91HoZOfDPxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
thanks, grabbing a coffee and a quick break going to listen to a bit of this now
If you give feedback on what you think, it will help tailor other recommendations.

Here is some nice choral music, that can be dipped in and out of:

71IrRFsmbRL._AC_SL1405_.jpg

Phobic

Mildly Annoying
Wammer Plus
Aug 29, 2020
Worksop
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you give feedback on what you think, it will help tailor other recommendations.
Thanks, very kind of you.

The Bach wasn't bad, I found I was a little overwhelmed by how much was going on. As an aside I'm not sure if this is a factor in my system being geared for rock/pop but I found the sound stage was a little confused, it was hard trying to pick out individual pianos, and their positioning in the mix at times seemed strange e.g. a single piano keyboard seemed to me to stretch too far left to right, it was larger than life.

The more I listen the more I think it's helping crystallise out a bit more what I do like, I seem to be developing a preference for simple works which have a lot of space/air/silence about them. Not so much the minimalist genre (I'm not a fan of the play a single note for 5 mins with a small variation), it's a less is more type approach which I seem to be enjoying - If you're familiar with them it's more the Pink Floyd approach to music instead of the Phil Spencer wall of sound approach.

The more I listen to big orchestral pieces the more I find it a bit too much in your face, though I did listen to Holtz the planets today and enjoyed most of that - strong preference for the more relaxing planets though.

Will give Haydn a try, coincidentally we've been to a few events in King's College Chapel, it was some years ago and I can't remember what we heard now! 

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Bach Harpsichord Concerto in C minor, BWV 1060 is believed to be an arrangement Bach made from an earlier lost concerto of his for oboe and violin.  A reconstructed version of this lost concerto has been made based from the BWV 1060 keyboard concerto.  The reconstruction is usually referred to as BWV 1060R.

Here is an old and popular recording of it with Gideon Kremer and Heinz Holliger with the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields. 

Reactions: Phobic

Phobic

Mildly Annoying
Wammer Plus
Aug 29, 2020
Worksop
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
great thanks, will hopefully get chance to have a listen this weekend

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My apologies for the brain fart, the above lecture I posted from Rachel Barton Pine is obviously not her discussing the Sonatas for Violin & Harpsichord, but rather the more popular Bach's Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin.  :oops:   That's what happens when Klassik posts something based on memory without checking first.  xD   Oh well, it is still a nice video. 

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You might try some of the Takacs Quartet stuff of different composers. I'll throw this out as a start - Brahms Chamber Music (with Andras Schiff):

41C4NFmkEdL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Then there is Schubert's String Quintet - where there are many good versions, but I'll throw this one out:

51yUzs4Tc9L._AC_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Phobic

Mildly Annoying
Wammer Plus
Aug 29, 2020
Worksop
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
thanks, I'm working on a hangover right now so this might be a good choice for tomorrow morning!

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some beautifully atmospheric Piano pieces:

1. Bach's Prelude in C Minor..... Try Lang Lang (First track) or James Rhodes

711RXbBW+gL._AC_UL320_.jpg

2. Mozart's Piano Concerto No.21 in C minor - Andante (Second Movement)...Try Ashkenazi (Second track)

61oY6AIkF8L._AC_UL320_.jpg

3. Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata. - (1st Movement).....Try Marnie Laird

91QE5ITzoCL._SS500_.jpg

4. Debussy - Clair de Lune........Try Marnie Laird

91QE5ITzoCL._SS500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Phobic

Mildly Annoying
Wammer Plus
Aug 29, 2020
Worksop
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some beautifully atmospheric Piano pieces:

1. Bach's Prelude in C Minor..... Try Lang Lang (First track) or James Rhodes

711RXbBW+gL._AC_UL320_.jpg
Thanks for these, I had a quite flick through this album as it seemed to give a good cross section of different composers.

The Bach was ok, a bit to flowery for me though. I did very much like the debussy - Suite Bergamasque, L. 75: 3. Clair de lune (that's a bloody mouthful!)

Elena Kats-Chermin wild swans suit: 2. Eliza was good as well.

Phobic

Mildly Annoying
Wammer Plus
Aug 29, 2020
Worksop
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You might enjoy this example of virtuoso Trumpet Playing:

Thanks for the suggestion, I gave this a try and it's too big orchestra, I'm just not clicking with that kind of sound generally, though there are a few exceptions, maybe I need to go back of those and try to figure out what I like are the ones I do 

Phobic

Mildly Annoying
Wammer Plus
Aug 29, 2020
Worksop
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
 2. Mozart's Piano Concerto No.21 in C minor - Andante (Second Movement)...Try Ashkenazi (Second track)

61oY6AIkF8L._AC_UL320_.jpg

3. Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata. - (1st Movement).....Try Marnie Laird

91QE5ITzoCL._SS500_.jpg

4. Debussy - Clair de Lune........Try Marnie Laird

91QE5ITzoCL._SS500_.jpg
These 3 pieces were all spot on the money for me, loved every 1!

Phobic

Mildly Annoying
Wammer Plus
Aug 29, 2020
Worksop
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have just played the top Debussy track on Qobuz and liked everyone of them. Will have to explore more of his works later

image.png

Phobic

Mildly Annoying
Wammer Plus
Aug 29, 2020
Worksop
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
right I'm on a roll!

just had a listen to Debussy's string quartet by Alban Berg Quartet, and I really enjoyed that as well.

maybe I like Debussy!

image.png

Ravel's just started and the the 1st piece seems pleasant so I'll give that a try as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.