The Blue Danube Waltz

antonbhoy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 30, 2005
Glasgow, , United Ki
AKA
Anthony
Does anyone know who composed the Danube Waltz, and is it part of a whole concerto, (is that the right term)? Also, I know various orchestra's will have played it, so is there any good recordings to be had?

71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

U

Umberto

Johan Strauss composed it.

Better wait for Solid to come along
wink.png

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Umberto Vanni wrote:

Johan Strauss composed it.Better wait for Solid to come along
wink.png
The children of Sweet Music are calling me!

To them I must fly!

diva.gif

Well um... :Not Sure:there is nothing I can offer on the history of Strauss' Blue Danube that can rival the comprehensiveness offered by several musicologists whom you could find online by Goggling. But I can certainly recommend a stonking performance of this immortal work on CD, which no other version can beat. This is Herbert von Karajan's and the Wiener Philharmoniker's 1987 New Year's Concert (recorded live). Perfection!

B000001G84.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This now-legendary performance has an everlasting freshness to it. The Blue Danube has been played to death all over the world, but Karajan's 1987 gem will never tire out your ears.

SS

Kingsley

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 18, 2005
Tipoca City, Kamino,
Ya just a hopeless Karajanite. His Danube is pure cotton candy kitsch. The best Danube comes from Carlos Kleiber and the Wieners at the 1992 NeuJahrsKonzert. The man takes it straight into the 21st century.

Over and out!:dude::dude::dude:

E

earl of sodbury

Kingsley wrote:

Ya just a hopeless Karajanite. His Danube is pure cotton candy kitsch. The best Danube comes from Carlos Kleiber and the Wieners at the 1992 NeuJahrsKonzert. The man takes it straight into the 21st century. Over and out!:dude::dude::dude:
Given that it was written in the early 19th Century with romantic and melodious intent, surely dragging it kicking and screaming into the 21st century is a bit like putting stockings and suspenders on your great grandma?

Kingsley

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 18, 2005
Tipoca City, Kamino,
earl of sodbury wrote:

Kingsley wrote:
Ya just a hopeless Karajanite. His Danube is pure cotton candy kitsch. The best Danube comes from Carlos Kleiber and the Wieners at the 1992 NeuJahrsKonzert. The man takes it straight into the 21st century. Over and out!:dude::dude::dude:
Given that it was written in the early 19th Century with romantic and melodious intent, surely dragging it kicking and screaming into the 21st century is a bit like putting stockings and suspenders on your great grandma?
Ya the reason why everything is SOOOOO WRONG in the classical arena currently. Too many clueless socialites who ONLY want to hear the classics performed in the same manner as their great great forefathers. They don't want any visionary conductor to come along and shake up their preconceived notions. Get an imagination! The greatestpieces in classical music can AND MUST stand up tobeing rendered in a new and unsentimental fashion. Else we consumers are doomed, STUCK in a vicious cycle of endless waffling in <<traditional>> performances.

E

earl of sodbury

Kingsley wrote:

earl of sodbury wrote:
Kingsley wrote:
Ya the reason why everything is SOOOOO WRONG in the classical arena currently. Too many clueless socialites who ONLY want to hear the classics performed in the same manner as their great great forefathers. They don't want any visionary conductor to come along and shake up their preconceived notions. Get an imagination! The greatestpieces in classical music can AND MUST stand up tobeing rendered in a new and unsentimental fashion. Else we consumers are doomed, STUCK in a vicious cycle of endless waffling in <<traditional>> performances.
You see that tiny dot vanishing over the horizon?

That's your last clue... Bye bye little clue...

You confuse old music with new music.

Old music was writen a long time ago by people who have been dead for a long time. Most of them made it clear how it should be performed. Which was thoughtful.

New music is made by people who are still alive, and is full of all the fresh invigorating ideas that revisionist neophiliacs claim they want, yet avoid scruplously because they lack the imagination to embrace anything genuinely new. Instead they bolster the saggy baggy breastfedegos of conductors who have the arrogance to keep reinventing the wheel - naked emperors to a man.

Did you notice how close the word "neophiliac" is to the word "necrophiliac" - the latter likes to dig-up dead old things and use them in unsuitable ways...

Well, this rotten cunt must split - byeeeeeeee!
tongue.png

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can't believe people are fighting over... ... ...a waltz.
glum.gif.19305e5ca189352e84c85f8ec971e437.gif
rofl.gif.57a0859802223cfb25763a5f876a4be6.gif

Get a life and listen to Richard Strauss's Rosenkavalier waltzes instead. These have real meat and bones and sentiment on 'em.
teufel55.gif

E

earl of sodbury

solidstateman wrote:

Get a life and listen to Richard Strauss's Rosenkavalier waltzes instead. These have real meat and bones and sentiment on 'em.
teufel55.gif
[Mister T] Not a waltz, fool, a principle; I don't even like the Blue Danube! [/Mister T]

;)eofs

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
earl of sodbury wrote:

solidstateman wrote:
teufel55.gif
[Mister T] Not a waltz, fool, a principle; I don't even like the Blue Danube! [/Mister T]

;)eofs
biggrin.png
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

E

earl of sodbury

hifiwigwam wrote:

The worst thing is they both said the same thing, just in different ways. :Not Sure:
Not so, in a nutshell - Rentybhoy was arguing for modern reinterpretations of established classics, while I attempted to make a case for performing them as the composer intended (e&oe) while insteadlooking for novelty in new musical works by modern composers.

Though I was arguing for the sheer hell of it TBH
icon_redface.gif.eb51a1f92a0314cdfc14dd3cb4473da1.gif
Don't give a rat's arse about the Blue Danube... :raoflmfao:

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
earl of sodbury wrote:

hifiwigwam wrote:
The worst thing is they both said the same thing, just in different ways. :Not Sure:
Not so, in a nutshell - Rentybhoy was arguing for modern reinterpretations of established classics, while I attempted to make a case for performing them as the composer intended (e&oe) while insteadlooking for novelty in new musical works by modern composers.

To clarify, Kings was arguing on the assumption that Strauss's Blue Danube is a modern, ageless piece which can be adapted to a futuristic interpretation/performance. In thiscase, both of youare in agreement: because you also approve of novel approaches to 'new' musical works.

SS

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
earl of sodbury wrote:

hifiwigwam wrote:

Fair Enough.
:mmmm:
biggrin.png

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
hifiwigwam wrote:

earl of sodbury wrote:
hifiwigwam wrote:

Fair Enough.
biggrin.png
Wha?:shock:You're so easily swayed.

I'm so disappointed.
snob.gif

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
solidstateman wrote:

hifiwigwam wrote:
earl of sodbury wrote:
hifiwigwam wrote:

Fair Enough.
biggrin.png

I'm so disappointed.
snob.gif
Well as much as the Earl couldn't give a flids arm about the Blue Danube, I coudn't give a midgets cock about an argument about the Blue Danube. Capiche?

14-00000002.gif.828495f168ee75f09f640fa4f13bd3a2.gif

E

earl of sodbury

hifiwigwam wrote:

solidstateman wrote:
hifiwigwam wrote:
earl of sodbury wrote:
hifiwigwam wrote:

Fair Enough.
biggrin.png

I'm so disappointed.
snob.gif
Well as much as the Earl couldn't give a flids arm about the Blue Danube, I coudn't give a midgets cock about an argument about the Blue Danube. Capiche?

14-00000002.gif.828495f168ee75f09f640fa4f13bd3a2.gif
Good thing we cleared that-one up.

Better let Anton have his thread back now, and I'd better go shakey snakey...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles