Time to decide soon - Planar 6 or Technics 1200GR2

Phyztech

Wammer
Oct 19, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hi, think that desperately need a plug-and-play vinyl. So, considering those 2. A bit of the context:
- Cartridge-wise it will be either Rega Exact or Ortofon 2M Bronze already pre-installed. For future it will be either MC through SUT or some Nagaoka maybe (it has an option mounted on shell, so Technics probably has an edge here).
- Phonostage-wise it will be only amp-internal so Marantz 40n and Croft Integrated at the moment.
- Vinyl will not be my primary source, though occasionally will buy something interesting.
- Previous experience with vinyl at home includes Rega Planar 2, Audio Note One and Voyd Valdi. Liked everything more or less, but didn’t listen or experiment much. Think that Rega house sound will match my taste and never listened to Technics. Basically, I would love to save around 700 pounds with Rega and put it somewhere in digital where there’s no shortage of ideas to spend, but that new direct-drive experience appeals in a way…

What do you think, guys? Thanks in advance for the input.

Reactions: MVJ

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought a Technics a year ago after a decade with a Rega arm on a Michell TecnoDec, which isn’t a million miles different to a Planar 6.

In my case, aside from scratching a direct drive itch (I’d never owned one) I wanted to be able to swap the occasional cartridge with the ease of a removable headshell. I’m very pleased with my GR, and I assume the updated model is better.

Reactions: mrc and Phyztech

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would say the Technics wins hands down having fairly recently moved from a Michell to the Technics 1200G the convenience of the direct drive & removable headshell makes it so easy to work on and play.

There is no going back for me 👌🏻

mac72

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 12, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi, think that desperately need a plug-and-play vinyl. So, considering those 2. A bit of the context:
- Cartridge-wise it will be either Rega Exact or Ortofon 2M Bronze already pre-installed. For future it will be either MC through SUT or some Nagaoka maybe (it has an option mounted on shell, so Technics probably has an edge here).
- Phonostage-wise it will be only amp-internal so Marantz 40n and Croft Integrated at the moment.
- Vinyl will not be my primary source, though occasionally will buy something interesting.
- Previous experience with vinyl at home includes Rega Planar 2, Audio Note One and Voyd Valdi. Liked everything more or less, but didn’t listen or experiment much. Think that Rega house sound will match my taste and never listened to Technics. Basically, I would love to save around 700 pounds with Rega and put it somewhere in digital where there’s no shortage of ideas to spend, but that new direct-drive experience appeals in a way…

Have you seen this , quite good deal IMO as cartridge of your choice is included
https://dougbradyhifi.com/products/...0&_fid=4114a08ca&_ss=c&variant=44148752253140

Amber Audio

This is the Day….
Wammer Plus
Feb 12, 2019
Aberdeenshire
AKA
Angus
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I’d go for a used 1200GR and save a bunch of cash, saw one go for £650 the other day. I owned both G and GR for 3 years, there’s not as much difference as the price difference indicates imo. You could use the dosh for a nicer mat, phono cable, cartridge and headshell.

Radioham

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If Speed stability and wow is something you can detect, then I would go for a direct drive. Some people are more sensitive to this than others. Plus plenty of aftermarket head shells available.

Phyztech

Wammer
Oct 19, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
If Speed stability and wow is something you can detect
Have no idea on this :). Subjectively I loved my Planar 2 though it should be quite unstable. Changed it after my digital surpassed it in terms of sq.

graham67

Wammer
Wammer
May 19, 2010
After recent experience of the GR I would recommend checking the Audio Technica VM750 or 760. To my ears the 150SA cart (virtually identical to the 750SH) worked very well with the GR arm and better than the 2M Bronze I tried which sounded a little sterile. I also thought this arm was better suited to MM than the AT high compliance MCs I tried namely the OC9 iii and Art 9. In this arm these carts produce a distinct HF hash. Although its probably not your current intention I believe the GR would make a superb basis for a higher quality arm that will bring out the best of LOMC carts.
In the meantime stick to a decent MM. Nagoaka will also work well, the latest JT80 being a good match as it was reputedly developed in conjunction with Technics. This medium compliance MM cart displays none of the HF issues i mention above in the Technics arm with a richer presentation than AT or Ortofon.

Reactions: Bazzer and Phyztech

SiT4

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 7, 2015
I would also lean toward the Technics for sound and convenience, especially if you like switching cartridges. That said the Planar 6 is a great sounding and looking deck (if you like what Rega do), but the 1200GR may be picked up at a cheaper price secondhand.

Reactions: Phyztech

SiT4

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 7, 2015
On a side note, has anyone heard the Technics GR2 against the old GR or G decks ? would be interested to hear real world experiences with the deck here.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Staff online

Wammers Online