Small cheap and decent DAC

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi folks,

My kitchen setup consists of a Naim QB (v1) with a CCA attached to it as I got pissed off with absolutely shite Naim control app. So instead running from Tidal native app via CCA.

This is used a fair bit in the kitchen, and it's occured to me that currently I'm using the Naim as a speaker only and using the DAC from the CCA. This can presumably be easily improved upon...

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions upon a v.small form factor DAC, low cost, that might improve the experience?

Needs only a single output and no bells or whistles. It will be tucked behind my corner seating thingy, so I won't even see it. Low cost please only.

Thanks,

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi folks,

My kitchen setup consists of a Naim QB (v1) with a CCA attached to it as I got pissed off with absolutely shite Naim control app. So instead running from Tidal native app via CCA.

This is used a fair bit in the kitchen, and it's occured to me that currently I'm using the Naim as a speaker only and using the DAC from the CCA. This can presumably be easily improved upon...

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions upon a v.small form factor DAC, low cost, that might improve the experience?

Needs only a single output and no bells or whistles. It will be tucked behind my corner seating thingy, so I won't even see it. Low cost please only.

Thanks,
Hi Pete. The small Audioquest will prob do the job ?
Got a cheap one (not audioquest) that I used in an emergency you could have..but its rough.

Last edited:

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can thoroughly recommend a FiiO Taishan, it's what I use with my CCA in the 2nd system. Either that or an unbranded Chifi matchbox DAC, as they're probably the same animal without the nice box & name tag.
Taishan <£35, Chifi <£20. I power the CCA & Taishan from a Chifi 5v LPS (via a 2 port usb adapter) which yields stupidly good SQ, also does 24/192 on spdif and Toslink.

Chumpchops

From the safest places come the bravest words.
Wammer
Oct 3, 2014
Bristol
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can thoroughly recommend a FiiO Taishan, it's what I use with my CCA in the 2nd system. Either that or an unbranded Chifi matchbox DAC, as they're probably the same animal without the nice box & name tag.
Taishan <£35, Chifi <£20. I power the CCA & Taishan from a Chifi 5v LPS (via a 2 port usb adapter) which yields stupidly good SQ, also does 24/192 on spdif and Toslink.
I have a couple of these little boxes. One in kitchen and one on an upstairs TV. Both sounding good with ifi psus.

…..don’t be put off by them being too cheap. Currently £23.99 on Amazon. Rude not to try one.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have an LiTe DAC-AH R2R DAC that would be cheap and you could have but it is not really small same size as an average LPSU . Works really well and sounds very organic it uses eight Philips TD1543 chips four per side . This give a real flavour of R2R and would be a cheap but good sounding upgrade .

Reactions: antonio66

Cool Dude Ted

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2020
Gloucestershire
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve used both the Fiio and Schiit Modi mentioned above.
Not sure what connections you have.
From memory, the Fiio had SPDIF and Toslink; the Schiit Modi USB as well.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The FiiO, Andrew's LiTe, an older anything of t'bay or put up a 'wanted' ad here. If it was me, I'd spend £150 max, and preferably a fair bit less. I've also got one of the FiiO things that cost me £15 used. Way, way better than it has any right to be frankly.

t1no

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2014
North West
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Doesn’t the Muso QB have an optical input? Then you could use the CCA optical output directly into the speaker and use the internal DAC of the Muso

Tony T

Tony T
Wammer
Jul 14, 2020
London
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Beresford, Topping, ifi,
Toslink is 24/96 (info courtesy of the new “no question too stupid to ask” style
sub forum);)

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Beresford, Topping, ifi,

Toslink is 24/96 (info courtesy of the new “no question too stupid to ask” style
sub forum);)
"TOSLINK cables can easily handle 24-bit 192khz sound -IF- you have devices that can both send and receive at that resolution"

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Doesn’t the Muso QB have an optical input? Then you could use the CCA optical output directly into the speaker and use the internal DAC of the Muso
Perhaps having a brain fart. I'm already doing this and, of course, it's a digital signal so must go through Muso DAC and not be using the CCA one.

Therefore, that's sorted then. End of my thread. Cheers all.

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In that case grab a 5v Chifi LPS for the CCA, it's surprising the SQ uplift you get by junking the smps wallwart.

Reactions: Amormusic

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In that case grab a 5v Chifi LPS for the CCA, it's surprising the SQ uplift you get by junking the smps wallwart.
Thanks John. Any chance can link to what you bought?

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do a quick search on eBay for 5V linear power supply and there are two UK ones for sale the one for £38 seems as if it would be okay .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.