Very Heavy Loudspeaker and amplifier Isolation

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My Urban Hampshire floors are concrete too (screed and timber over the concrete) and 19 floors up, so no traffic influence - and wind vibration is only about 1 c/sec!

I also found significant improvement in bass clarity and detail with GAIA feet fitted to 95 Kg speakers, compared with spikes onto spike floor protectors or directly onto heavy slate slabs.
My floor is solid oak glued to concrete on Devon shale, and Seismic type sprung feet (I had my own made up to my own calculations) clean up the sound. Everything resonates to some degree and transmits vibrations. Even sand (think earthquakes). My speakers are 70kg.
EDIT. Oracle use silicone dashpots on their latest Delphi turntables to damp micro vibrations, as they find that to be beneficial.

Last edited:

ssfas

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2013
London, UK
AKA
Steven
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I think the fundamental problem is that people don't do the analysis based on what kind of floor construction they are dealing with and what kind of problems are present. For example, my listening room has a solid concrete floor sat on top of clay subsoil, and the house is sufficiently far from the nearest road (~100 metres) that subsonic vibration from traffic just isn't an issue and wouldn't be even if it was a suspended floor. So I don't need to isolate the (floor mounted) speakers from the floor - there are no external vibrations to cause a problem, and the speakers aren't going to make the floor resonate - what I need is strong coupling, so the speakers don't rock, which in practice is just a matter of standing them on adjustable feet - gravity does the coupling job perfectly well.

In contrast, in my previous house, we had Victorian wooden suspended floors which flexed considerably, and some kind of isolation would have helped to reduce the degree to which the speakers excited resonances in the timberwork. However, not all suspended floors have that issue - my study/workshop where I run a second system (also floor mounted speakers) is a timber suspended floor, but the floor construction is much more massive than normal, partly because it has a double layer of floorboarding topped by porcelain floor tiles, and it is pretty inert vibration-wise. Having the speakers directly coupled to the floor (adjustable feet again) works very well indeed.

Horses for courses - but it always helps to be able to distinguish between a horse and a donkey, and to tell the difference between a racecourse and a dog track (to mix several metaphors).
I rebuilt 100 sqm of my ground from from the bedrock (or whatever you call it) with ballast, insulation 5 inches of screed and tiles - all except the music room with oak on a suspended floor. Just my luck.

I bought the Isoacoustics ISO-PUCK 76. My speakers are 50kg each. They are the pro version and are half the price of Gaia. I called Isoacoustics and they confirmed they did the same as the shiny silver consumer ones. My speakers are a dark metallic grey, so chrome is a poor match anyway. I also use them for my turntable.

I also have anti-vibration mat for my washing machine.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/etm-Anti-Vibration-Washing-Machine-Mat/dp/B00QVN1JPA

Reactions: chezi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles