New Wammer
Jul 20, 2019
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You should be able to sample lots of these on spotify

Wynton Marsalis has a really varied range of classical recordings

https://wyntonmarsalis.org/discography/classical

Keith Jarrett trained as a classical pianist but plays lots of styles including jazz and improvisations he has a Classical Music Discography

https://www.listal.com/list/keith-jarrett-classical-music-discography

Ola Gjeilo is one of my favourite modern classical composers majors on piano and choral 

http://olagjeilo.com

https://open.spotify.com/search/Ola Gjeilo

Khatia Buniatishvili a Georgian rising star of the piano who for me plays with real empathy for the music Solo classical through to large scale orchestral

https://open.spotify.com/artist/0bouHpX4JiuPnIfP2jFxRi

http://www.khatiabuniatishvili.com

John Adams the modern American composer might be your cup of tea,  cetrainly like many of his compositions

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3xwJ8Zpzz44vNJlZfqtxbbX/short-ride-in-a-fast-machine-by-john-adams

https://open.spotify.com/artist/35OhI7DSls022v9Bz9r0VZ

György Ligeti is more challenging but interesting and varied

https://open.spotify.com/artist/1zb5zmIuX2lTbzcn7YeQlg

Arvo Pärt another modern composer his best known work Spiegel im Spiegel and 

https://www.classicfm.com/composers/part/best-pieces/

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DWXWpqXjufFrg

Henryk Gorecki became well known for his Symphony No. 3, Op. 36, also known as the Symphony of Sorrowful Songs

https://open.spotify.com/artist/5PIshNx38qyLggwpqRhRRI

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Phobic

Phobic

Mildly Annoying
Wammer Plus
Aug 29, 2020
Worksop
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't seem to have alerts turned on for this thread, only just noticed these sorry.

great lists thanks @Maestoso, just had a look an Qobuz seems to have a lot of these, will give them a try.

exploring classical is becoming a new activity for me and my wife, she usually hates my music :)

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been scouring gramophone and bbc radio 3 already
One of my favourite Radio 3 programmes for many years has been Building a Library, part of Record Review, on every Saturday morning.  They choose one work, and in about 50 minutes a reviewer plays excerpts from a variety of interpretations and chooses one or two ‘for the library’ - best buys, if you like.  There are also downloadable lists of years of past recommendations.   

I don’t always agree, but they’re well worth looking at, and listening to as well!  Links at the bottom of this page...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06w2121

Phobic

Mildly Annoying
Wammer Plus
Aug 29, 2020
Worksop
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
of course Ligetti was really made well known in the amazing soundtrack to 2001 . wonderful 
another to add to the list thanks.

One of my favourite Radio 3 programmes for many years has been Building a Library, part of Record Review, on every Saturday morning.  They choose one work, and in about 50 minutes a reviewer plays excerpts from a variety of interpretations and chooses one or two ‘for the library’ - best buys, if you like.  There are also downloadable lists of years of past recommendations.   

I don’t always agree, but they’re well worth looking at, and listening to as well!  Links at the bottom of this page...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06w2121
thanks I'll check it out - really enjoying Qobuz at the moment so this could be a good match

Don Ruperto

Wammer
Jan 25, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Phobic, it can be a bit overwhelming when you buy or inherit a collection.  Should I like this?  Do I like this?  Why is this supposed to be good?  And so on.  

If the collection hasn't cost you anything , just relax and take your time. You'll soon find things you want to play again and slowly your taste will develop naturally.  Already you've found a few composers that you've enjoyed listening to, so that's great.  

When you think back over the years, it's interesting to reflect how one finds one's way to any genre of music really.  Mostly one hears something by chance, later you hear it again - and so on.  I wonder sometimes why I love old jazz records - it doesn't make any sense at all really!  Long story short, my older sister had older boyfriends, two of whom loved the blues.  In my early 20s I used to listen to any radio programme that might play any kind of blues record... and that included jazz programmes... you get the idea.  

Although it's great that other posters want to share their passion, at this stage I wouldn't start splashing out on recommended CDs.  Many classical fans forget they've been on a long journey and the music they love may not appeal to you.  One day maybe it will.  

My interest in classical music started in the 90s, I used to drive all over the country on business and I would have Classic FM as my default radio station.  Then I started picking up classical CDs in charity shops, then I bought a series of collections.  Nowadays I'm not really a great fan of Classic FM. 

