Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fuck it. Let's forget the idiot who didn't deserve to own them in the first place and see if this can now be a thread following a newbie restoring his first set of NS1000Ms.

Will start sanding them down tonight.
Good man - go for it! Oh, and I withdraw my offer to look at the tweeters as I can see from here that they're knackered!

craigmclellan

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 17, 2011
Boston, Lincolnshire
AKA
Craig
Yup, ruined.

Or, as I said as soon as I pulled the magnet away and could hear the voice coil pinging, "Cunted".

Going to stay true to my word with the seller for now, after at first demanding we meet mutually half way for a return, I apologised for the poor tone and told him to leave it with me for 48 hours. I'm going to aim to have a partial refund the same value as 1 spare tweeter, I don't personally think that is unfair at all.

Still a valuable lesson learnt, though.

Rodney Gold

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 13, 2013
Cape Town SA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Any 1/2 decent driver repair place should be able to renew/rewind/repair that voice coil , if the former and dome and surround etc are still in good condition. I live in south Africa .. ass end of the world and have tweeters with worse damage fixed by our local guys.

craigmclellan

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 17, 2011
Boston, Lincolnshire
AKA
Craig
Any 1/2 decent driver repair place should be able to renew/rewind/repair that voice coil , if the former and dome and surround etc are still in good condition. I live in south Africa .. ass end of the world and have tweeters with worse damage fixed by our local guys.
That is encouraging :)

Aside from the small scratches on the metal frame (when having to prise up part of the rubber to remove it) they are in fine condition. No punctures or scratches, so I think it's worth getting these repaired.

Will look up the companies quoted here and prepare myself for some butthurt when they tell me how much it is to replace a tiny coil. *sob*

craigmclellan

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 17, 2011
Boston, Lincolnshire
AKA
Craig
Sorry (really) to hear of your plight. I have repaired a few tweeters... But you will need something quite hard to organise-! Namely a working tweeter, a micrometer and access to wire.Most likely, the voice coil is open circuit. You may be lucky and be able to effect a repair. Have you tried a professional rewinders ?

Also, see below

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=47986.0

The best around (and one I've used is DC Boulting). These folks, wake up every single day and rewind speakers.

Please go to bed tonight worry free... They can help

http://www.audioloudspeakers.co.uk/boultons.shtml
I have emailed Boultons for a quote.

Thank you for the recommendation.

craigmclellan

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 17, 2011
Boston, Lincolnshire
AKA
Craig
Apparently Boultons are very confident of their work.

"Hi Craig

this is not something that is likely to be successful

as we could not gaurantee the performance afterwards

there is a difference between making a noise and performing to spec

contact Yamaha for a replacement otherwise it's an eBay job

Kind regards

Paul"

I'll try Wembley, if that is replied to negatively as well I will part the speakers to get my money back.

diceman

Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Replacing a voice coil is unlikely IMHO.

It is however reported that these guys can do it :- http://www.quad-musik.de/html/refurbishing.html price reported as 65 euro each and 10 day lead time.

The guy in the USA on eBay also states he has had voice coils remanufactured but tweeter rebuild is very expensive by him.

<EDIT> Tweeter rebuild is cheap enough but tweeter purchase is expensive <edit>

craigmclellan

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 17, 2011
Boston, Lincolnshire
AKA
Craig
Fucking hell.

Wembley speakers have been in touch:

"Hi - we have the tweeters for NS10's - they could be the same size - measure the front plate.

square 95mm x 95m,mm. 1 in stock

kind regards

Paul"

Onwards...

diceman

Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
NS10 is far from the quality of tweeter in the NS1000 even if it does fit. Don't consider as a sensible option.

craigmclellan

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 17, 2011
Boston, Lincolnshire
AKA
Craig
I'm not going to.

This is starting to look like it's going to be too expensive for me to comfortable with. I wasn't 100% comfortable with taking the risk initially, I fear that I'm going to be disappointed with the quotes I get for repair work (or more instances of people saying they don't want to do the work.)

Cannot stand it when offering work to a repair agent and they say not to bother. It's seriously disillusioning.

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just read all this after my post cheered you up. Wish I could do more, as I know the feeling.

craigmclellan

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 17, 2011
Boston, Lincolnshire
AKA
Craig
I really like the thought of having these fully working, but as each repairer is saying "nope!" and someone else wants hundreds to repair them, it's making my desire dwindle a bit.

I didn't have any problem with sending these to be repaired, but I've got doubt in my mind now as both people who HAVE replied with context of a repair has said it's not guaranteed work.

I wouldn't be able to do it myself but I do fail to see how a repair centre which advertises on their website that they do coil windings is unable to do one for the NS1000M.

mnky

Wammer
Wammer
May 3, 2013
oooh arrrrrr
AKA
Mnky
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What about finding a similar spec tweeter from Wilmslow .... would it be possible to machine the body of the existing tweeter to accept the new one. Under the grill there won't be much diff in appearance. I'm guessing the response adjustments on the front will compensate ?

Valvebloke

Wammer
Dec 3, 2009
Didcot, Oxon
AKA
Graeme
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Replacing a voice coil is unlikely IMHO.It is however reported that these guys can do it :- http://www.quad-musik.de/html/refurbishing.html price reported as 65 euro each and 10 day lead time ...
I don't know if this is true. But if it is then I would recommend Quad-Musik GmbH without hesitation. I spent a couple of days there once and they are genuine enthusiasts who really know about high-quality engineering.

VB

craigmclellan

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 17, 2011
Boston, Lincolnshire
AKA
Craig
65 euro would be a fantastic price.

I've emailed them, just need to see what they say. stereo70 has found some tweeters being sold with newly fitted voice coils, so he is a candidate to send my tweeters to as well if all else fails.

Tenson

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 2, 2006
Looking at the photo I think the problem is that the voice coil former (the part the wire wraps around and is attached to the delicate dome by glue) appears to be damaged. The coil should split in half like that if it is attached to the former. How anyone would remove the old former from the dome and fit a new one I can't imagine. If the former were in tact but the wire were burned then it would be a case of simply re-winding it and hoping to get a similar performance.

Perhaps you coul;d give more info for us about the VC former? Is it indeed broken or has the wire coil just come off it? Here you can see the VC from a woofer. The inside of the coil can be seen as shiny as there is an aluminium former that the wire wraps around. Other materials are frequently used such as high temp plastic (Kapton usually) especially in tweeters.

An alternative and probably better tweeter can be used in place. You would need to adjust the parts in the crossover to match the new tweeter. This would need a frequency response and impedance response of a working original tweeter plus a note of the original xover parts for the tweeter. If someone can provide these, I can give back new crossover part values to use with a new tweeter. If you are really lucky a tweeter might be found that doesn't need any xover changes.

P.S. I have a CNC mill too, so if you need a new faceplate machined I can do that.

diceman

Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
65 euro would be a fantastic price.I've emailed them, just need to see what they say. stereo70 has found some tweeters being sold with newly fitted voice coils, so he is a candidate to send my tweeters to as well if all else fails.
Is this the eBay guy in Tennesseeeeeeee?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online