. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just put my Denafrips Pontus II up in the classifieds and noticed there's one there already in black (mine's silver) so take your pick!

Technically not R2R according to some commentators, although Denafrips still describe it as such.
Not NOS (No OverSampling)

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Pretty weird frankly to recommend stuff you haven't even heard. To hats the ASR approach!

How is it any better to recommend stuff you've listened to? The chance of the OP having the same preference as you is identical to suggesting something which performs well in the test bench.
When this topic reaches half a dozen pages people will have suggested twice as many DACs, all of them different in presentation...

Reactions: Ceko and Shadders

Juancho

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 22, 2014
London
AKA
David
How is it any better to recommend stuff you've listened to? The chance of the OP having the same preference as you is identical to suggesting something which performs well in the test bench.
When this topic reaches half a dozen pages people will have suggested twice as many DACs, all of them different in presentation...
Because of course you have first hand knowledge of how it sounds for starters

2010*zuma

Super Wammer
Wammer
Nov 12, 2011
Caerphilly castle
AKA
Young Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Personally I have never got hung up on types in hifi.. I think it's marketing bumff.. By considering types does this assume to right all others off?.. its perfectly ok to follow idea and notions but surprises and left field thinking in life sometimes turn out to be good things too...

Juancho

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 22, 2014
London
AKA
David
In what way is that helpful to anyone other than mysef? You are assuming that we all have the same preference, which of course is not the case.
I'm not assuming anything. I'm just saying that to recommend things you've never heard is misleading unless you clearly state words to the effect 'these bits of kit meet your spec and measure well, so try and have a listen'.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm not assuming anything. I'm just saying that to recommend things you've never heard is misleading unless you clearly state words to the effect 'these bits of kit meet your spec and measure well, so try and have a listen'.
Why else would I recommend anything if I didn't think it met the requirements?

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Personally I have never got hung up on types in hifi.. I think it's marketing bumff.. By considering types does this assume to right all others off?.. its perfectly ok to follow idea and notions but surprises and left field thinking in life sometimes turn out to be good things too...

I've been through a phase. I had a NOS DAC, a couple of high-ish sensitivity single-driver speakers, a chip-amp and a T-amp, I even bought a record player.
Living and learning... Some get a kick out of it but not me. Wasted time and money.

Reactions: Ceko

vintageaxeman

WAM, Bam, Thank you, Ma'am!
Wammer Plus
Feb 25, 2010
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi

I've recently sold my Linn Akurate DSM streamer to raise funds for a Luxman 590axII. What a lovely amp it is with my Harbeth C7XD. I'm now in the market for a new DAC to get back into streaming again. I'm looking for a natural sounding musical DAC, DSD or MQA isn't a must. The ones I'm considering so far are:

1. Denafrips Pontus II
2. Audio Mirror Toubadour IV SE
3. Merason Frérot

Did anyone directly compare these DACs? Any other DAC I should consider?

Thanks for your help!
I heard a Holo Audio Spring 3 Level 2. (NOS Dac) yesterday. Fabulous. Best sound I have heard. And I have heard a LOT. Add it to your list.

Ceko

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
Zuid Holland, NL
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I heard a Holo Audio Spring 3 Level 2. (NOS Dac) yesterday. Fabulous. Best sound I have heard. And I have heard a LOT. Add it to your list.
Do you know if there’s any real difference between all these levels? They’re each a lot more expensive of course but will it do anything to the sound?

vintageaxeman

WAM, Bam, Thank you, Ma'am!
Wammer Plus
Feb 25, 2010
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do you know if there’s any real difference between all these levels? They’re each a lot more expensive of course but will it do anything to the sound?
It WILL do. I have made changes myself to equipment putting in better caps, better resistors in crucial places, better transformers etc. The guys who design this will have listened and tested the mods to get the different Levels of performance. The one I heard this week blew me away.

Reactions: newlash09

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.