One thing I will add here - forgive me if anybody else has already posted this - the record label of a classical CD is important, VERY important!  Try to avoid the cheapo labels.   Here's a list of some pukka labels which in 9 out of 10 cases will at least enable you to listen to classical music in great sound quality. 

Deutsche Grammophon 

EMI

Hyperion

Decca

Philips

RCA Victor

Chandos

Erato

By the way, everybody loves Mozart.  Start with any of the piano or violin concertos.  This is classical music at its most accessible - it is also sublime.  

Reactions: Phobic

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
One thing I will add here - forgive me if anybody else has already posted this - the record label of a classical CD is important, VERY important!  Try to avoid the cheapo labels.   Here's a list of some pukka labels which in 9 out of 10 cases will at least enable you to listen to classical music in great sound quality. 

Deutsche Grammophon 

EMI

Hyperion

Decca

Philips

RCA Victor

Chandos

Erato
I actually disagree that the label matters when it comes to recordings.  In an era before streaming when we sometimes had to buy recordings without anyway to sample them first, the recommendation to stick to certain labels in order to avoid a potentially expensive mistake made some sense.  However, in modern times when it's easier to make more informed purchases by sampling music before buying it, I don't see any reason to stick to that old mindset.

Yes, all of those classical labels listed above produced/produce some fine, fine recordings, but I can tell you that they've produced some real clunkers before in terms of both performance (which is mostly subjective, of course), but also in terms of sound quality (which is also subjective, but I think there is more agreement that certain recordings sound like London).  I'll give you an example.  I have a Philips Duo CD set I purchased some years ago of Beethoven overtures conducted by Kurt Masur and performed by the Gewandhaus Orchestra in Leipzig (some works on the album are performed by Neville Marriner/ASMF).  Those are some of the worst sounding classical recordings I've ever heard.  I have a lot of Pilz and LaserLight cheapo CDs and they don't even sound as flat and lifeless as those recordings.  Some user reviews I came across after I bought the CDs reported the same sound quality issues I found.  I don't know if Philips had issues recording that because it was done in East Germany, but it's total London (or Eindhoven if you will xD ).

In modern times, some of the most popular classical labels are not ones in your list.  I'm thinking of ones like Naxos, cpo, Brilliant Classics, Harmonia Mundi France, Champs Hill, Zig-Zag, Accent, and many others really.  The performances on these labels may or may not be great as that's very subjective, but the recording quality of these labels are almost always excellent.  It's pretty rare that I hear a professional classical recording made after 2005 or so and find that it's lacking.  I may disagree with the balancing and microphone positioning in some cases, but the general sound quality is quite good.  The labels I listed have recorded some excellent musicians, even if they aren't so famous, and they tend to record some obscure music which the modern classical CD buyer seems to like.  While orchestras seem to program the same warhorses over and over again, it seems the 21st century classical CD buyer is tired of that and wants to experience more unknown music.  Klassik is certainly in that group.  :^

Naxos is the current powerhouse in classical recordings.  In addition of Naxos' vast catalog of diverse recordings on CD, Naxos also has their own streaming service which I hear is quite profitable for them because it is used by university libraries and such.  Music schools want streaming services with all kinds of obscure music and Naxos records that so they have the perfect product.  Naxos albums can also be streamed from other services including YouTube.  At least here in the US, Naxos distributes many of the other classical labels and I believe they also own the ArkivMusic online CD store.  I think they have bought out some smaller classical labels and have kept them alive as the founders of those smaller labels have retired and such. 

There are some classical music fans who like to claim that Naxos recordings are London.  Klassik's take is that those people are idiots and should not be taken seriously.  Those people were probably permanently made numb and dumb by the major classical music labels 40-50 years ago when they had massive marketing budgets and would push all kinds of big-name conductors, soloists, and opera singers as being superior to anyone else.  Some of the performers used by Naxos are quite famous among musicians themselves.  Some aren't, but they're still highly skilled and more than capable of making good recordings. 

The sound quality on Naxos recordings is usually very good on recordings made since the mid-1990s.  Naxos recordings prior to that might be a bit iffy as they suffer from some of the problems that a lot of early digital recordings had.  You may hear complaints about the sound quality of Naxos recordings, but the people making those complaints are usually judging them on those early recordings back when Naxos was known as being a discount classical label.  Those early recordings make up a small portion of their overall catalog and Naxos has re-recorded some of those early albums.  So, yeah, I wouldn't really worry about that.  I did hear a new Vieuxtemps album Naxos published this year where the sound quality was a bit flat sounding in terms of sound quality (the music itself is very good), but maybe that's because I heard it via streaming.  Maybe the actual CD is okay, I don't know.  Other Naxos recent releases sound fine so even if that is a mediocre sounding release, it might just be a rare exception.  Naxos usually uses Sony DADC in Austria to make their CDs in recent times so they're high quality pressings.

I know this reply is long-winded enough as it is, but I'll add one more point.  xD   My father was a bit of a cheapskate and he bought a lot of those ultra discount CDs from places like supermarkets in the late 1980s/very early 1990s.  We're talking about the aforementioned LaserLights and Pilz CDs of the world.  The Pilz CDs sometimes would use fake conductor/orchestra names on their recordings and sometimes they would pass old 1960s analog recordings off as digital recordings after running them through a noise filter.  :S

Given all this, you might think all these recordings are rubbish.  Well, it depends.  A lot of the LaserLight recordings have a fairly mediocre sound quality to them.  They have a lot of the same problems that many other 1980s/early 1990s digital recordings have even from more respected labels: overly glassy or metallic sounding strings, a general sense of fuzziness, and so forth.  Not all 1980s digital recordings were bad.  Labels like Telarc made some excellent digital recordings in the 1980s, but it took many labels, including DG, quite some time to make their digital recordings sound 'right'.  I find most of those DG '4D' recordings to be pretty mediocre in terms of sound quality.

Anyway, back to the super cheap recordings.  While they may not be stellar in terms of sound quality, they usually aren't so bad that you don't want to listen to them.  Perhaps more importantly, there are some excellent performances on those discs.  One of my all-time favorite recordings of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony is on an ultra cheap Madacy CD that probably cost $3 new in the late 1980s (Madacy was known in the 1980s for selling cheap CDs of current pop music hits performed by cover bands :eek: ).  The performance is conducted by Anton Nanut and performed by the Radio Symphony Orchestra Ljubljana.  Although it's performed with what could be called a modern orchestra, the performance has the verve of a historically informed performance like something done by John Eliot Gardner.  The sound quality is merely okay, but I don't think it's any worse than the Kleiber recording on that BBC list and the Nanut performance is so good that it gets me off the sofa and gets me to do pelvic thrusts during the first movement.   :bouncey:    How can you beat that?  ;)

I find it quite interesting that some of the most popular classical recordings on YouTube, the ones of the Four Seasons or the Marriage of Figaro Overture with over 500 million hits and such, are often from those ultra cheap CDs.  I'm guessing ole' Klassik isn't the only one doing pelvic thrusts to cheap recordings.  xD

Reactions: EddieRUKidding

Don Ruperto

Wammer
Jan 25, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I take your point, but as a general rule of thumb for somebody starting out?  Don't forget that in many cases it's the big labels which have the great artists - past and present.  Du Pré, Callas, Oistrakh, Rubinstein etc etc.  

There are plenty of exceptions of course.  I have a live Richter Mozart CD on Laurel which is just wonderful - it's quite collectable now.  I really don't like EMI's ART era CDs - they sound awful.  I have a Nicola Benedetti CD on Decca which sounds compressed and noisy, so I go a long way towards agreeing with you.  But as I say, as a rule of thumb? 

I sell CDs as well you see and that tends to colour the way I think about CDs.  The label is very important retail wise, not least because the resale value of discount label CDs is almost zero.  

Naxos - okay, more recent CDs sound fine, but otherwise not in my experience.  Somebody in the trade gave me box a load of Brilliant CDs a few years back - samples - I sold some, I kept some.  I kept a Sibelius box set, it's okay but not a patch on my Von Karajan DG double - you know the one.  They did sell well tbh. 

Laserlight aren't great in my experience, I have a few Telarc which are are fine.  Arkiv are excellent - a wonderful label -  I love my Corelli double. 

Time for bed. 

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I take your point, but as a general rule of thumb for somebody starting out?
I can't remember if OP is wanting to build a CD library of classical music, but if so, I will say that the historically major labels (Sony, Warner, Universal/DG/Decca) have been selling bargain CD box sets of classical music in recent years which can serve as an inexpensive way to get a lot of classical music 'basics' at very low prices and in a form which does not take up much room as typical CDs in jewel cases.  For less than $20, it's possible to get recordings from the major labels of all the Beethoven symphonies, Mozart violin sonatas, Mendelssohn orchestral works, and so forth.  For better or for worse, these are performed by big name conductors and the box sets often have the latest remasterings of those recordings which are often better than the masterings/remasterings used when those albums first came out on CD.  The Sony white box bargain box sets don't  have liner notes, but the Warner and Universal box sets usually do have liner notes as well and some of the Warner box sets even come with original album art as well. 

