Budget DAC advice please

RaK

New Wammer
Sep 27, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've updated my hifi after some time and would like advice on a budget level DAC, I have a Marantz pm6004 and some Neat iota speakers, looking to spend about £150.

Thanks in advance!

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That’ll teach me to read earlier posts a bit more carefully! Sorry.
Just seen that the Modi 3e is showing as being in stock with the Uk distributor, although the price has risen quite a bit compared to when I purchased mine about 18 months ago.

I love a man-read :)

I had one years ago and remember it was very nice...some used ones on eBay, so definitely think its one for the OP.

The £ vs $ at the moment is going to be making new Schitt stuff VERY expensive unfortunately.

Reactions: Cool Dude Ted

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There's a Schitt 3 on eBay currently a tad over budget.
Other than that you have Cambridge DacMagic 100 or various Toppings within your budget.
Screenshot_2022-09-27-18-10-48-31.jpg

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I will be bringing an R2R DAC an AH-Lite on to the Wam Show which is up for sale for a donation to the Wam charity . It is not up with high end stuff but is a real good sounding unit .

Reactions: rabski

RaK

New Wammer
Sep 27, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it! I got the Neat speakers today so I want to get the most out of them with the equipment I have to hand, and a DAC is an easy upgrade to achieve 👍

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it! I got the Neat speakers today so I want to get the most out of them with the equipment I have to hand, and a DAC is an easy upgrade to achieve 👍
Welcome. I’ve not seen anyone ask what you are connecting the DAC to. That might be relevant (or not). As the speakers are very good, I might be thinking about a better amp, unless it’s a desktop setup.

Reactions: robbyrtp

Gray

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 24, 2019
Another option is the original Khadas Toneboard for £110.
A product that falls into the "too cheap to be any good" category for many.
That and it's lack of a case may well put you off - which would be a shame.
(It's used in the March Audio DAC 1, without the coax input).

Reactions: Strider

RaK

New Wammer
Sep 27, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Welcome. I’ve not seen anyone ask what you are connecting the DAC to. That might be relevant (or not). As the speakers are very good, I might be thinking about a better amp, unless it’s a desktop setup.
Yeah it's desktop, it'll be going in to my PC, so the current output is just not the standard which is required (jack output to RCA) as for the amp, my old Denon died, so I opted for a good budget amp...but then saw the neats come up for sale with the ISO stands and delivery for £475.... So I kinda couldn't resist, so all in all the amp with the speakers and stands cost £655 😂 I'm pleased for the money, just the DAC is required, it's just a budget system

• Thanks
Reactions: Nopiano and DomT

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just make sure whatever you go for has a USB input then so you can connect your pc.

Most DACs have a USB input, but just check to be sure.

In terms of the DAC suggestions, I would probably go for the iFi Zen DAC. Seems to be very popular, great value for money and will certainly be a noticeable improvement over your pc headphone output.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.