Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just wanted to say thanks to xhibitors, visitors and organisers for making this a great show. 
Wot he said. As ever, I only got to poke my head into a dozen or so rooms partly because I got stuck in a handful of others just soaking up the sounds.

Trying to identify the "best" would be meaningless, partly because it's always going to be a wholly personal experience, and partly because there were loads of rooms I meant to visit but...hey, it's raffle time... bugger, maybe next year. But here are three I'd like to give a shout-out to:

- Audio Al in 224. I'd offered to roomsit, not knowing what this particular room would sound like and fortuitously it was one of my faves. Vinyl only, fantastic speakers which someone reliably informed me were Impulse H60 (?), and a Denon deck instead of the expected 1210+OL Encounter. A real pleasure to babysit.

- Norbert and Gabriel in 210. Nudging at the boundaries of private/trade as they work out whether they can turn their prototypes into a viable business, this was a cracking room. I/we stayed and returned and spread the word. Promising stuff.

- Dave in 233. I took four Wam virgins with me this year. It was impossible to stick together of course due to physical room size and personal taste but 3 of the 4 spent time in 233 and we were all pleased we did and gobsmacked by the magic Dave can extract - again - from the most modest components combined by a seriously good ear into a system which would score 0/10 for eye candy but got seriously close to 10/10 for sound. A true magician.

Finally, for me it was great to put faces to so many familiar names from the forum, and all of my friends have already texted or emailed to tell me to count them in for next year. Which is as good an endorsement as it gets.

Thanks to everyone for a cracking day.

Nigel/TheFlash

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Upvote
Reactions: Elfmonkey

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes I agree, a nice chilled out show lots of really good and musical systems.  Nice to meet some old friends and put some more faces to names......

Maybe one day I might try exhibiting myself

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Superbly organised. Thanks to everyone involved and all the visitors to our room.

G

Looking forward to the Wigwam Show 2018 .......  :upgrade:

Its booked. :eek:j:

Its in March. :love:

Its at.......here's a clue

slider_01-970x410.jpg

:stereo:        :rockin:       :stereo:

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just as it's has always been , brilliant , with a few extra trimmings that took it up a notch.

Last edited by a moderator:

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yes it was worth going as usual . big thanks as usual to all who lugged kit . especially max candy , the sony guy who must have bought a good chunk of sonys production from the last 40 years !! absolute nirvana to see itt all

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes indeed. This year Lawrence and I went as tourists rather than exhibitors to get something of the buzz others get from visiting so many rooms.

I was gratified by both the numbers of new exhibitors and the amount of DIY on show, especially active 'speakers which to me has always been the right way to do it!

Nice also to talk to the Linn guys as what they're proposing makes a lot of sense. Yes, you can do what they're doing by 'manual' means, but if they make their software available it'll make designing active filters an awful lot easier and quicker.

It's got me wondering about building some new in-wall speakers.....

Two highlights for me were rv295's huge and impressive Open Baffle 'speakers...it was a challenge just getting them to Scalford, and Greybeard's small actives using those really nasty cheap Behringer amplifiers. Both were very effective in their own ways.

S.

• Upvote
Reactions: rv295 and greybeard

mickbald

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 9, 2015
Shropshire
AKA
Mick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great day. My favourite exhibit was Rick (Bandit Pilot) trying to cope with the previous nights party.

Thanks to everyone who made the effort to make the show work again.

flak monkey

Weirdo Mosher Freak
Wammer Plus
Dec 24, 2010
Norfolk, UK
AKA
Sera
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Agreed, a great show. Our first, but certainly not our last. 

Great to put faces to names at long last xD

Manged to fix a few issues with my setup during the afternoon today. Oh well :)

Thanks for making us so welcome guys :)

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
and thanks to peter who got them to shut that door in the pavilion which was  making it freezing for my lovely lady marking exam papers in there the whole day :D

Brumjam

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2009
Birmingham
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Agreed, it was a great show that felt very well organised from the moment I arrived on Saturday.  Thanks to everyone involved in organising the weekend.  Great to catch up with so many familiar faces as well.  

Big thanks to Ian and Cameron who helped me unpack/pack - I won't tell Ian about the sack truck that Cameron let me borrow to effortlessly wheel my speakers back to the car  :D .

insider9

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 21, 2017
Rotherham
AKA
Lukasz
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, fantastic show. First time for me but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks to all who have gone through all the effort of bring their kit. I've not visited as many rooms as I would've liked but boy did I enjoy the once I visited.

Big shout out to Looper in room 232 who proved you don't have to spend thousands to enjoy decent hifi. 

Also Flak Monkey (Gun room) with her superb amps and these Acoustic Energy speakers that will leave long lasting impression. 

Very impressed with clarity of Sunbeamgls's PMCs with active crossovers in room 237.

Also massive and wonderful creation of RV295 (Windsor room). I hope you don't strain anything transporting them. 

Too many wonderful systems and most importantly people to name. Thank you all! 

