Budget DAC advice please

RaK

New Wammer
Sep 27, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've updated my hifi after some time and would like advice on a budget level DAC, I have a Marantz pm6004 and some Neat iota speakers, looking to spend about £150.

Thanks in advance!

Paul68

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 30, 2021
West Lothian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All jokes aside I’d say a Topping E30 would bring you happiness.
Me personally I'd go for IfI, even though the E30 has more input options. It tries to be more than it is, with a menu that might be useful on a more expensive dac. It really isn't needed on the E30, while the zen dac keeps it simple.

Reactions: lazycat

wHIZZY

Measured Subjectivist
Wammer
Apr 12, 2016
Sunny Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
If you can can stretch your budget slightly then a used Chord Mogo would be difficult to beat when judged purely on sound quality. In my experience it punches well above its price point even when new, only down side being it's ergonomics when used in a domestic situation. I believe there was one recently advertised on this forum priced at £190.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Doesn't the Mojo have an issue with the battery getting hot when left plugged in permanently on a desktop system?

I think Topping are ok although some don't like them.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you can can stretch your budget slightly then a used Chord Mogo would be difficult to beat when judged purely on sound quality. In my experience it punches well above its price point even when new, only down side being it's ergonomics when used in a domestic situation. I believe there was one recently advertised on this forum priced at £190.
There is a Mojo still for sale: https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/index.php?threads/chord-mojo-with-leather-case-and-cables.112269/

Chumpchops

From the safest places come the bravest words.
Wammer
Oct 3, 2014
Bristol
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All jokes aside I’d say a Topping E30 would bring you happiness.
Agreed. This is a splendid little DAC that IME punches well above its weight. The 5 filters are very subtle in operation and teamed with an ifi power supply, I have found it to be very enjoyable in second system. The pre function is unremarkabl, but in DAC mode, listening mainly to acoustic, rock and folk, its great.

many compare the E30 to the Modi 3, and they rate similarl. Not having heard the Schit, I can’t comment, but having run the E30 for 2 years - streamed Qobuz, spotty and ripped FLACs>Squeezbox Touch>E30>various small active speakers - I’d have no hesitation in recommend this as a budget DAC. Having a remote and some filters with which to tweak, sets the E30 apart from the Modi 3 in terms of features

…within the law of diminishing returns, I do not really subscribe to the view above that ‘you don’t get much DAC for £150.‘ I’d say that you don’t get get exponentially much more DAC for £1000.

wHIZZY

Measured Subjectivist
Wammer
Apr 12, 2016
Sunny Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Doesn't the Mojo have an issue with the battery getting hot when left plugged in permanently on a desktop system?

I think Topping are ok although some don't like them.
I never had a problem but then I never left it plug in permanently. I simply charged it for a few hours a day or as and when.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No-one has mentioned the Cambridge Dac Magic - have had one for some years (the version 2 or 3 not sure which) and what i can tell you is it sounded as good if not better than the inbuilt DAC on the Meridian 206 and 506 20 bit and was used in preference to the onboard DAC on the Marantz 6004.
Check eBay here is one up for sale the same as my beastie https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12553045...jmpeU4POqAt/DGb0EjlHDchBA=|tkp:Bk9SR7S6oMvwYA

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank god for that, I had a fear you'd end up with a Topping, truly terrible DAC's!
Don't get this wide sweeping dislike of Topping DAC's - You'll have to let us know what has formed your opinion on this particular manufacturer.
Bust as @Ceko said, that is a topic for another conversation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles