Isolation........

hifistudent

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 7, 2005
Brighton or Newcastl
I am in a slight dilemma. As a poor student I am unable to currently justify spending £150 on an isolation platform for my Cyrus CD6
wub.png

I was thinking of a cheap/temporary solution as it is currently sitting on the floor (tragic!). I did wonder about a granite/marble tile as they are only about £10.
biggrin.png

Any one have any ideas/tried, cheap solutions or general feedback.

Cheers
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Earl will be along in a minute to tell you you need to visit 3 shoppes:

1. Argos

2. Your local sports shoppe ( a propper one. Not one of those places on trading estates where Chavs go clothes shopping.)

3. A furniture or hardware shoppe.

Just you wait.. he will honest.
wink.png

G

hifistudent wrote:

I am in a slight dilemma. As a poor student I am unable to currently justify spending £150 on an isolation platform for my Cyrus CD6
wub.png
I was thinking of a cheap/temporary solution as it is currently sitting on the floor (tragic!). I did wonder about a granite/marble tile as they are only about £10.
biggrin.png

Any one have any ideas/tried, cheap solutions or general feedback.

Cheers
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif
As a student if you spend £150 on and islation platform you'll be isolated as well. Follow Jammy's advice and spend therest on boozing and sex.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Granite - Squash balls and coaster cups. Hopefully Paul will post a photo of his. It looks a lot better than you might think and is apparently quite effective.

What it is effective at, I could not tell you.

E

earl of sodbury

... so what you want is:

1 stone chopping board from either Asda or Argos - about 12 quid. Pause toeyeball the bling in Lizzie Duke section - raw class!

4 whole (not halved or chopped) squash balls from your localEmprio Chavmani (sports shop)

4 castor cups from a vast, depressing, soulless Church of Mammon (DIY superstore)

Pop yer squash balls in yer castor cups, top with yer stone slab, and there yer have it: yer actual bargain DIY isolation platform - not available in Burberry

God knows what the Chav theme's all about, probably senility... :Not Sure:

yoda900

Wammer Plus
Sep 20, 2005
Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Alternative to the above. Use a Bicycle inner tube partially inflated under the slab or a pice of medite cut to size and sprayed/painted desired colour.

Cheap Townshend Seismic jobbie fo a fiver. Then spend the rest on sex and booze anyway :djermaica: or other exotica

:force:

chezi61

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Fife , Scotland.
Like this except I've used 2 granite slabs and oak cones (I'm analy retentive)

I only used 3 squashballs per granite slab also , as they are usually sold in packs of 3. Works well too.

DSCF0335.jpg

chezi.

Kiang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2005
Leeds, , United King
Different ways to approach this.

One is isolation to avoid unwanted vibrations from reaching your CD player -cones, spikes, squash balls etc will do the job

The other is vibration absorption - convert the inherent (acquired) vibration energy to heat hence dissipating it.

The best is perhaps a combination of the two.

You can take it a step furher by determining the fundamental inherent frequency of the vibration in your CD player and cater your design to cover this band of frequency - just to be 100% sure that you are dealing with it.

yoda900

Wammer Plus
Sep 20, 2005
Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Chezi

Nice pics is that yer shite lp12 off to the left .

That amp looks the biz.

Good Vibes

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 29, 2005
Croydon, , United Ki
Just got hold of a couple of one inch thick rubber absorbtion tiles, normally used in childrens play areas. They are spongy, andlook like they might be a good material for absorbing vibration! I may try themwith a piece of marble, either underneath, or sitting on top of the marble (could even try sticking it between two pieces of marble). Has anyone had any experience of experimenting with this sort of material, and if so, how were the results? :Not Sure:

chezi61

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Fife , Scotland.
hifistudent wrote:

Chezi,Cheers for the pics.

I will do that. However, where did you get the wooden cones from?

Mike
Made them myself at work (I'm a Centre-lathe Turner to trade).

You can buy them from Russ Andrews but not cheap.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

Try the squash balls and cups with one slab of granite first.

chezi.

hifistudent

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 7, 2005
Brighton or Newcastl
Well thank you all for all your advice.

I got an lovely piece of granite from argos for £12!

Not sorted out spikes/balls for it yet, but at least its no longer sitting on the floor
smile.png

Cheers again all.

P.S. Admin you were right
tongue.png

chezi61

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Fife , Scotland.
subterranean-alien wrote:

Is that an Ikea product your using to house the gear? If so which one, me likes......
Yes Ikea , I bought 2 Opplis and drilled thru the top of one and joined the two together one on top of tho other used the long screws and dowel pins with wood filler. It's rock sollid BTW. Some spikes to finifh it off , they spikes I have were mabe at work and raised the whole lot by approx 2" so I could hide the cables.

Opplis are onlt £23 each and are very chunky.
wink.png

chezi.

matty

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Kings Hill, , United
sorbathane feet or custom made platform or some lovely foam rubber, all cheap, all work, and all available from your local friendly acoustic product retailer....*cough*
tongue.png

Granite slab works well though

barty

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 12, 2005
anglesey, , United K
i have recently sat my cd player on granite and squash balls/castor cups ( thanks earl ) and not only does it look good the system sounds better. now going to sit my amps on them as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.