Wammer
Wammer
Feb 7, 2006
Ormskirk
AKA
Guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not necessarily the "best", or most expensive, but the one you have always liked, and/or seems to follow you from table to table?

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a soft spot for Jelcos. Certainly the engineering seems outstanding at their price point, but if I had to buy just one arm, I'd still go for the SME M2 series. I don't tend to have anything that cost lots, so this is the nicest arm I ever found that I could afford.

B

BD Audio

Dare I say it depends on the cartridge. For solid engineering I loved my old SME312S, it was a joy to use even when boozing. The new AN arm is a perfect match for my IO cart, I've never got on with full blown unipivots, all that wibbly cueing.... :nerves:

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
SME 3009 improved. I've had both fixed and detachable headshell versions in the past and still have the detachable one on my 401. An old favourite that gives me pleasure every time I use it just for its looks anf feel.

For sheer engineering elegance, the one on my AEG TRS9000 takes a lot of beating.I don't know anothef arm that has an electrically applied bias compensator that's only active whern the arm is down and the turntable rotating.

S

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My Well Tempered.

I can't say it's followed me from turntable to turntable, as it's part of the WT deck. Quite possibly it could be removed/transferred, but I have no desire to try this as it would involve tears and leave me with a useless TT.

It does near nothing. The suspension is insane, as is the damping. Ralph Steadman at his most mad could not have come up with anything more bizarre. Yet the damned thing works. It seems immune from everything, and any cartridge I have managed to bolt onto it (inevitably requiring re-soldering of cartridge tags onto possibly the thinnest wire known) manages to perform at seemingly its best.

In some ways, it (like the rest of the WT) is a spiteful bastard that repays love and attention by breaking.

I love it.

B

BD Audio

SME 3009 improved. I've had both fixed and detachable headshell versions in the past and still have the detachable one on my 401. An old favourite that gives me pleasure every time I use it just for its looks anf feel.
I have an older version here at the moment for my Thorens project, heavy weight and outrigger, detachable headshell. It's very good considering the arm lead is corroded and the age of the thing (1965 I believe). Bearing seems to be in great condition, it's nice and shiny. I'm well impressed.

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
SME V for me, when being a junior audiophile l made it a mission to some day own one, the looks are just stunning to me and are tireless, then you have the legendary engineering and great sound quality too, l just love the sound/looks of the arm( it even makes my Techie look quite nice.) :)

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I adore my Nottingham Analogue Ace Anna. Very simple, sensible engineering and once it's set up it stays that way, despite being a uni pivot.

Last Order

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 24, 2013
in6h.jpg

Blurboy

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 4, 2012
UK
My first Linn was fitted with the obligatory Ittok LVII and really enjoyed the results but I fitted a Zeta and to me it was better and I now have another after a long search for one. I think my SME V is astonishing in it's engineering and the sound from my tt is fabulous but the Zeta is and was the one I hunkered for so that's the one that gets my vote.

Popey

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 19, 2013
Swindon
AKA
Mark
I'm still very fond of my Ittok LVIII, though I do sometimes miss the Mission 774 that it replaced. It has a unique look and sounded pretty good too.

I have a hankering for a SME V, for similar reasons to Tarzan, though that will have to wait until I get around to replacing my deck. That's a while away though...

G

The best system I've ever heard had an SME V in it so it would be one of those I guess...

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Helius Orion - The first system that I heard that had the wow factor had one of these on a Pink Triangle T/T using an Audionote IO into an Audionote transformer. Also the Mission 774 that I used on first a Thorens 160S then Linn Sondek with a Lentek Entre mc cart, gave some great results.

speedysteve

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fidelity Research FR64s.

Makes most other arms seem flimsy:)

A 66s would trump it though.

sonyboy0444

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2009
UK
My SME V (on my third) which has seen off quite a few other much touted arms , but would love to try the V-12.

take5

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2008
lancs
AKA
brian
30 years ago I had an LP12 with a Grace arm. I really loved that set up.

I always lusted after a change to an Ittok, but never got around to it.

So, when I got back into Hi Fi and Turntables a few years ago, I bought an LP12 with Ittok. I didnt like it. Illusions shattered. Oh yes.

I then had a Voyd with SME 5 and that was really great. Probably my best so far. Then an Orbe with SME 4. That was nice too. I liked both of those arms.

Now I have an older SME 3012 and I really like the sounds coming out of that.

I do find it difficult to say what component is good or bad in a given set up.

So...Crap arm/good arm/crap cartridge/good cartridge/crap turntable/good turntable.

Who knows?

But I also have one waiting to be used, and I think/hope that it is going to be "the one".

Its an Audio Origami 12" PU7. I do like the way it looks and feels, so my mind is receptive to it being my favourite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.