Wammer
Wammer
Oct 15, 2011
West Yorks
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks once again.  My MAC has a HDD rather than an SSD.  Soshould work pretty well.  Went onto the Audirvana website and can get a month's free trial from the App Store.
Not sure if that would apply universally, the comment refers to the Auralic unit. 

If I'm not mistaken the DAC and SSD is in the same box, which would explain the greater susceptibility to noise.

Ron Hilditch

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 11, 2017
Suffolk
AKA
Ron Hilditch
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not sure if that would apply universally, the comment refers to the Auralic unit. 

If I'm not mistaken the DAC and SSD is in the same box, which would explain the greater susceptibility to noise.
Not sure myself.  Although I can only go with what I've got, well worth a try.  Thanks!

Griff500

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2017
Prague, Czech
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I heard one when I did my speakers demo and it's very good. I was also loaned a Vega G2 for a while and that's a pretty impressive bit of kit.

Basically, Auralic make excellent stuff.  :^

Reactions: DomT

ProJules

Wammer
Nov 22, 2020
Archway, London, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just getting going an Aries G1. 

Auralic DSP EQ  works well IMHO. (Added an additional few dbs bump @ 40hz tonight - not shown below )

But you need to know the numbers to use so I suggest using a software eq on a computer or app that you can drag eq peaks and dips  around with a mouse - then copy those settings (numbers) to the Auralic. 

5979A5AC-9CA0-445C-B5A8-6A75C0800D33.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DomT

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A quick update for anyone who might be interested to say that as I have two Auralic streamers I did a comparison between Tidal and the ripped CDs but on the Aries Mini streaming the ripped CDs from the Altair G1. Listened on headphones (Luxman Da-100) using the Meze Empyreans and the ripped CDs have more detail and the presentation is different compared to the same album at 44.1 on Tidal.  This extra detail and 'edge' that the ripped CDs have is just tipping the balance a little on the Neats in the main system; as always its about the entire signal chain.  

Will follow up on ProJules suggestion of the Eq when I have a minute.

ProJules

Wammer
Nov 22, 2020
Archway, London, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

nomore landings

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2018
Dawson's Field
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I have never ripped a CD and only stream Tidal and Radio paradise ALAC/FLAC. Subjectively and in most cases, SACD is king with Full MQA close second, but there are considerable variations in SQ. I would chose better CD recordings over regular Tidal, with the option to upscale to 8 times 44.1 benefitting harsher recordings. Fine margins and all are a good listen in isolation.There are a few cases where I prefer the flac version to the MQA. EG: Pink Floyd which only unfolds to 16/44.1 so what is the point? Remastered CD version much more dynamic.

ProJules

Wammer
Nov 22, 2020
Archway, London, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have never ripped a CD and only stream Tidal and Radio paradise ALAC/FLAC. Subjectively and in most cases, SACD is king with Full MQA close second, but there are considerable variations in SQ. I would chose better CD recordings over regular Tidal, with the option to upscale to 8 times 44.1 benefitting harsher recordings. Fine margins and all are a good listen in isolation.There are a few cases where I prefer the flac version to the MQA. EG: Pink Floyd which only unfolds to 16/44.1 so what is the point? Remastered CD version much more dynamic.
How are you hearing SACD if your are only streaming? 

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would not expect any difference but, out of curiosity, have you tried Qobuz compared to Tidal?
No QuBuz available in Portugal. Tidal via the Lightning app sounds better than Using a Tidal app and sending audio to the Auralic. On this basis I don’t really want to try anything that is not embedded in the DS app. 

Griff500

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2017
Prague, Czech
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No QuBuz available in Portugal. Tidal via the Lightning app sounds better than Using a Tidal app and sending audio to the Auralic. On this basis I don’t really want to try anything that is not embedded in the DS app. 
I thought Qobuz is a French Company? I am surprised a product produced in an EU country isn't available to another EU country.

I'm not surprised that the onboard app is better than streaming from your device.

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I thought Qobuz is a French Company? I am surprised a product produced in an EU country isn't available to another EU country.

I'm not surprised that the onboard app is better than streaming from your device.
Portugal is the third world and we are not worth it!!

• Haha
Reactions: Griff500

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Qobuz are only in about 12 countries, they did raise some money recently, around Euro 10m, to expand into other countries, now in the USA. Portugal maybe soon, but it does not have a large population.

Largest music markets apparently are USA, Japan, UK and then Germany. 

Portugal only has around 0.76m people who stream music.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would not expect any difference but, out of curiosity, have you tried Qobuz compared to Tidal?
Yes I have tried them. I prefer Qobuz but I don't have MQA DAC. But Qobuz has many HiRes albums than Tidal has MQA. I though Tidal had more album choice but certainly for Jazz, Qobuz has far more choice, I think also Classical is better on Qobuz. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online