian Pathos amps had a nice remote with wood casing, something that would look very nice with the Supratek line.

I brought it up with mick in an email, but his response was that they liked to use the money on the sound instead!!!

It gives the product more appeal and ownership pride when one has a nice looking remote on the table.

Be interesting to know if there are better remotes out there that is useable.

So many things coming out of Asia, one would think Supratek could at least give us the opportunity to buy a more upmarket remote that they could have done in China or Vietnam ?

How do you like your Supratek?

• Upvote
Reactions: TheFlash

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve never owned a learning remote, but that appears to be what you have there, Nigel.  So far, so good!  I assumed you 100% had to have a code to program it, but reading the manual at the link below, it seems the remote ‘might’ be able to learn from the actual device - your amp, in this case. 
Having googled the model number, it seems too coincidental for this not to be related in some way to your broken one. See page 14 onwards for manual code search. 
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/302162/One-For-All-Urc-9910.html

This might be missing the mark, but I’m sure there’s a relatively easy answer.  I’m now checking all my handbooks because I’m sure one lists remote codes!

Reactions: TheFlash

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I plan to order a Supratek Cabernet later this year, the only thing annoying me is the ugly remote it comes with, for such beautiful amps, it should come with a nicer remote, I think Italian Pathos amps had a nice remote with wood casing, something that would look very nice with the Supratek line.

I brought it up with mick in an email, but his response was that they liked to use the money on the sound instead!!!

It gives the product more appeal and ownership pride when one has a nice looking remote on the table.

Be interesting to know if there are better remotes out there that is useable.

So many things coming out of Asia, one would think Supratek could at least give us the opportunity to buy a more upmarket remote that they could have done in China or Vietnam ?

How do you like your Supratek?
I like it very much. 100% agree on the ugliness and cheapness of many remotes for otherwise premium brands!

I have asked Mick what compatible replacement I should use but he’s slower than usual to respond. If he’s using same remote board inside the amp then whatever remote he supplies these days, however ugly, would be really useful to know. Could you post a photo or link?

In response to others, whilst I appreciate your suggestions, I know all about learning remotes, perhaps I should have said. Two reservations: 

1) They might not work. The “universal” is probably not universal. These are RC5 devices to replace RC5 devices. If anyone has used one to learn from a Select 1 then fine but otherwise it’s a gamble.

Also people seem to be forget that the reason I’ve posted is my remote has died. It therefore won’t have anything to teach another! I’d need to enter the codes from a list and only Mick can tell me if the remote is RC5 compatible and what the code is.

2) All I want is volume up and down. Most of these are not only ugly as f..., they have 100 buttons. I’m holding out for something as simple as the original... and hopefully prettier.

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve never owned a learning remote, but that appears to be what you have there, Nigel.  So far, so good!  I assumed you 100% had to have a code to program it, but reading the manual at the link below, it seems the remote ‘might’ be able to learn from the actual device - your amp, in this case. 
Having googled the model number, it seems too coincidental for this not to be related in some way to your broken one. See page 14 onwards for manual code search. 
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/302162/One-For-All-Urc-9910.html

This might be missing the mark, but I’m sure there’s a relatively easy answer.  I’m now checking all my handbooks because I’m sure one lists remote codes!
Thanks Phil. If the 9910 means this has the same board inside then that would be peachy! If I change the batteries on the remote I have to reprogramme it using code 11414. Most RC5 remotes remember the code once it’s been set.

I’ve just remembered that my Arcam remotes can be taught to control other devices... that should be my starting point then. Maybe 11414 is the actual RC5 code I need! I don’t expect to find Supratek in any code list at the back of another manual. Will keep you posted. 👍

t1no

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2014
North West
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a Vivanco UR Zap 2 and the inside from what I can see looks very similar to yours. Same X1 component and electrolytic capacitor next to it. The buttons are very similar except it has an extra "Scan" and "1" and "TV" / "SAT" buttons. It's a very basic TV remote and you have to set up the code before you can use it.

Does your manual state what the code number is you should enter? If you know it then I can look it up on the Vivanco manual. Unfortunately Supratek isn't there.

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi sir :)

Iam using a Logitech harmony which comes reprogrammed with millions of remotes. Please log onto Logitech harmony site and you can search there and see if your supratech is supported. If it is then better to get one of the logitech's with a touch screen. As the touch screen buttons usually memic those on the actual remote. I use a Logitech home elite pro with external IR blasters,  and it controls more than 10 different equipment in my HT system. Apparently it is supposed to be alexa integrated along with lots of smart lighting options. Though I haven't tried them ever. So please check on their site and see, you might be able to get rid of the various remotes like me. All the best :)

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve just remembered that my Arcam remotes can be taught to control other devices... that should be my starting point then. Maybe 11414 is the actual RC5 code I need! I don’t expect to find Supratek in any code list at the back of another manual. Will keep you posted. 👍
The code list I was thinking of turns out to be RS232 codes, another thing I don’t understand!  Quite possibly your 11414 is all you need in a functioning remote!

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just read the instructions off your remote. It says enter a 5 digit code. If you can find out what yours is then you can look it up at this website to find out the actual make and model of the manufacturer that Supratek emulated.

https://codesforuniversalremotes.com/5-digit-universal-remote-codes-tv/
Thanks, useful site! The code I have to re-enter to reprogramme after changing batteries is 11414; unfotunately, that code is not listed. Hopefully Mick will advise.

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi sir :)

Iam using a Logitech harmony which comes reprogrammed with millions of remotes. Please log onto Logitech harmony site and you can search there and see if your supratech is supported. If it is then better to get one of the logitech's with a touch screen. As the touch screen buttons usually memic those on the actual remote. I use a Logitech home elite pro with external IR blasters,  and it controls more than 10 different equipment in my HT system. Apparently it is supposed to be alexa integrated along with lots of smart lighting options. Though I haven't tried them ever. So please check on their site and see, you might be able to get rid of the various remotes like me. All the best :)
Thanks. My Arcam remote is a hugely advanced remote, with a massive list of different manufacturers and devices which can be controlled. But I think all these are possible because RC5 is just about universal. I had a older Musical Fidelity pre/power and there was no way this could be controlled by anything other than the original (or a smilar age/spec MF) remote.

I suspect if your Harmony can control it, my Arcam can... but I need to know how to programme it, and whether 11414 is the code I need. Heading north later today so will give it a shot anyway!

Reactions: newlash09

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a Vivanco UR Zap 2 and the inside from what I can see looks very similar to yours. Same X1 component and electrolytic capacitor next to it. The buttons are very similar except it has an extra "Scan" and "1" and "TV" / "SAT" buttons. It's a very basic TV remote and you have to set up the code before you can use it.

Does your manual state what the code number is you should enter? If you know it then I can look it up on the Vivanco manual. Unfortunately Supratek isn't there.
Thanks again. My code is 11414. That's the reprogramming code afte battery change, should be the same thing I think... but may not be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online