In some ways, the historically major labels sell their music on CD for less these than the so-called bargain labels!  :eek:

Don't forget that in many cases it's the big labels which have the great artists - past and present.  Du Pré, Callas, Oistrakh, Rubinstein etc etc.  

There are plenty of exceptions of course.  I have a live Richter Mozart CD on Laurel which is just wonderful - it's quite collectable now.  I really don't like EMI's ART era CDs - they sound awful.  I have a Nicola Benedetti CD on Decca which sounds compressed and noisy, so  go a long way to agree with you.  But as I say, as a rule of thumb?
There are many big name performers who, IMO at least, deserve the fame they achieved.  However, it should be noted that a lot of marketing money was spent by the historical majors 30, 40, 50+ years ago to make the big names into big names.  These days, when the amount of money labels spend to promote classical performers is minuscule compared to half a century ago, there are a lot of performers who could be famous, but they just aren't to most people.  Thus, my advice to beginners is to not get drawn into the idea that only big names produce music worth listening to or purchasing. 

I know this can be confusing to beginners.  If a beginner is wondering what streaming link to listen to or what CD to buy, my advice is to just listen to the recordings on a streaming service, even a free one like YouTube will more than suffice, and see which provide the most enjoyable experience.  As beginners listen more with an open mind, they'll learn more about why things may sound different, but that can only come from experience and probably also some form of education from somewhere.

I sell CDs as well you see and that tends to colour the way I think about CDs.  The label is very important retail wise, not least because the resale value of discount label CDs is almost zero. 
I would have to agree with you that the big name performances on major historical labels will most likely have better resale value.  Discount label stuff usually has very little resale value.  I don't buy CDs with the intention to sell them though so this isn't so much of a concern for me, but I can see why it would be for you.

Naxos - okay, more recent CDs sound fine, but otherwise not in my experience.  Somebody in the trade gave me box a load of Brilliant CDs a few years back - samples - I sold some, I kept some.  I kept a Sibelius box set, it's okay but not a patch on my Von Karajan DG double - you know the one.  They did sell well tbh. 

Laserlight aren't great in my experience, I have a few Telarc which are are fine.  Arkiv are excellent - a wonderful label -  I love my Corelli double.
One of the things about Brilliant Classics is that I believe the company has changed hands at least a couple of times over the years.  Some of the early Brilliant Classics recordings from the 1990s and 2000s were often rather dodgy.  Since the company has come under the Edel umbrella (Edel is a major German media company who also owns Berlin Classics), the quality has improved, IMO.

Also, Brilliant Classics has their own recordings, but they also re-release recordings from other labels.  In the case of the re-releases, the quality depends on the original recordings.  I know Brilliant Classics has re-released recordings from respected companies like BIS, but they may also re-release recordings which might be of lesser quality. 

One of the interesting things about Naxos and Brilliant Classics recordings in recent times, especially with older music, is that the recordings are often performed by musicologists who are also performing musicians.  The musicologists often have 'discovered' the music which is being performed on the album.  In some cases, they found the work in library collections which nobody ever looked at or whatever the case might be.  The point is that the musicologists are often very familiar with the composer and the context in which the composer made their music so it is interesting to hear these performances versus situations in the past where maybe a famous musician would perform works for recordings even if they had very little knowledge of the composer or the context of the period/composition.

An example of this would be the recordings of Quantz flute concertos by Quantz expert and outstanding period flutist Mary Oleskiewicz.  Klassik finds Oleskiewicz to also be quite attractive, especially while holding a flute, and Naxos wisely included a photograph of her with her Quantz recording.  xD  

I don't know about the Quantz recording specifically, but one general advantage the likes of Naxos and Brilliant Classics has by taking this musicological approach is that these recordings of somewhat obscure music are often sponsored by local cultural organizations in places like Germany and Italy who hope to promote not-so-well known composers who came from those areas or were active in those areas.  The end result is that the sponsor may pay for all or some of the expenses involved in making the recording and the musicians doing the work may not end up making all that much, if anything, from the recordings.  Thus, I'm sure those recordings are quite profitable for the labels like Naxos and Brilliant Classics. 

