Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It has been in use for about 10 hours today, say 18 hours while I have had it, and it just seems to be getting better and better.

There are of course a number of possibilities reasons for this, I'm adjusting to the sound, swapping the cables has done more that I thought, Or the bloody thing has not been used that much.

I contacted the Guy I bought it from. he after all has nothing to loose now, his reply left me a bit gobsmacked to be frank. He told me that when he bought his wide screem plasma, multichannel amp, DVD player and speakers that he thought he should have a CD player in the stack as it were. It has hardly ever been used, and I am in effect breaking it in.

All I can really say to that is it's a pity he didn't buy whatever the matching amp was at the time.

So even more- time will tell, cos just at the minute it's belting our some of the delightful nina simone as if it's life depended on it.
yahoo.gif.427f12e83b189951e0b3a226f4b02209.gif
(It maybe does).

Dannish

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Basingstoke, , Unite
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
nice one!
biggrin.png
. Got mine back on song too:cool:. Removed the Amp from the Tacima filter block and plugged straight into the wall as suggested by the Earl and got a fuller sound without the unpleasant top end that I had been expiriencing. Mucho happy bunny:stereo:

dudywoxer

Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fussy little buggers these danes.

I'm pleased you said that about the tacima blocks, It's saved me from trying one, I was giving it some thought as the power chords do something, don't know what, but something.

Did you try the silly money chord speaker cables then.

dudywoxer

Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, it is-

To be fair i need a sparky in, I have recently swapped rooms for the Hi Fi gear and the old room had a dedicated spur, this one doesn't. It will have early next year though. It would be silly not,to its all of about 10' from the meter.

G

Well if i plug mine into the trailing block it s not as good as when plugged direct

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
my 266 and csa14 run off a spur, with no block. Found this the best way and valves seem to like a clean supply IME. Glad it's sounding better. The 266 from new took over a month until it was singing all the right notes...or until I forgot about worrying?
smile.png

Lawrie

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Guys,

Your Copland units perform well when plugged directly into a wall socket. Obviously, a dedicated spur socket would be preferable to one which is shared withthings like dimmers,etc.Btw, I have four double sockets hooked up to twodedicated spurs andthe whole lot cost me EUR 120.IMO, the vast majority of these mains conditioners/filter blocks not only kill the music but they are a waste of money although some people, it seems, do like to waste their hard earned cash.
wink.png

The interesting thing with these units is that they claim to filter out mainsrubbish yet how many people really test these claims? Using a mains noise tester, we (friends and I) were able toprove that the so-called mains filters/conditioners were no more effective than plugging directly into the wall. The noise levels were the same for both approaches which means that the filters/conditioners were useless. Yet, mainly down to the Power of Suggestion and the fact that some have spent their hard earned cash, many report dramatic improvements when mains filters are used in the chain. If the equipment and its power supply section has been properly designed, it should notrequire some fancy mains conditioner to aid it with reproduction of the music.As with cables, the more expensive it is, the less effective it is and so it is with mains conditioners/filters although there are some exceptions. However, YBBMV.
wink.png

Enjoy the musicâ„¢

Lawrie:D

Dannish

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Basingstoke, , Unite
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I was happy as larry until I got the Tacima filter block. After Earls advice to plug the Amp straight into the wall socket all is well. This week has been pure bliss and right now I feel that i have never heard better(lies)
biggrin.png
. Well not since the 1984 Hifi show at Bristol:shock:. I now think that Copland make some of the finest hifi on the planet:).

E

earl of sodbury

andi wrote:

I was happy as larry until I got the Tacima filter block. After Earls advice to plug the Amp straight into the wall socket all is well. This week has been pure bliss and right now I feel that i have never heard better(lies)
biggrin.png
. Well not since the 1984 Hifi show at Bristol:shock:. I now think that Copland make some of the finest hifi on the planet:).
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
stereo.gif.78ed128503393f1c4bf77692f274c985.gif

istari knight

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2005
South downs
AKA
James
andi wrote:

biggrin.png
COPLAND...........So good the Danes hate to see it leave
biggrin.png

Dannish

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Basingstoke, , Unite
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
istari knight wrote:

mikedefacto wrote:
but not you... bloody heretic!
biggrin.png
Hehe - I would ask Andi's opinion first before making statements like that
tongue.png

He had to wrench it from my cold dead hands !
Yes this was now it was:p. Well not quite but Istari knight didn't look too pleased asI walked off with the His Copland. Seem to remember some muttered excuse about feeling shite with a cold but thinkI know different now:D.

