Linn Owners

PSA: Recalculate your SPACE optimisation!

gotburger

New Wammer
Nov 17, 2018
Gothenburg, SWEDEN
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had another kind of experience. Older optimizations got the indication "Deleted room", despite the room was still in the rooms list and was accepted for a new optimization. Optimizing another system in the same account sent the newly made optimization for the first system to indicate "Deleted room".

Cloning the rooms and using them for new optimizations (re-entering position information...) cured the problem.
1661166623785.png

NL.

Wammer
Jan 8, 2019
Belgrade, Serbia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry for a bit off topic, but I have to ask if anybody have noticed a difference in sound if the position of the speakers within SO2 has been set to "Ideal" comparing to "Practical, but could't determine ideal"?
I honestly havent noticed any diference...

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry for a bit off topic, but I have to ask if anybody have noticed a difference in sound if the position of the speakers within SO2 has been set to "Ideal" comparing to "Practical, but could't determine ideal"?
SO doesn’t treat these two scenarios any differently, so you won’t hear any difference. There appears to be a common misperception that if you chose “Practical, but couldn’t determine ideal” that SO somehow works out what the “ideal“ position would be and uses that. It doesn’t and it would be some kind of wizardry if it could.

If you search the forum, we’ve discussed this, at length, before.

’troll

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With either of these selected, boundary optimisation is disabled.

Reactions: Elad Repooc

NL.

Wammer
Jan 8, 2019
Belgrade, Serbia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks :) But how could I benefit from boundary optimisation if I can't decide about the ideal speakers position in my room, and thus can't place speakers ideally?

I understand boundary optimisation recreates the sound of ideally positioned speakers, when they were positioned practically. Does boundary optimisation make some more changes? If yes, how could I use it if could't find the ideal speaker position?

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks :) But how could I benefit from boundary optimisation if I can't decide about the ideal speakers position in my room, and thus can't place speakers ideally?

I understand boundary optimisation recreates the sound of ideally positioned speakers, when they were positioned practically. Does boundary optimisation make some more changes? If yes, how could I use it if could't find the ideal speaker position?
You can’t. SO requires both ideal and practical speaker locations if you wish to approximate the performance of the ideal position in the practical position.

I can’t determine the ideal location of my kitchen speakers, it’s just not practical (no pun intended), but they still sound better using SO. If I thought the kitchen system warranted it, I could use SO to perform a virtual tune dem to locate the ideal position. Have you considered using that?

’troll

Last edited:
  • Upvote
Reactions: NL. and akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I believe the understanding here is that boundary optimisation only works as you describe.
You can’t. SO requires both ideal and practical speaker locations if you wish to approximate the performance of the ideal position in the practical position.

I can’t determine the ideal location of my kitchen speakers, it’s just not practical (no pun intended), but they still sound better using SO. If I thought the kitchen system warranted it, I could use SO to perform a virtual tune dem to locate the ideal position. Have you considered using that?

’troll
I used virtual tunedem to set up my speakers with SO. I used the W.A.S.P. method to determine the ideal location. ended up with the ideal position about one metre further from the front wall than practical location. There was a noticeable improvement in sound quality.

• Thanks
Reactions: NL.

Guy M-P

Linn owner for 35 years
New Wammer
Jul 12, 2020
London
AKA
Guy Montagu-Pollock
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Does anyone else find the ideal and practical listening position are always the same? In other words, you can not have a difference between ideal and practical listening positions: change one and it changes the other. I reported this to Linn as a bug last year. If anyone thinks I've got it wrong, please say so!

Guy.

Last edited:

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is anyone else finding the ideal and practical listening position are always the same? Change one and it changes the other. Speaker positions work perfectly. I consider this a bug. I have reported it and hoped it might have been fixed.

Guy.
Did you select the middle option for “Speaker Locations” when you set them up?

“My speakers are in their practical locations and I am able to determine their ideal locations”

‘troll

Reactions: akamatsu and DB1328

Guy M-P

Linn owner for 35 years
New Wammer
Jul 12, 2020
London
AKA
Guy Montagu-Pollock
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes I did. Speaker locations work exactly as I expect them to. It is only the listening position that I find disobedient.

Guy.

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes I did. Speaker locations work exactly as I expect them to. It is only the listening position that I find disobedient.

Guy.
Hang on. “Listening Position”? You can’t have a Practical listening position. Why would you? I thought you meant the speaker positions.

’troll

Guy M-P

Linn owner for 35 years
New Wammer
Jul 12, 2020
London
AKA
Guy Montagu-Pollock
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, of course you can. You might find the best place to listen is quite far away from the wall, but the practical location for the sofa or chair is closer to the wall.

Guy.

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, of course you can. You might find the best place to listen is quite far away from the wall, but the practical location for the sofa or chair is closer to the wall.

Guy.
What I mean is that there is no such thing as “Practical Listening Position” supported in Space Optimisation. However, I’m happy to be corrected. Where is this feature documented?

’troll

• Upvote
Reactions: akamatsu

Guy M-P

Linn owner for 35 years
New Wammer
Jul 12, 2020
London
AKA
Guy Montagu-Pollock
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No — I could be wrong, too.

There is an opportunity to change the "You" on both the "Idea" and "Practical" pages of Space Optimisation. That leads me to expect that I can enter an independent setting for each position, which in my case would be a valid thing to do. I'm disappointed I can't, but still massively impressed by what Space Optimisation brings.

Guy.

Reactions: Moomintroll

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No — I could be wrong, too.

There is an opportunity to change the "You" on both the "Idea" and "Practical" pages of Space Optimisation. That leads me to expect that I can enter an independent setting for each position, which in my case would be a valid thing to do. I'm disappointed I can't, but still massively impressed by what Space Optimisation brings.

Guy.
I expect, that if you had selected only the Ideal position, that you wouldn’t see the option of a “practical” listening position.

’troll

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Guy.
Does that mean you sat in one place to determine the speaker’s ideal positions, but sit in another location to listen? Why not sit in your practical listening when determining the speaker positions?

Guy M-P

Linn owner for 35 years
New Wammer
Jul 12, 2020
London
AKA
Guy Montagu-Pollock
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I did indeed do what you suggest, and sat in the practical listening position throughout my set-up and moved only the speakers. However, if I sat about 450mm further forwards, I could achieve a much better setup, although it was a completely impractical arrangement of furniture in the room. Therefore it would be most helpful (to me) for Space Optimisation to support an ideal and practical listening position, too.

Regarding the Space Optimisation settings on the web-site, I can enter distances for the "You" icon on both the ideal and practical screens. It's this that lead me to believe what I wanted might be possible. If one or other had been greyed out I would have understood.

Many thanks for your continued help and advice on this, by the way.

Guy.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The purpose of inputting practical and ideal speaker locations is so that SO can perform boundary optimisation. SO doesn't need practical and ideal listening positions to perform this, or any other calculation. As far as I can tell, listening position is used to calculate time of flight optimisation. I don't know that it is used for anything else. I did SO for unmeasured speakers and wasn't even asked to input listening position.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online