Ripping my CD collection to FLAC - any advice before I start?

PaulH

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 16, 2005
Shropshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Once ripped to FLAC I use MP3Tag (it's free to download) to check ALL the metadata.

It's shocking how much data can be missing/wrong/incorrect. Even the album art can often be wrong.
Just edit any track info that needs it and (if the art is wrong) search google for a decent correct image.

If it was a Multi CD, I would not bother with the auto track labels of disc1/track1-12 & disc2/track1-13 etc. Just make it one album and re-number the tracks 01-25 (or whatever).

Took me about 5-6 months to rip/check about 1000 CD's.
Yes, it was a PITA to check every single one... but I should only need to do the process once.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cool Dude Ted

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2020
Gloucestershire
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
not a lot to add from me. I’ve used both dbpoweramp and EAC. As others have said, I found dbpoweramp more straightforward to use. EAC a bit longer to get my head round & setup but not an issue. If I remember correctly, although EAC is “free”, it limits you to 10 uses of the on-line music database (sorry, I can’t recall the name), after which continued use is subject to payment for a licence (under $10 I think).

And once you’ve ripped your CDs to FLAC, another big rabbit hole/can of worms opens up - how do you intend playing them back on your equipment? I’m sure you’ve already thought about this and may or may not have come up with a solution. For me, I’m a devoted Raspberry Pi user and have done exactly the same as you - CDs to FLAC, which I’ve then loaded to a USB stick and into the Pi.

Cool Dude Ted

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2020
Gloucestershire
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
oh and apologies. I’ve just noticed that the previous reply was to a thread started several months ago, so this may now all be water under the bridge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.