Some observations worth mentioning are:

1. My children have both asked for the Hifi to played:shock:
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
smile.png
:) sinceI upgraded .This had never happened with the Audiolab/Marantz set up.

2. Sarah was always too busy with tidying/whatever women do in the kitchen of an evening to sit and listen. If the telly was on then she would sit down:Upset:. Every day this week she has joined me for a couple of hours each evening:shock:
:shock:
smile.png
:)
smile.png
:)
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif
:cool:
:cool:for some tunes.

In short a worthwhile upgrade to not only the hifi, but to my family's enjoyment of music:cool:

istari knight

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2005
South downs
AKA
James
I honestly had a cold at the time but lets face it - The Copland was wasted on me , yes i enjoyed more than any other Cd player ive ever owned But It had so much more potential ie. the copland amp & better speakers.....

Im currently dabbling with Chinese tubes but hope to return to Copland Within the next few years
pray.gif.84955f3b1709939cd9186fd2e3d88a8e.gif

Oh btw , what Cables are you using between Cd-Amp Andi ? Always found ofc copper or lc-ofc copper preferable to silver/silverplated with the copland......

As for mains cables.....I heard no change but lets not go there ! :gag:

Anyways , glad your enjoying it

James.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As mentioned before, I found the Copland CDP into Rega amps to be quite tiresome. The Densen amp brought back the warmth and envolvement you speak of. Synergy is everything.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lawrie wrote:

Guys,Your Copland units perform well when plugged directly into a wall socket. Obviously, a dedicated spur socket would be preferable to one which is shared withthings like dimmers,etc.Btw, I have four double sockets hooked up to twodedicated spurs andthe whole lot cost me EUR 120.IMO, the vast majority of these mains conditioners/filter blocks not only kill the music but they are a waste of money although some people, it seems, do like to waste their hard earned cash.
wink.png

The interesting thing with these units is that they claim to filter out mainsrubbish yet how many people really test these claims? Using a mains noise tester, we (friends and I) were able toprove that the so-called mains filters/conditioners were no more effective than plugging directly into the wall. The noise levels were the same for both approaches which means that the filters/conditioners were useless. Yet, mainly down to the Power of Suggestion and the fact that some have spent their hard earned cash, many report dramatic improvements when mains filters are used in the chain. If the equipment and its power supply section has been properly designed, it should notrequire some fancy mains conditioner to aid it with reproduction of the music.As with cables, the more expensive it is, the less effective it is and so it is with mains conditioners/filters although there are some exceptions. However, YBBMV.
wink.png

Enjoy the musicâ„¢

Lawrie:D
Bloody
goodpost.gif.00822561e807cf35c79b3503f2e609d0.gif

some people buy hoepathic remedies too, they swear by them, yet they make no difference either. Just another confidence trick, like so much in this world. Trust your eyes and ears yes, but think about what causes your eyes and ears to see and hear the things they do.

dudywoxer

Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
HiFiWigWam wrote:

As mentioned before, I found the Copland CDP into Rega amps to be quite tiresome. The Densen amp brought back the warmth and envolvement you speak of. Synergy is everything.
It is actually anything but tiresome, (other than sleep inducing to start with). It has taken a little while to get it sorted, but it now seems to have the pace and drive of the planet, but with more detail retreival. It is a more colourful reproduction than the planet- wider sound stage, more air to the music etc, but it has stopped throwing the detail at you and started to play music.

I stripped the cables that came with it for a look, they are nameless, with good quality connectors, but appear to be silver plated copper of some variety- or at least they were, they are skip fodder now.

I am not what you would call a cable believer, but in this case using a set of chord cobras has helped the the presentation considerably, as has the number of hours play the thing has had.

I have also realised that it does such a bloody marvellous jobs in some area's , that it emphasises the bits where it is not quiet as good. It is not that it does them badly, its just not quiet as good.

I intend to keep using it for the next 2 or 3 weeks, then put the planet back in for a while, and try to get another listen to the Saturn at the same time. A used planet and copland ought to get me half way to a Saturn if thats what I decide to do.

E

earl of sodbury

andi wrote:

... In short a worthwhile upgrade to not only the hifi, but to my family's enjoyment of music:cool:
Now THAT really is a result worth having!
yahoo.gif.427f12e83b189951e0b3a226f4b02209.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.