It's certainly a very different situation than 50 years ago when the labels would pay the performers very well for making recordings, but the consequence of that is that the label had to sell a lot of records to recoup the costs associated with making them so they were very conservative and often ended up recording the same warhorses over and over again just as modern orchestras perform the same warhorses over and over again.  :S

As for Telarc, their recordings often had excellent fidelity (though not always, I have one Rodrigo recording by them which they tried to make having 'surround sound', but that didn't work out so well) even if they were from the very early days of digital recordings.  Telarc recordings usually listed the equipment used to record and edit the recordings in the liner notes.  The letdown with Telarc recordings, however, were that the performances were quite often rather mediocre.  :/   That's not always the case and there are a few winners on the Telarc label.  But, yeah, if nothing else, they did prove that it was possible to make great digital recordings in those early days even if it took other labels 10, 15, or even 20 years to figure things out.

The sound quality on LaserLight recordings are usually somewhere between so-so and quite poor.  The performance quality often lives on that range as well, but there are some winners on the LaserLight label.  I might be a bit biased because Hans Graf was the conductor of the Houston Symphony for some number of years a while back, but the Mozart recordings he did for LaserLight with the Mozarteum Orchestra of Salzburg are pretty good.  Back in the day, LaserLight and Capriccio were sister labels under the German company Delta Media.  I think Delta Media went out of business a while back, but Capriccio lives on and is a respected label these days.  Capriccio still releases some music that was originally showed up on LaserLight CDs.  I think Capriccio's recordings of D. Scarlatti's sonatas performed on harpsichord by Ton Koopman, which are highly respected recordings, originally showed up on cheap LaserLight CDs about 30 years ago.  Respected pianist Jenő Jandó did a number of recordings for LaserLight and also during the early days of Naxos when they were considered a real bargain label.

So, yeah, while there aren't many reasons to mess around with those ultra cheap supermarket LaserLight and Pilz recordings here in modern times, I wouldn't completely dismiss the recordings on them.  That said, I wouldn't expect anyone to pay more than a few cents for LaserLight or Pilz CDs on the resale market.  xD   It should also be noted that while those LaserLight and Pilz CDs were super cheap back 30 years ago, my father's old LaserLight and Pilz CDs are holding up just fine.  They weren't cheaply pressed or anything like that.  In fact, some of the LaserLight CDs were pressed by JVC.

Phobic

Mildly Annoying
Wammer Plus
Aug 29, 2020
Worksop
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
interesting discussion.

for now I'm not looking to buy anything, I'll be using the CDs I currently have combined with Qobuz. my main goal is to figure out what I like.

once I better know that I can hunt out good recordings and then think about buying things, but I'm a long way off doing that.

Reactions: Don Ruperto

Don Ruperto

Wammer
Jan 25, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's a good strategy Phobic.  Look upon it as an opportunity to explore music in the best possible way - they haven't cost you anything and you're free to like or dislike at your leisure.  

Klassik - are you in the USA?  I have a few Marco Polo CDs - do they have something to do with Naxos?   I'm interested to hear you say that the record labels don't spend so much on promoting artists now.  I've always imagined the opposite to be the case, albeit I wasn't following things back in the day.  Every time I buy a collection of classical CDs there are always dozens of recent recital albums by the new tenor, new harpist or cellist etc etc.  Some artists are very much the real thing, but many seem to disappear after their 2 or 3 CD contract ends.  I find most of the modern singers disappoint, in my opinion the golden age seems to have passed.

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Klassik - are you in the USA?  I have a few Marco Polo CDs - do they have something to do with Naxos?   I'm interested to hear you say that the record labels don't spend so much on promoting artists now.  I've always imagined the opposite to be the case, albeit I wasn't following things back in the day.  Every time I buy a collection of classical CDs there are always dozens of recent recital albums by the new tenor, new harpist or cellist etc etc.  Some artists are very much the real thing, but many seem to disappear after their 2 or 3 CD contract ends.  I find most of the modern singers disappoint, in my opinion the golden age seems to have passed.
Yes, I am in Houston.  Marco Polo is a Naxos label.  I say is, I'm not sure if Naxos is actively using the Marco Polo name anymore.  Back in the early days of Naxos, I believe they used the Marco Polo label for recordings of obscure composers and for recordings of obscure works by known composers.  Later on, the label was used for film scores and such.

