That was a great show

Spider

Wammer
HiFi Trade
Mar 30, 2015
Chesterfield
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Our first time as an exhibitor, we had a great day and really enjoyed the whole experience. 

I hope some of you enjoyed our room.

Thanks to everyone who worked hard to organise the show, and to the hotel for allowing us to empty their rooms and make lots of noise.

• Upvote
Reactions: Non-Smoking Man

rv295

Chat Bot
Wammer
Sep 13, 2015
Sheffield
AKA
Ross
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd also like to thank Peter and Rachel for doing an outstanding job - it was really nice to meet you both.  

It was my first time at the show but it felt so well organised. I'm absolutely gutted at how it all went for me right up until the early hours on Sunday morning when I finally got my system up and running.  

My apologies to those I intended to get to see (buy drinks for etc) but I had a power amp go tits up and cost me most of Saturday trying to fault find. Apologies again to those who visited on Saturday to find I wasn't open for action but I was desperately trying to get the system up and running (it had to be top priority).

I only wish I'd have had chance to get around and visit some other rooms.  I can't wait for next year - although I feel the need to come just as a visitor so I can enjoy all the stunning systems there.

Well done to all involved.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and loved putting some faces to forum names - a really lovely bunch of people.

Thank you to those who managed to visit.

After that weekend - I think I need to sleep for a good couple of days.

G

:zzzz: :zzzz: :zzzz: :zzzz: someone  wake me up at 9.30 am tomorrow please i'm knackered 

Last edited:

LebenLenco

Wammer
Oct 30, 2016
I couldn't make it but a friend (non-forum member) went.  He said that Spider's Garrard was absolutely stunning as was Mrs Spider! Also Robin's Acoustic Solid/AN/Clearaudio sounded excellent as well as the AN digital gear in the same room.  Everyone was welcoming and it was a well organised event.  Really annoyed that I couldn't make it but my friend bought me a Yusef Lateef album as consolation.  Hope to make it next year.

• Upvote
Reactions: robin

navigator

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 6, 2012
m1 j28
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Really enjoyed wandering around this year meeting enthusiasts . I was reminded again of how much work is needed to setup and get max sounds in difficult rooms . Well done all . And Thankyou all  .My taste ( bright open quick and powerful) was exactly met by a half dozen demo rooms and close by several others --all very satisfying . Some classic banter too. Rock on folks!!

LebenLenco

Wammer
Oct 30, 2016
Our first time as an exhibitor, we had a great day and really enjoyed the whole experience. 

I hope some of you enjoyed our room.

Thanks to everyone who worked hard to organise the show, and to the hotel for allowing us to empty their rooms and make lots of noise.
My friend loved your Garrard/Audiomods/AN and cant stop talking about your stunning wife! 

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My friend loved your Garrard/Audiomods/AN and cant stop talking about your stunning wife! 
lol, our Kate is lovely, but you need to tell your mate he'll need a minimum of a velvet vortex to even turn her head. Oh and proper chips cooked in a pan!

• Upvote
Reactions: Spider

incognito73

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
AKA
Igor Stankovic
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fantastic! Very well organised, relaxed (although maybe a bit quiet at times), friendly, unreal efforts by some and some extraordinary rooms with equally extraordinary people to chat. Glad to see that DIY/DSP/Active designs are finally sneaking out of shadows. It's good to move on from the comfort zone and offer something fresh and exciting. Young vs old guard ratio still rather unbalanced :)  but that's to be expected! It's a sign of things to come and attracting the young Wam crowd is definitely not easy these days.

Brilliant day, if not a bit short for detailed observations. Two days (public) show would be ideal! Will write a bit more later ... well tired now.

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fantastic! Very well organised, relaxed (although maybe a bit quiet at times), friendly, unreal efforts by some and some extraordinary rooms with equally extraordinary people to chat. Glad to see that DIY/DSP/Active designs are finally sneaking out of shadows. It's good to move on from the comfort zone and offer something fresh and exciting. Young vs old guard ratio still rather unbalanced :)  but that's to be expected! It's a sign of things to come and attracting the young Wam crowd is definitely not easy these days.

Brilliant day, if not a bit short for detailed observations. Two days (public) show would be ideal! Will write a bit more later ... well tired now.
Great to meet you, Igor, and thanks for the chat. Sorry if I sempt a bit quiet but by the time you wandered into my room I was well and truly running on fumes. I should be in bed and snoring now but still buzzing after an awesome weekend.

Mightyquin

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 15, 2016
Brighton
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This was my first visit and what a great day it was, I liked the easy laid back atmosphere of the event and venue and it was great to hear such a wide range of very high end hifi. 