• Upvote
Reactions: rv295

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A fantastic show, once again. Thanks to all who made it so - Peter, for taking the torch and allowing the forum and show to continue (and a very professional show it was this time), all of the exhibitors for taking the great time and trouble to allow us visitors to hear their systems, the Scalford staff and last, but not least, the visitors. 

As usual, there was a great variety of systems to hear, some worked in the allotted rooms better than others (as usual) and proved once again the effects of speaker/room interaction,  but the sounds that stood out for me (in no particular order) were:-

Bandit Pilot's and Maverick's lovely MF KW750 paired with AE2 speakers

rv295'z  system with DIY active 4-way open baffle speakers

Jack NSM and Martin Ware's Revel Gem/Horn subwoofer system

Mmichibam and Edd900's system with Kudos Super 20 speakers

Dave's incredible mish-mash  including Tandy speakers, which sounded far, far better than it had any right to do so ( according to Dave, mainly due to the source, taking the signal directly from the dac chip, with no oversampling or filtering)

Max Cando's wonderful collection of Sony products - his passion and the size of his collection were to be wondered at

Brumjam's system with his Impulse H2's (sounding 'boomier' than they do in his living room but still very good, nevertheless)

Last but not least, the system (that I cannot now seem to identify from the programme) that included the 3-way open baffle speakers (2-ways were also present but not in use during my visit).

This is not to discount the other systems at the show, they just weren't as much to my personal taste and/or I didn't feel that they gelled as well with the room in which they were being used. I'm sure every visitor would have a different list of favourites, we all have different ideas of what a system should and shouldn't do.

A big thank you to ALL of the exhibitors who made the massive effort to take their systems along for us to hear. Without your effort, there would be no show and that would be a great loss. This was, I believe,  the 7th show that I've attended and I have no intention of missing any in the future. I hope to attend more bake-offs too, as part of the fun of Scalford, for me, is meeting up with acquaintances and friends I have previously made.

Looking forward to Scalford 2018!

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Phew!

I'm far too tired for a comprehensive list of thanks due, but it would be unfair to end the weekend without some recognition of the massive efforts made by all involved.

Firstly, thanks to Peter and Rachel and all involved in the months of graft and grief involved in making this possible at all. Especially when faced with some pre show negativity. I hope you feel like your efforts were rewarded after your first Scalford and hope your enthusiasm stretches to making it possible for years to come.

To all my fellow exhibitors, it's a gargantuan effort in lots of cases and I salute you.

To the many that helped lug kit, a huge thankyou. I've spent all day hanging out of my own behind and without the willing bodies I'd still be sat in a corner searching for an ounce of energy.

Finally I'd like to say another huge thanks to all that travel to see and hear the show. It's a pleasure to see you all and your positive comments make all the hard work worthwhile. Not every system in every room will appeal to all and that's just the way it is. But the challenge of Scalford is to take your kit into a strange environment and make it work the best you can. You know you've done something right when you see the same faces come in time and time again. I've had a fantastic weekend and hope to see you all and more next year.

Excellent effort everyone!

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, fantastic show. First time for me but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks to all who have gone through all the effort of bring their kit. I've not visited as many rooms as I would've liked but boy did I enjoy the once I visited.

Big shout out to Looper in room 232 who proved you don't have to spend thousands to enjoy decent hifi. 

Also Flak Monkey (Gun room) with her superb amps and these Acoustic Energy speakers that will leave long lasting impression. 

Very impressed with clarity of Sunbeamgls's PMCs with active crossovers in room 237.

Also massive and wonderful creation of RV295 (Windsor room). I hope you don't strain anything transporting them. 

Too many wonderful systems and most importantly people to name. Thank you all! 
Good to meet you too

Phew!

I'm far too tired for a comprehensive list of thanks due, but it would be unfair to end the weekend without some recognition of the massive efforts made by all involved.

Firstly, thanks to Peter and Rachel and all involved in the months of graft and grief involved in making this possible at all. Especially when faced with some pre show negativity. I hope you feel like your efforts were rewarded after your first Scalford and hope your enthusiasm stretches to making it possible for years to come.

To all my fellow exhibitors, it's a gargantuan effort in lots of cases and I salute you.

To the many that helped lug kit, a huge thankyou. I've spent all day hanging out of my own behind and without the willing bodies I'd still be sat in a corner searching for an ounce of energy.

Finally I'd like to say another huge thanks to all that travel to see and hear the show. It's a pleasure to see you all and your positive comments make all the hard work worthwhile. Not every system in every room will appeal to all and that's just the way it is. But the challenge of Scalford is to take your kit into a strange environment and make it work the best you can. You know you've done something right when you see the same faces come in time and time again. I've had a fantastic weekend and hope to see you all and more next year.

Excellent effort everyone!
Great to allowed to play around with your gear, sorry about the damage to the Io with Ed Sheeran mate😂

• Upvote
Reactions: bandit pilot

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great to allowed to play around with your gear, sorry about the damage to the Io with Ed Sheeran mate😂
Only banter mate. Been a belter of a weekend and some* of the music you brought along was fabulous. Cheers for taking on some of the work!

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
.....and no one asked me to play the theme from The Pink Panther  :D

Forum statistics

Threads