Some of the recordings initially released on Marco Polo are now being sold under the Naxos label.  I have a recording of Respighi's Sinfonia Drammatica (I'm a Respighi fan, but I must admit that Repighi's attempt at a symphony was pretty mediocre, IMO :S ) which was initially sold under Marco Polo, but I have a more recent CD of it and it's the same recording sold under the Naxos name.

As for the promotion of artists, the major labels do still tender contracts out to certain artists.  For example, I know that Warner Classics has had violinist Vilde Frang under contract for some years now.  Some opera stars are under contract with Decca.  DG has a few prominent artists.  You're right that often the labels will promote someone young, they'll make a few albums, and then they're unceremoniously dumped while the label tries to promote some other young potential rising star. 

So, yes, while this still happens, the amount of money spent on those contracts and the amount of promotion the labels do for those artists is quite tiny compared to what it used to be back in the prime years for those major classical labels.  We still have a classical CD shop here in the Houston area, which might be the only one left in the whole country, and I've heard the proprietor of the shop say that it's difficult for them to even get promo CDs to play in the store like they used to.  The shop still has promotional posters on the wall from the 1990s from defunct labels like EMI probably because the labels do not print stuff like that anymore.

I'm not an opera fan so I can't tell you so much about that.  I've heard opera fans lament the state of modern singers.  Opera is very star-driven, even more so than non-operatic classical music, so perhaps there are some issues finding and promoting talented stars.  The one opera singer who does seem to get star treatment these days, Renee Fleming, sounds like a hound.  :eek:   I'm not exactly sure what failed logic was used to decide to make her the premier opera singer.  :doh:

• Haha
Reactions: EddieRUKidding

bohemian

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2008
London uk
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
have you considered subscribing to the Naxos newsletter?  Each month they offer a free download of a classical cd - with three choices from which to choose - in mp3 or flac.  A good way to try things out that you are unfamiliar with.  I have had some lovely gems from them.

Reactions: ae111sr and Klassik

ae111sr

Wammer
Mar 12, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
have you considered subscribing to the Naxos newsletter?  Each month they offer a free download of a classical cd - with three choices from which to choose - in mp3 or flac.  A good way to try things out that you are unfamiliar with.  I have had some lovely gems from them.
Thanks for the heads up - I've been meaning to do that for a while but keep forgetting to do it. All sorted now. :D

Don Ruperto

Wammer
Jan 25, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Klassik - sadly I have to agree with you regarding your assessment of Renee Fleming.  Like many contemporary singers, the odd popular aria on a recital disc might just about cut the mustard, but it's the complete operas where their shortcomings are all too obvious.  

Without getting too carried away here, a certain Italian lady really sets my teeth on edge -  Cecilia Bartoli.  If ever you need an opera "taken out" mafia style, she's the lady to call - she'll murder it.  I call her Cecilia Bathtub.  Apologies to any of her fans who might be reading. 

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Jean-Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been buying classical CDs since just before Naxos really got going (sold in major retailers) and I'd put a lot of their CDs above what was available before & since. I've never been a great fan of 'star' conductors and their annual 'I'm recording the complete works of....' just to create another box set. So I've been very pleasantly surprised with unknown or lesser-known conductors/orchestras/soloists which makes me concentrate on the music rather than wondering what melodramatic face Karajan might be pulling at any given moment. (Karajan is not my cup of tea, so ignore me on this).

What I like about Naxos, especially on the early CDs,  is they recorded things other people weren't doing or which had long gone out of print on vinyl. There was a CD of Handel's harpsichord suites, when there really wasn't much Handel keyboard music about; or just idiotic overpriced offerings from Philips on a piano. The highlight of that were the two capriccios added to fill up the CD. One of them had a tiny fault (wrong note), but I rather liked that instead of the highly edited versions of performances spliced together to create 'perfection'. It was also a harpsichordist from the circle of dedicated harpsichord players with an interest in the history of the instrument. Not some 'star' roped in to play the harpsichord.

Notable sets I'd put at the top of my list are Haydn's string quartets played by the Kodaly Quartet. Mozart's SQs  by the Moyzes Quartet. Keyboard sonatas of C.P.E. Bach played by François Chaplin (no relation to Charlie...). The complete piano works of Erik Satie by Klara Kormendi.

