Linn Owners

speaker height

Billz

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So, my new sofa arrived today. My old saggy sofa is away to sofa heaven or maybe sofa hell. I reckon I am now sitting at least 100mm (4”) higher. I can’t say I have noticed any change to my sound, but should I consider raising my Akudoriks by 100mm to compensate? Maybe Linn should consider adding the height of your ears to SO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So, my new sofa arrived today. My old saggy sofa is away to sofa heaven or maybe sofa hell. I reckon I am now sitting at least 100mm (4”) higher. I can’t say I have noticed any change to my sound, but should I consider raising my Akudoriks by 100mm to compensate? Maybe Linn should consider adding the height of your ears to SO.
If you get a haircut you can get your ears lowered. 😂

Linn has integrated an average set height for ear positions for SO. It works well for the first few drinks of Scotch 

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Maybe Linn should consider adding the height of your ears to SO.
This adjustment is already there. It used to be set at 92cm, but has been variable for quite some time.

’troll

Last edited by a moderator:

Phobic

Mildly Annoying
Wammer Plus
Aug 29, 2020
Worksop
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, but only if you do not build on mistakes.
it's a mistake to be tall.

I see, sorry.

it's easy for everyone to see this problem, just sit higher up in your seat than you would normally, I calculate I'm almost 15cm above where I should be, try that and see if it makes a difference.

Phobic

Mildly Annoying
Wammer Plus
Aug 29, 2020
Worksop
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't think you understand how speakers work

Johannes

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You can adjust the listening position, i.e. the ears in SO2. I do not understand the discussion.

HansBertil

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
Sweden
AKA
Bertil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The reason the speaker height is adjustable in SO is twofold; 1.  the speaker ends up on different heights since some people doesn’t use original stands, put granite slabs underneath, put vibration dampers under the feet, etc.; 2. The SO algorithm can deal with the “anomaly”, i.e., take the variable height into account. In other words, put the speakers on what you find best in terms of SQ, dial in the resulting height in SO. And in my view SO is no exact science, if another setting sounds better it is better. 

Johannes

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You something under the speakers you change a lot what is not right. An example:

A test newspaper tests 3 record players here in Germany. Linn provided all the tonearms and scanners.

Result of the LP12 sounded best by far but had the worst measured values.
What was the base read the resonances fully through because something cancelled each other out.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You something under the speakers you change a lot what is not right. An example:

A test newspaper tests 3 record players here in Germany. Linn provided all the tonearms and scanners.

Result of the LP12 sounded best by far but had the worst measured values.
What was the base read the resonances fully through because something cancelled each other out.
I’m afraid this one is definitely lost in translation!

Phobic

Mildly Annoying
Wammer Plus
Aug 29, 2020
Worksop
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
imho it's better to 1st move the speakers physically into the correct place, and only use SO to correct placement of the speakers or listening position if you have no other choice.

I think the point that Johannes is making is more that he doesn't agree with isolating speakers. This is a different thing to TT isolation though, so let's not mix the 2 up.

I think we're in danger of confusing 2 things. for those that are interested read about coupling/decoupling speakers on suspended wooden floors. And also read about how off-axis response changes vertically.

Unfortunately I can't find any measurements for the Akubariks, but here's an example for the akurate 242s https://www.stereophile.com/content/linn-akurate-242-loudspeaker-measurements

by my calculations due to my height I'm ~4 degrees off axis, and I can hear the difference if I move. If you can't hear a difference it's not a problem, but that doesn't mean a difference is not there :)

image.png

Johannes

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes here it makes no difference whether I am sitting or standing. Even if I stand about 0.5m in front of the speakers, the singer is still singing in the room just as if I was sitting on the sofa.

@Phobic your speakers are still the same height and completely balanced.

Phobic

Mildly Annoying
Wammer Plus
Aug 29, 2020
Worksop
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Phobic your speakers are still the same height and completely balanced.
not quite sure what you're asking. They are both the same height as each other yes, even with the platforms. when you say balanced if you mean with a spirit level then yes they are. They are both balanced left to right in Konfig as well.

Yes here it makes no difference whether I am sitting or standing. Even if I stand about 0.5m in front of the speakers, the singer is still singing in the room just as if I was sitting on the sofa.
I find it very odd that you can move so much and it has no affect of the sound.

I've got my speakers set up for a single listening position, and know if I were to move 1 seat to either side, or 1 seat backwards or forwards that things sound noticeably worse.

have you set things up for the best wide listening experience across the entire room?

Billz

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you get a haircut you can get your ears lowered. 😂

Linn has integrated an average set height for ear positions for SO. It works well for the first few drinks of Scotch 
Never knew that. I do tend to slouch after the second dram.

Billz

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This adjustment is already there. It used to be set at 92cm, but has been variable for quite some time.

’troll
Never knew that ‘Troll. If that’s the case, what’s all the fuss about speaker height?

Phobic

Mildly Annoying
Wammer Plus
Aug 29, 2020
Worksop
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Never knew that ‘Troll. If that’s the case, what’s all the fuss about speaker height?
SO helps address your room, it can only work with what's actually coming out of the speakers.

as a simple test, turn your speakers around and see if SO can make them sound as good as they are the right way around....

Billz

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't think you understand how speakers work
You insult my intelligence Sir. Electricity moves coil which moves cone which pushes air. What’s not to understand? 
What I don’t understand, is why anyone would want their HiFi to look like it was put together by Heath Robinson. If we keep going Down this line, we will need to sit with our head in a clamp when listening to music. I don’t think any speaker designers expect us to do that, hence multi-directional drivers.

Billz

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
SO helps address your room, it can only work with what's actually coming out of the speakers.

as a simple test, turn your speakers around and see if SO can make them sound as good as they are the right way around....
I don’t use SO. I have never found a setting in SO that sounds better than when it is turned off. I can sit anywhere in my room and my system sounds great. OK, I need to sit somewhere close to centre to get a good soundstage but I don’t need my head to be in a precise position to enjoy it.

Phobic

Mildly Annoying
Wammer Plus
Aug 29, 2020
Worksop
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You insult my intelligence Sir. Electricity moves coil which moves cone which pushes air. What’s not to understand? 
What I don’t understand, is why anyone would want their HiFi to look like it was put together by Heath Robinson. If we keep going Down this line, we will need to sit with our head in a clamp when listening to music. I don’t think any speaker designers expect us to do that, hence multi-directional drivers.
I wasn't intending to insult your intelligence, if I did then I'm sorry.

you didn't say anything about what the solution looked like, you appeared to be dismissing things out of hand for reasons which wen't valid. If I misread what you were saying, again I'm sorry.

My point was that your comment demonstrated that you weren't understanding the point that was being made, which is that SO can't correct issues with off-axis responses.

Reactions: Billz

Phobic

Mildly Annoying
Wammer Plus
Aug 29, 2020
Worksop
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don’t use SO. I have never found a setting in SO that sounds better than when it is turned off. I can sit anywhere in my room and my system sounds great. OK, I need to sit somewhere close to centre to get a good soundstage but I don’t need my head to be in a precise position to enjoy it.
Fantastic, nothing for you to worry about here then, just enjoy your music  :)  

Reactions: Billz

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online