fschmeis

Wammer
Oct 29, 2018
Germany, near FFM
AKA
Frank
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
just had a look my Linn account: „The current Space Optimisation Algorithm version 3.0.1 updated on: 29th November 2019“

more than 3 years => this is long ago .. just heard a rumour that an updated version is under way .. did anybody hear something similiar?

is Philbo still at Linn? Long ago that we could see something designed by him (new spaekers wihtout 3k, or may be a new version of the algorithm)?

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have heard nothing about a Space Optimisation upgrade. I thought that Phil B. had left Linn as Philbo is no longer registered in this forum. But apparently he’s still at Linn designing speakers. We might see his latest creations for the 50th, rumour has it.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Today, PDW contacted me after logging into the Linn Development Forum

He mentioned that there was a post with reference to a brand new version of Space Optimisation to be released soon. He believed it was posted by a Linn employee.

PDW logged in again, as we talked, so I could read it, and said that this post was now removed from the Forum

It would appear that this post was leaked accidentally? but indicates that there is a very strong likelihood that we will see a brand new version of Space Optimisation.

peter@57m

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 4, 2015
Surrey, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Q: I prefer the sound of Space v1 on my system. Are you sure that Space v2 is better?
A: Space v2 is objectively more accurate at modelling most rooms. It is currently possible (albeit very hard) to achieve better results for rooms with non-flat floors and ceilings using v1. We're working on this and expect v2 to most accurately model all rooms in the coming months.

The above appeared yesterday as part of a post about the transition from Konfig to Managed System. This update to Space has been on the roadmap for a long time

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Q: I prefer the sound of Space v1 on my system. Are you sure that Space v2 is better?
A: Space v2 is objectively more accurate at modelling most rooms. It is currently possible (albeit very hard) to achieve better results for rooms with non-flat floors and ceilings using v1. We're working on this and expect v2 to most accurately model all rooms in the coming months.

The above appeared yesterday as part of a post about the transition from Konfig to Managed System. This update to Space has been on the roadmap for a long time
Sounds like an update to just the room modeling aspect of SOV2. Depending on the room, this should result in an incremental improvement. In my case, I have a flat floor, and a rather small area of higher ceiling. So I wouldn't expect much. But lately, small changes have resulting in big sound quality improvements. We shall see.

pirov

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 25, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Who set it up for you? Did you do both yourself?

’troll

Not wishing to repeat points already made on another thread (see https://www.hifiwigwam.com/threads/konfig-so1-linn-account-so2-differences.111379/), but here are some extracts:

"After several weeks’ experimenting with SO2, and trying every possible adjustment to the default settings for my room, I’ve decided to revert to my favourite SO1 profile. No matter what adjustments I make to the ‘Environmental’, ‘Absorption’ and ‘Optimisation Preference’ sliders in v2, I just can’t find the sweet spot I enjoy with SO1. Time and again, toggling ‘on’ the SO1 profile – imported from Konfig – in Linn Account has resulted in a more balanced and musical sound."

"Seems like @LSPC and I are outliers in preferring our imported Konfig SO+ to SO2 profiles. The only explanation I can think of for this – given that SO2 is obviously more powerful in terms of its mathematical/acoustical modelling – is that SO1 provides a better (more accessible and easier to implement) set of tools for user adjustment, which in both our cases has enabled fine-tuning to a degree that is not possible with SO2. And at the risk of annoying purists on here, I'm going to come clean that my preferred profile includes a bass lift of 1db at 100hz. (Retreat behind sofa shown.)"

Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 09.20.25.png

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So you set up both. Thank you.

’troll

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The disparity between the two is likely to be due to the nature of your tweaks and I doubt that SOv2 is ever likely to provide the range of adjustment that you’ve applied. For instance, if you trusted SOv1 calculation of modes and dB cuts applied, then I imagine that SOv2 sliders will provide small adjustments to these, but never huge ones. Obviously, if you’ve inserted custom modes, SOv2 is never going to calculate these. IIRC, I also used a similar bass shelf with my 350s, but gradually reduced it to something like 0.25dB and don’t miss it with SOv2.

’troll

Reactions: akamatsu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.