Speaker advice needed

Hamish

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 26, 2010
London, United Kingd
AKA
Hamish
I am looking for some new speakers. Budget circa £3k used. Musical tastes are pop through to rock.

Room dimensions are about 15ft by 15ft. Speakers will need to work well close to rear wall.

Any recommendations? WAF is definately a consideration.

SMEagol

Middle Earthed
Wammer Plus
Aug 13, 2008
Lancashire
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well if I had one choice on here, I'd take the Art audio decos in Ferrari silver in classifieds. I owned a pair of these and they were just magical, so emotive, and under budget. They aren't bass monsters either which makes positioning easy.

seasidersrock

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 8, 2009
Blackpool
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Simples. Buy the Audiovector Mi 3 Supers that are in the classfieds as we speak at a BARGAIN price. Yes they will work close to a back wall. Mine are 11 inches away and there fine. They work really well with the Lyngdorf (easy load), i use the 2175 and listen to the same music. Save your self a heap a money...... :^

Von Krolock

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Also have a look at ATC SCM40s.

They work well in rooms your size & close to a rear wall - a foot or so is fine with no bass boom.

New is within £3k but try Audio Emotion.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At £3K second hand you have a massive choice, What music do you like? What have you had before? What have you heard that you liked?

Go to some bakeoffs

Have a look at this thread and visit a few wammers who own stuff you might be interested in

Rodney Gold

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 13, 2013
Cape Town SA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would have a look at a pair of 2nd hand meridian's , like the 5000's 24/96 or 5500's 24/96.. very waf speakers (no dac , no pre , no amp , no cables) especially since they are digital active and all you need is a digital source, ( You will to use a meridian processor with AD (not sure if the G02 you have has an AD) or any decent 24/96 AD which is essentially transparent for your TT , wont rob you of any of the "analogness")

The reason I recommend them is that they have inbuilt DSP for corner/boundary/freestanding positioning and also have DSP bass and treble control , allowing precise tailoring to taste and to some extent the room.

Excellent bass , dynamics and they can go pretty loud , well within your budget too.

Sir_Franc

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 10, 2005
East Sussex
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Audio Note E's would be an easy install in a room like that. Plonk them in the corner, job done.

Hamish

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 26, 2010
London, United Kingd
AKA
Hamish
At £3K second hand you have a massive choice' date=' What music do you like? What have you had before? What have you heard that you liked?Go to some bakeoffs

Have a look at this thread and visit a few wammers who own stuff you might be interested in
Had Tannoy and Wilson Benesch in the past. Looking for something less hifi and more musical than the WBs.

Music wise, a varied collection of rock and pop with a little metal thrown in.

Hamish

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 26, 2010
London, United Kingd
AKA
Hamish
Well if I had one choice on here' date=' I'd take the Art audio decos in Ferrari silver in classifieds. I owned a pair of these and they were just magical, so emotive, and under budget. They aren't bass monsters either which makes positioning easy.[/quote']Missed them...

deggie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2011
edge of birmingham
AKA
keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hamish , have a look at lee henley ... totem forest speeks ..... these are over 4 k new.

l;istened to these a few times, in the classifiieds on here , quality speek at a good price.

Hamish

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 26, 2010
London, United Kingd
AKA
Hamish
I would have a look at a pair of 2nd hand meridian's , like the 5000's 24/96 or 5500's 24/96.. very waf speakers (no dac , no pre , no amp , no cables) especially since they are digital active and all you need is a digital source, ( You will to use a meridian processor with AD (not sure if the G02 you have has an AD) or any decent 24/96 AD which is essentially transparent for your TT , wont rob you of any of the "analogness")The reason I recommend them is that they have inbuilt DSP for corner/boundary/freestanding positioning and also have DSP bass and treble control , allowing precise tailoring to taste and to some extent the room.

Excellent bass , dynamics and they can go pretty loud , well within your budget too.
Thanks Rodney, the Merdian speakers look interesting but unfortunately have no analogue input. I love the D/A converter on my Marantz CD7 and it would be a shame to bypass it.

Any other suggestions out there?

mmar

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 16, 2008
North east
AKA
mick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The usher dancers in the classifieds slightly over budget but a huge amount of speaker for the money.

egg1dog

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 27, 2009
northants
AKA
paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Check out the Quadral range (Aurum in particular) imported by Audio Emotion. Quadral are a German company fairly unknown in the uk but represent amazing value for money and build quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.