LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The suggestions I made about how to set the tracking force on an Ekos do not apply to an Ittok LVII.  In that case the reading on the dial will be the same as what a scale would read if you floated the arm properly first.  As to optimum tracking force that can vary a bit from unit to unit, although the Krystal and Kandid seem very consistent at 1.75 grams.  Note that although the Ittok is only marked in .05 increments you can go between the marks.  Don't be afraid to try down to .01 increments.  On the Akiva I found most were best at 1.72 grams.

You can pick up one of the no-name tracking force gauges from China for around $15 or less.  (You can also buy the same exact thing with a brand name on it for over $100.)  I have one of these and they are mostly OK.  Sometimes after reading the TF it will settle back to .003 instead of .000.  Then I just reset it and measure again to make sure it is right.  I now mostly use a Rega gauge as it is more consistent, easier to use and built like a tank.  But it is also $245 and big enough I have to carry it separately from my turntable toolkit.  But getting one of the cheap ones lets you make sure everything is OK with the settings.  Cheap peace of mind.

Andyt916

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2020
Hertfordshire, UK
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would say just listen for how musical, natural and focused the record sounds.
For me, it's about how engaging the music is, how much you become "immersed" in it. For example, in a previous post I mentioned that I dialled the tracking force back a bit to 1.7 for a try. It sounded great and I enjoyed the music, but dialling it back up a bit for the final side I just "felt" the music more. I wasn't just listening but I was "part of the music" and it became an experience not just a listen; my head was nodding, my feet tapping and (despite a bit of a stiff knee) I wanted to get up and dance. That, for me, is when I know I've got it set up right.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For me, it's about how engaging the music is, how much you become "immersed" in it. For example, in a previous post I mentioned that I dialled the tracking force back a bit to 1.7 for a try. It sounded great and I enjoyed the music, but dialling it back up a bit for the final side I just "felt" the music more. I wasn't just listening but I was "part of the music" and it became an experience not just a listen; my head was nodding, my feet tapping and (despite a bit of a stiff knee) I wanted to get up and dance. That, for me, is when I know I've got it set up right.
It's so difficult to describe, but I know exactly what you are talking about.

Reactions: Andyt916

Andyt916

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2020
Hertfordshire, UK
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Indeed, that is the thing. From what I can see I guess it is at 1.6, maybe 1.65. But from what I read here, I need more precision. And yes, after that it's down to listening. 

The dust under the stylus is definitely dust, not crud. So a anti static gun might help. However, I never needed one before. 

When it skips, it skips over very minute spicks (is that English?!?) on the record surface. However, it never skipped on those before. I get the sense it is way more sensitive there now. I can imagine that has to do with the weight difference, as I used to have a much heavier setting. 

I am happy with the many suggestions here, and I will try to find a gauge. Thanks!
@dikkiwhen I had the Adikt first fitted I had similar-ish issues, inasmuch as when I lowered the cartridge to the record surface it occasionally skipped as you described, appeared to pick up a tonne of dust and skated across the record or just fell off the side of the record. I got hold of one of the scales as mentioned by @Dasher and my Ittok LVII 1.75 was actually reading 1.65. So I rebalanced from zero, got 1.75 on the dial reading 1.75 on the scale and have not had any further issues with dust / skating, etc. ~£10 very well spent! 

Reactions: dikki and akamatsu

Elad Repooc

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2020
Pacific Northwest
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I would say just listen for how musical, natural and focused the record sounds.
I'd agree 100%. Another way to describe it for me is to listen for things to sound more "free" - less constrained, more "flow", better timing, things start "dancing". It's a similar thing to finding the right position for a speaker in a room - there are certain spots which allow the speaker to "escape" the constraints of the room. In the case of a phono cartridge I like to think of it as there being a certain point (or points for that matter, depending on the cart) where the cantilever and magnet/coil assembly are working in synergy and allowing the music to flow more naturally from the spin of the record. The way the rod interfaces with the motor assembly seems to have a huge impact, as anyone familiar with the Kandid would know well :)

dikki

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2019
Amsterdam
www.dikki.nl
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Those are already the things I usually listen for. I noticed a big difference in musicality with the new setup. It feels more in the middle of the room, I noticed a considerable effect in sound stage. 

So what I'm hearing here is that tracking force can also be an influence on this. Difficult to listen for that, because the conclusion I reached so far is the result of several days of listening (hehe, I'm a slow learner...). But with a measuring device it should be possible to try it. 

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The way the rod interfaces with the motor assembly seems to have a huge impact, as anyone familiar with the Kandid would know well
When adjusting level, tracking force (I leave this to the dealer), and bias, I visualize the coil end of the cantilever being placed perfectly in the middle of the motor (magnets). After all, this is where the electrical music signal is created.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian_km

Wammer
May 27, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the pointer to the cheap gauge, ordered one to check my setup.

Ian_km

Wammer
May 27, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Gauge arrived, Akiva weighed in at 1.62g, so my manual method seems to have been working, nice to verify.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online