• Upvote
Reactions: Klassik

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So I've been very pleasantly surprised with unknown or lesser-known conductors/orchestras/soloists which makes me concentrate on the music rather than wondering what melodramatic face Karajan might be pulling at any given moment. (Karajan is not my cup of tea, so ignore me on this).
What, you don't want to buy a Karajan CD with him posing with his private jet on the cover that he probably paid for using all his record deals and royalties?  :zip:

Or one of his Porsches?

But, yes, I agree with you.  Naxos has many excellent performers.  Not every album is going to be a winner, of course, but there are many which are sure to satisfy. 

What I like about Naxos, especially on the early CDs,  is they recorded things other people weren't doing or which had long gone out of print on vinyl.
Naxos is still publishing a lot of recordings of obscure works.  In many cases, they are obscure works by obscure composers from just about all the eras of 'classical' music.  Earlier this year, I purchased a new CD from Naxos that they published in 2020 of Tomás Bretón string quartets.  I think I had heard of Bretón before, but I can't say I knew much about him.  I was at the classical CD shop, read the description on the back of the CD, and decided that I wanted to hear it so I bought it.  The two string quartets on the CD are nothing revolutionary I would say, but I did enjoy them and getting that CD inspired me to check out some more of Bretón's music. 

I doubt buying yet another recording of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony would have inspired that kind, or any kind, of musicological journey.  Unfortunately, with a lot of the big name labels, we're more or less stuck with London like that.  :S

• Upvote
Reactions: Le Baron

Don Ruperto

Wammer
Jan 25, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
M'm yes... but classical music enthusiasts often suffer from a bit of the old infra dig.  Agreed?

Classical music - two commonly encountered  victims of this phenomenon - Maria Callas and Herbert Von Karajan.  

But the problem with this is that both artists were magnificent, both having the ability to truly bring music alive.  To make classical music sound like a living breathing thing.  I have four versions of the Beethoven Triple concerto here - including one on Naxos, but also including the famous Von Karajan / Oistrakh / Richter recording on EMI.   No prizes for guessing which one is wonderful and get all the plays.  I can also identify why Von Karajan isn't for everybody... like making bel canto opera sound more like Beethoven or Wagner!

What we're talking about here is somebody finding their way into classical music.  It's no good suggesting they start with highly esoteric harpsichord sonatas.... at least guide people towards the known legendary recordings to begin with.  In my opinion that's the best way in.  Even seeking out Penguin rosette recordings. 

Infra dig... exists in all genres of music.  Many of us take journeys deeper and deeper into a particular area of music we love, we're not losing our way, we derive great pleasure from the discoveries we make along our journey's path.  We're all guilty of forgetting that a less journeyed listener may not hear these discoveries in quite the same way.    

I strongly recommend King Radio's calypso recordings from the 1930s.  Quite naturally they're sung in Trinidadian English Creole - they're truly wonderful recordings, really.  Loosely speaking they fall within the sphere of "popular music"... but I doubt that fans of Celine Dion would enjoy them.  

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Jean-Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've never heard of 'infra dig' before. It's not the reason I'm not a Karajan fan, it's because he's vastly overrated and reached the point where he was standing motionless on the conductor's podium, eyes closed (probably asleep) giving a twitch of a finger now and again. And all his fans filled in the yawning gap with fawning commentary about how he had by then reached conducting nirvana and could almost telepathically control the orchestra (after having 'broke' them in rehearsal). It's pretty ludicrous. It's true he had a big hand in bringing forward orchestra recording technique in the 1950s, but he also played a part in creating what became overproduced, bland soundscapes. He is a standard go-to name, whilst there are/were dozens of equally good conductors.

Handel's keyboard sonatas are hardly 'highly esoteric'. They're meat-n-veg and a lot more accessible than e.g. Bach's WTC or Beethoven's keyboard sonatas. We played them at school. The problem of starting the story at Beethoven or graduating from Mozart to 'more serious' Beethoven has long been a problem in classical music. It's a position widely held on another large classical music forum populated by people who make a mortuary seem like a busy train station. In general I would say to anyone coming to classical music: listen to absolutely anything that takes your fancy. If it's Vivaldi, good. If it's Schoenberg, good. If it happens to be Karl Ditters von Dittersdorf, good. I'd never do what the folks at that place do, shoving everyone into Beethoven's or Schubert and romantic orchestral Leviathans as a definition of what it means to be properly 'into classical music'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.