Show us your storage. LP’s, CD’s, Cassettes, Etc.

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a room upstairs where most are kept
Rotate regularly
I’d have to get the CDs stored upright . You’ve got to keep taking a stack out when you want a bottom one .they used to stack them flat in the local charity shops until I politely asked them to do otherwise .. it used to take me ages to go through them .. specially when they we’re also stored close to the floor ..

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I like this idea, but didn’t construct it due to cost, durability, carpets, etc.
IMG_2821.gif
An update on storage developments. You may remember the above idea. Well, “where there’s a will, there’s a way”.

I decided to have a go at problem solving the dilemma of my current CD, and DVD purchases, and lack of storage space.. My drawers were full, and the CD’s were strewn in a disorderly manner across my listening room window sills. Much to the annoyance of my wife.

Fast forward, and over the last 3/4 days, I have been painstakingly constructing some shelves, to fit into one of the windows below. Not just any old shelves, but collapsible, movable shelves.😁
IMG_2914.jpeg
The above window is seldom opened, and faces directly onto the inside of my greenhouse. When I am watching films or TV, I usually have the blind down, and by the time I’m finished, I am normally too tired, and forget to open them again.

By only using scrap reclaimed wood, I have constructed the following “Hinged” shelves, to fit inside the window space.
I appreciate they are currently “rough & ready”, but hasten to add that the total cost has been £4 for two Piano hinges, £3 for assorted screws, and £4 for corner braces. A total expenditure of £11. Plus of course, the blood, sweat, and tears*.

This is the unfinished shelving, which I may get around to “finishing off”, though unlikely. Although it can be seen as rough, with cuts, marks and various holes, they are hidden out of view when closed.
IMG_2918.jpeg
The above picture is the opened version, allowing access to the window if required.
IMG_2915.jpeg
The above is the finished “closed” shelves, in situ for additional CD’s etc.
IMG_2919.jpeg
The above final photo, with all of my new purchases, and many of my older collection, which until now, has been relatively difficult to access. I’ll sort them chronologically and alphabetically at the weekend.

The response from my wife, “So you’ve blocked the window off, and won’t allow any light in. Give you an inch, and you’ll take a mile”🤬

”Thanks dear”.🙄

*Blood Sweat & Tears, a good name for a band, and appropriate for all the effort.😭

EddieRUKidding

Eddie RU Kidding
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Oz
AKA
Eddie R U Kidding p:
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Its old skool for me, 1000 old LPs and some tapes (plus CDs( in various storage locations round the house with 3 Hi Fi systems.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0305.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0305.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4019.JPG
    IMG_4019.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4018.JPG
    IMG_4018.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: Ady and jkbmusic

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
An update on storage developments. You may remember the above idea. Well, “where there’s a will, there’s a way”.

I decided to have a go at problem solving the dilemma of my current CD, and DVD purchases, and lack of storage space.. My drawers were full, and the CD’s were strewn in a disorderly manner across my listening room window sills. Much to the annoyance of my wife.

Fast forward, and over the last 3/4 days, I have been painstakingly constructing some shelves, to fit into one of the windows below. Not just any old shelves, but collapsible, movable shelves.😁
IMG_2914.jpeg
The above window is seldom opened, and faces directly onto the inside of my greenhouse. When I am watching films or TV, I usually have the blind down, and by the time I’m finished, I am normally too tired, and forget to open them again.

By only using scrap reclaimed wood, I have constructed the following “Hinged” shelves, to fit inside the window space.
I appreciate they are currently “rough & ready”, but hasten to add that the total cost has been £4 for two Piano hinges, £3 for assorted screws, and £4 for corner braces. A total expenditure of £11. Plus of course, the blood, sweat, and tears*.

This is the unfinished shelving, which I may get around to “finishing off”, though unlikely. Although it can be seen as rough, with cuts, marks and various holes, they are hidden out of view when closed.
IMG_2918.jpeg
The above picture is the opened version, allowing access to the window if required.
IMG_2915.jpeg
IMG_2919.jpeg
The above final photo, with all of my new purchases, and many of my older collection, which until now, has been relatively difficult to access. I’ll sort them chronologically and alphabetically at the weekend.

The response from my wife, “So you’ve blocked the window off, and won’t allow any light in. Give you an inch, and you’ll take a mile”🤬

”Thanks dear”.🙄

*Blood Sweat & Tears, a good name for a band, and appropriate for all the effort.😭
Wow that’s a wonderful solution and a great price of work. 👏👏👏🥂

Reactions: jkbmusic and bigrod

EddieRUKidding

Eddie RU Kidding
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Oz
AKA
Eddie R U Kidding p:
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Seems that you are into vintage Nad? I just missed out on a really mint inside and out 3020.
Nice, I started out with a 3120 back in the day as a new amp. Been thru many amp brands over the years- even a DIY 120W/channel Mosfet job that used the 3120 as a preamp for many years. But have managed to collect a 1020B, 3155 and 2140 along the way. ;)

hodge555

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 6, 2018
London, UK
www.hoth.uk
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

IMG_2914.jpeg

IMG_2918.jpeg
IMG_2915.jpeg
IMG_2919.jpeg

”Thanks dear”.🙄

If you back the shelves with clear perspex instead then you will let light through where there are gaps in the CD's - it might help pacify the missus... Just a thought

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cd's imo will come full circle and become absolute treasure again in the not so distant future…
I thought that but I've changed my mind , vinyl has that retro chiche and so does cassette but CD is up against streaming and unless that goes belly up I think CD is finished .

Reactions: 2010*zuma

luxury_scruff

Wammer
Sep 14, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm buying much more CD's at the moment, so that rear wall is going to get some shelving. I'll have to be cute around the turntable lid, but it's do-able.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpeg
    IMG_0004.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
Reactions: antonio66 and MVJ

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm buying much more CD's at the moment, so that rear wall is going to get some shelving. I'll have to be cute around the turntable lid, but it's do-able.
Thats very neat and compact I like tidy 👍

luxury_scruff

Wammer
Sep 14, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks. Not ideal placement, but I've got the system sounding nice.

Guiseley eh? I'm originally from down the road in Idle. Ex Wharfedale R&D, then marketing staff in the mid to late 1980's.

Reactions: JustinTime

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online