Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2010
Central Scotland
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Going to delve into the world of analogue as a wee experiment.

Any recommendations for used turntable around £2-300 ish?

Not worried about cosmetics, good sound quality the only factor and looking at used kit for better value.

I have a nice Vincent hybrid amp and Quad ESL63 speakers but amp has no phono stage, so need that too - at hopefully not too much additional cost.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Exactly what I was to recommend if on a budget.  I did a thread several months ago about a ReLoop t/t I heard in a record shop and was impressed.  Its going to sound 'ok'.  But on your budget even going secondhand is tricky.  If you had more money then a vintage deck of some sort becomes viable.

Reactions: malcesine

vinyl4ever

Mr
Wammer Plus
Mar 29, 2020
Doncaster
primevehiclelogistics.com
AKA
Stewart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Going to delve into the world of analogue as a wee experiment.
Any recommendations for used turntable around £2-300 ish?
Not worried about cosmetics and defo looking at used for better value.
I have a nice Vincent hybrid amp and Quad ESL63 speakers but amp has no phono stage, so need that too - at hopefully not too much additional cost.
If you like vintage.... this looks good value
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-PS-X6-DD-TURNTABLE-SH-145-HEADSHELL-SPARE-HEADSHELL-2-CARTIDGES-LINN-K5-/274577922344?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Stewart

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Vintage again, Pioneer PL12D

Superbly built for what was a budget deck in its day. Japanese engineering and mass production at its best.

s-l400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: malcesine and uzzy

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I find it well nigh impossible to recommend a particular used turntable, because so much depends on the condition and on unknowns, for example, if the stylus is worn.  That alone could add £50 straight away (a bit like buying a used car needing new tyres - an immediate extra cost).  
That said, Regas are plentiful and easy to set up, with spares and modifications if you need them.  However, for a first time purchaser I’d also prefer to suggest brand new because what might be obvious to an experienced user in a secondhand deck might pass you by entirely - and then it’s money wasted.  
A used Rega Fono of any generation is a great used buy as a phono step up.  I’ve owned two and they’re hard to beat for the £.  

Faithless

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 17, 2007
South Ayrshire
AKA
Faithless
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Rega P3 with a half decent budget cartridge and a cheap Project phono amp should get you started. If you can stretch a little more, a Systemdek 2X would do the job as well. Good luck.

manicatel

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2009
Herts/Essex border
AKA
matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
2nd hand for £300 or so, you’ll get a wide choice of decent turntables which would retail at twice that price when new.
Rega P3 would be an obvious choice, as well as quite a few alternatives.

The possible downside is that you would need to understand the history of the item & be comfortable with checking the stylus condition, bearing wear,  set-up etc etc.  Plenty of helpful people on here & other forums to chip in with support in that regard if needed.

If you wanted to play it safe & buy new, you’d get a warranty, no potential hidden issues, no dodgy eBay troubles etc.

Something such as a ProJect Debut carbon for £280, add £60 or so for a project or nad phono stage. Peace of mind as you’ll get a warranty & it’s easily good enough to dip your toe into the world of vinyl to see if it works for you.

I think turntables are a bit like sports cars. Buying 2nd hand can be an excellent way into owning something quite exciting but there are pitfalls to be wary of. If you’re clued up on potential issues, you can grab a bargain & a whole load of fun.

If you’re not technically inclined, sometimes it’s better to play it safe & buy new.

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@malcesine I have an RD80SL with Linn Basic plus (LVX) here doing nothing. Happy to post, £150 Inc p&p. Then it's just a cart (AT vm95E) and phono.

IMG_20201023_193620.jpg

Screenshot_20201119-194441.png

• Upvote
Reactions: myles and malcesine

Don RJ

Wammer
May 27, 2019
Lincolnshire
AKA
Don
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
40 quid for an Audio Technica VM95E, with future option of a better stylus that fits the cartridge body. Either microline  or shibata.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.