It felt a little odd at first just walking in on the rooms - walking into random strangers hotel rooms isn't something I've ever done before! :)

The advice I was given before the show not to try and see everything was good advice, although I visited quite a few rooms and a couple of them more than once. 

To top it all I won a nice cable in the raffle and picked up a pair of speakers in the for sale section which I've just been having a quick listen to. 

Well done to everyone who puts this show together and I hope to visit again next year. 

G

Phew!

I'm far too tired for a comprehensive list of thanks due, but it would be unfair to end the weekend without some recognition of the massive efforts made by all involved.

Firstly, thanks to Peter and Rachel and all involved in the months of graft and grief involved in making this possible at all. Especially when faced with some pre show negativity. I hope you feel like your efforts were rewarded after your first Scalford and hope your enthusiasm stretches to making it possible for years to come.

To all my fellow exhibitors, it's a gargantuan effort in lots of cases and I salute you.

To the many that helped lug kit, a huge thankyou. I've spent all day hanging out of my own behind and without the willing bodies I'd still be sat in a corner searching for an ounce of energy.

Finally I'd like to say another huge thanks to all that travel to see and hear the show. It's a pleasure to see you all and your positive comments make all the hard work worthwhile. Not every system in every room will appeal to all and that's just the way it is. But the challenge of Scalford is to take your kit into a strange environment and make it work the best you can. You know you've done something right when you see the same faces come in time and time again. I've had a fantastic weekend and hope to see you all and more next year.

Excellent effort everyone!
It takes a builder to hit a nail on the head. Brilliant mate.

:notworthy:

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Only banter mate. Been a belter of a weekend and some* of the music you brought along was fabulous. Cheers for taking on some of the work!
loved it, banter is good

Saturday

1) the Bowie fest in the early hours, which got a certain legend all emotional, but that may have been my malt whisky (right)

2) having the freedom to play loads of music identified what would work well 

Sunday

1) am owed a pint I'm sure if I don't mention a certain mod who fell asleep in our room (more than once)

2) this year it seemed more people were confident to ask for requests, visitors really have no idea how great than is, it is 100% better to play something that people are familiar with, more of that next year please

3) big thank you to the whole room who fell about laughing when I forgot to switch back from 45 to 33, looked like a Smash advert

4) only got round a few rooms, as expected that shipbloke and Robin had nice sounds

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Really enjoyed wandering around this year meeting enthusiasts . I was reminded again of how much work is needed to setup and get max sounds in difficult rooms . Well done all . And Thankyou all  .My taste ( bright open quick and powerful) was exactly met by a half dozen demo rooms and close by several others --all very satisfying . Some classic banter too. Rock on folks!!
glad that you made it David, see you again soon

jhud

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 3, 2013
Rutland
AKA
Jon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, Scalford 2017 WAS a great show. The music and equipment are always the number one priority in an event like this but in my view it was made great by all the PEOPLE who put such a lot of hard work in to make it happen.

So, my thanks go firstly to Peter as the main man and also to Rachel and Carol who worked so hard at the front end.

Thanks also to the Hotel and its staff and everyone else, including the Wam moderators who had a hand in organising such a complex event . The energy and effort put in by all was truly remarkable. 

But my star of the show was none other than Danny "Duvet" who seemed to be everywhere at once putting huge amounts of effort and enthusiasm into the smooth running of the show . He worked his B***s off and I'm not surprised at all that he was so knackered at the end.

So, my biggest thanks go to Danny, seriously well done mate. 

Last edited by a moderator:

x19

Wammer
New Wammer
Feb 13, 2014
nottingham
I agree what a totally enjoyable day, cant think of a better way to spend a Sunday, it has rejuvenated my interest and got me back into some projects for 2017. 

thanks to spider for info on how to build a new 401 plinth - I'm going to have a go, and the room fill from those royds was amazing.

Biggest surprise for me on how to get a sound that I really liked and would like to have at home was greybeards behringer solution, having fiddle with cross over circuits with little success , I'm convinced to go down the active route as it suits my budget/ sound desire.

Could have sat all day listening to 6 foot ally dipoles

Speaker wise I, if I had the cash, the sibelius was superb.

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
sadly didn't get round all the trade rooms, would have liked to get in with Linn guys, good plan to run a session on Saturday, 'fraid the rugby won - but they did seem genuinely pleased with the audience numbers so thanks for coming down guys

on recommendation from aejoker I went and had a listen to the Boenicke W8s in Elite's room, quite, quite astounding and with genuine WAF !

would be interesting to hear them in a room that doesn't allow massive space around them (like most of us mortals have)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles