Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2013
Cheltenham
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I shouldn't laugh....but when I see the phrase "cunting problem" it really appeals to my teenage side. Such a great saying for deep shit.. !

S

stereo70

I shouldn't laugh....but when I see the phrase "cunting problem" it really appeals to my teenage side. Such a great saying for deep shit.. !
Me too, it could be misread as having a problem with my cunting, ''My cunting didnt go well at all today, never mind , perhaps there will be better cunting tomorrow''.

- - - Updated - - -

Right then, with a bit of solvent I've unglued the rubber and mesh (without mis-shaping it) and removed 30 years worth of dust.Now to open it...
Nice and easy fella, there isnt much room between the voice coil and the magnet.

craigmclellan

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 17, 2011
Boston, Lincolnshire
AKA
Craig
Can't repair this one, the coil looks actually shattered. (Not done by me, removed the magnet assembly really carefully and in a straight direction.)

Pic will be uploaded shortly. :(

- - - Updated - - -

10410526363_ce3a40673a_o.jpg

I can see when looking at it myself where the coil looks scorched, too.

S

stereo70

That looks f'cked fella. Can voice coils be rebuilt?

You might want to try that wembly speaker people to see, it could be that they can wind a new coil for it.

That German company reckon they can.

If all that fails try kendrick audio in Japan, they could probably sort that for you.

Id be worried though that whatever caused that may well fry the tweeters again when they get repaired, so you really want to get to the bottom of why it happened in the first place, that or get your money back.

Clubsport911

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2013
Cheltenham
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Me too, it could be misread as having a problem with my cunting, ''My cunting didnt go well at all today, never mind , perhaps there will be better cunting tomorrow''.
That's even fucking funnier.

@Craig. Fret not. Box them up and send them in for professional repair. Call DC Boulting and start working out (whilst they are being repaired) of how you will renovate the crossover, wiring, cabinets etc. Perhaps you can trawl a few owners and see what the DC resistance is ? Perhaps a website or even Yamaha themselves can help ?

rgds

steve

Clubsport911

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2013
Cheltenham
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Craig. The correct DC R is 6.5ohms - you might need to quote this, but as the tweeters are connected via an L pad then small tolerances are probably not critical.

rgds

diceman

Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So sorry to read the thread update. Stick at it and maybe send off some pics to speaker repairers to see if they can rebuild with a new voice coil.

If you need an original tweeter measuring for resistance let me know.

craigmclellan

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 17, 2011
Boston, Lincolnshire
AKA
Craig
I know - if it gets pierced and is released into the atmosphere, you need to effectively have the room fumigated.

I'll see how I feel in the morning.

I think they're destined to be parted and sold on eBay. Sounds very childish, but it's kind of blown the illusion for me, I fear. I am speaking immediately after hoping I could fix them and play them tonight, only to find they're not repairable (by myself), though.

If he hadn't tested them with his shitty little amplifier at an insanely high volume, they'd be fine. What a total, fucking, idiot.

Night all!!

S

stereo70

Other one is exactly the same.Bitterly, bitterly disappointed
Dont be , they can be repaired, and when they are you wont have to worry about them. They seem to be a weak point in these speakers.

You still have a lot more to do with the cross overs and cabinets so just put it down to another thing to do to make them nice should you decide to keep them.

This might give you some inspiration.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kenrick+yamaha&oq=kenrick+yamaha&gs_l=youtube.3...11273.14843.0.15299.14.14.0.0.0.0.132.1414.6j8.14.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.Q8dngSRVL0c

Clubsport911

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2013
Cheltenham
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't give up. Sure, you feel a bit of a knob for what you did, but here on the Wam we can keep a secret...

Whatever tempted you to buy them, and spend 8hrs in the car, must still be there. Think of it as being a massive queue. At a certain point in the Q you wonder wtf you are doing wasting time, but there comes a point where you feel duty bound to stick with it otherwise all the previous time would be wasted.

Stick in the NS Q.... You've gone a long way !

S

stereo70

It might be a bit obvious, but try contacting Yamaha directly? I would go for US customer support or perhaps Japan, Kenrick can get NOS tweeters for these, they are around.

Toe rag

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 17, 2009
Paignton, , United K
AKA
Chris
If you refurbish these speakers you'll know you've got a good pair nice project if you have the time and I'd doubt you'd lose any money these can be very nice.Good luck

craigmclellan

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 17, 2011
Boston, Lincolnshire
AKA
Craig
Fuck it.

Let's forget the idiot who didn't deserve to own them in the first place and see if this can now be a thread following a newbie restoring his first set of NS1000Ms.

Will start sanding them down tonight.

• Upvote
Reactions: AmDismal
M

MJ.

Fuck it. Let's forget the idiot who didn't deserve to own them in the first place and see if this can now be a thread following a newbie restoring his first set of NS1000Ms.

Will start sanding them down tonight.
That's a far healthier attitude. You've always wanted them, now you've got them and the opportunity make them into something spectacular :)

There's a real fan base for the Yams (translates to loads of help available) and loads of info over on AoS, including a great thread following YNWaN restoring / improving his. Truly inspirational !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles