Streamers without Dacs..Sound Quality Differences?

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And some kit let’s this shine through more than others
Transparent, to the original signal, equipment, only need apply. None of this adding a bit of moussaka, rubbish need apply :D   :minikev:

• Upvote
Reactions: Bokke

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is not about adding anything; it’s that many systems obscure this level of musicality and so I agree it’s about transparency.
I totally agree. You said some kit lets this shine through more than others. To hear how a musician was playing, when they were recorded, the playback chain has to be transparent/faithful, to the recording.

• Upvote
Reactions: DomT

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I totally agree. You said some kit lets this shine through more than others. To hear how a musician was playing, when they were recorded, the playback chain has to be transparent/faithful, to the recording.
Not exactly, I don't think Dom means that entirely either.

The whole 'reproduction' to the original is very much a belief of, mainly in the hifi world, by many folks who have never actually made music.

Often its very difficult to relay all of things that happen in a room in the development and making of music, especially with others, onto a recording, this then affects the musicality of a system, because the recording is essentially only capturing a portion of what actually went on. If you play this back and concentrate on this entirely, you lose a huge element of what actually was there at the time, or at least the representation (through whatever means) of it. This is why, I imagine, when I have heard my own music on 'measured accurate systems' it sounded atrocious and not what I 'intended' at all.

Good systems, that manage to show musicality, are able to portray back (using various methods for example through some distortion such as in Valve amps etc - like an engineer does when using different microphones etc) what was actually there, not just what was recorded. This for me is what musicality means, and it is far more important than measurements. I'd rather have a poorly measured system that sang my songs and moved and stirred me then a wonderful measured system that sounds robotic and does nothing other than just to hear the notes I played.

But everyones different, and thats why there is a market, as if it all sounded the same, then it would all be rather dull. I wouldn't ever criticise someone else's choices if they where happy with what they are listening too, I just try to keep an open mind toward anything and everything as a whole new listening experience might be just around the corner.

Last edited by a moderator:

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I said that Steve Jansen was playing with more feel, what I meant was that rather than the kick drum sounding like it almost always had the same velocity, it sounded like he was varying the velocity on a regular basis; which of course he would. So it was something that I heard rather than felt.
This is what I was referring to, and I would imagine, that the recording would have to be faithful to the playing, and to be able to hear that on playback, the system would need to offer a transparent window on to the recording, to fully appreciate this.

• Upvote

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is what I was referring to, and I would imagine, that the recording would have to be faithful to the playing, and to be able to hear that on playback, the system would need to offer a transparent window on to the recording, to fully appreciate this.
Agreed

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not exactly, I don't think Dom means that entirely either.

The whole 'reproduction' to the original is very much a belief of, mainly in the hifi world, by many folks who have never actually made music.

Often its very difficult to relay all of things that happen in a room in the development and making of music, especially with others, onto a recording, this then affects the musicality of a system, because the recording is essentially only capturing a portion of what actually went on. If you play this back and concentrate on this entirely, you lose a huge element of what actually was there at the time, or at least the representation (through whatever means) of it. This is why, I imagine, when I have heard my own music on 'measured accurate systems' it sounded atrocious and not what I 'intended' at all.

Good systems, that manage to show musicality, are able to portray back (using various methods for example through some distortion such as in Valve amps etc - like an engineer does when using different microphones etc) what was actually there, not just what was recorded. This for me is what musicality means, and it is far more important than measurements. I'd rather have a poorly measured system that sang my songs and moved and stirred me then a wonderful measured system that sounds robotic and does nothing other than just to hear the notes I played.

But everyones different, and thats why there is a market, as if it all sounded the same, then it would all be rather dull. I wouldn't ever criticise someone else's choices if they where happy with what they are listening too, I just try to keep an open mind toward anything and everything as a whole new listening experience might be just around the corner.
But I do mean that. Having heard a lot of different speakers and with a couple of different amps over the past week I can safely say that getting to really try to hear what was recorded is a challenge. But it’s a fool’s errand to try and replicate what happened in the studio obviously!

And getting the balance of components to suit your room and listening style whilst trying to maintain transparency is also really hard. 

By the way my old ‘distorting’ ARC SP17 (valve) with ARC D130 is more transparent and coherent sounding than a new Accuphase £5k E270. 

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Fourlegs I ended up buying an Innuos power supply. It’s added the swing that we heard at yours as well as reducing hash. I think that it has added swing in a way that the SBooster didn’t for the Auralic. Very worthwhile. 

Reactions: Griff500

Griff500

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2017
Prague, Czech
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Innuos do seem to make some excellent stuff. I suspect that their choice of designer for their power supplies is a large part of this.

As I've said before, I am perfectly happy with my Auralic Aries G2 and I think it's an excellent streamer with a very good app (this being far better when I purchased it than was available with the Innuos), but if I was looking for a streamer now then I would be sorely tempted by the Innuos Zenith Mk 3

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Innuos do seem to make some excellent stuff. I suspect that their choice of designer for their power supplies is a large part of this.

As I've said before, I am perfectly happy with my Auralic Aries G2 and I think it's an excellent streamer with a very good app (this being far better when I purchased it than was available with the Innuos), but if I was looking for a streamer now then I would be sorely tempted by the Innuos Zenith Mk 3
My Zenith should be here next week, in some ways, I hope it isn't good. (£££££) :)  

• Haha
Reactions: DomT and Griff500

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I don’t know how it compares to the Auralic G1 streamer but am happy that it’s an advance on the Aries Mini. For now still keeping the Mini as I obviously need three different systems set up round the house 😂😂😂

Griff500

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2017
Prague, Czech
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don’t know how it compares to the Auralic G1 streamer but am happy that it’s an advance on the Aries Mini. For now still keeping the Mini as I obviously need three different systems set up round the house 😂😂😂
Only three?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online