Legend Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2016
South Midlands.
AKA
Walter Fagen.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a Mark 1 back in 1989. It wasn't very good. Sold it after 2 years. I believe later ones were better.

Last edited:

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
MK1 made in Japan smooth finish
MK2 made in Scotland crinkly finish
MK3 ?
All very overrated for the price.
IMO
Info here.
Not giving much.!
https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Akurate_LP12#AKITO
Mr Kandid is correct and I will add this information.
Mk1s are much more prone to bearings going bad over time than any other Linn arm.
Mk2 much better mechanically and musically
Mk3 Inner and outer bearing housings machined from solid billet replacing the cast pieces of the Mk2. Gives more solidity to the bearing housing, better energy control and a more precise platform for the vertical bearings to work within. Improved attachment of the parts for a more rigid connection. Improved horizontal bearings that are in Ekos2 league in terms of low friction and freedom from play. Also included the original T.Kable, now renamed the Akito output cable, and still my favorite in terms of musical quality - a value of around $460. Again a significant step up musically from the Akito2. In my opinion the first Akito that was a worthy competitor to an Ittok LVII (but not worth doing as an upgrade from the Ittok, instead replace the Ittok cable with the Akito output cable and be happy until you can get an Ekos).

heimo

Naimless
Wammer
Sep 14, 2020
Vienna, Austria EU
AKA
Heimo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Back around '88~90 when I bought my first Plattenspieler (a rega Planar 2 with RB250 and a Linn K5) the Akito was Linn's entry level arm. It came as standard on the Axis. The Ittok was an entirely different beast, I remember it playing very close to the original Ekos.

Reactions: akamatsu

formann

Øyvind I
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Ski Norway
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Back around '88~90 when I bought my first Plattenspieler (a rega Planar 2 with RB250 and a Linn K5) the Akito was Linn's entry level arm. It came as standard on the Axis. The Ittok was an entirely different beast, I remember it playing very close to the original Ekos.
True, that is the Akito 1, which is quite different than Akito 2 (not much info provided above on what the engineering/design differences are) and the Akito 3 is well described by @ThomasOK above and quite different than Akito2. Ther was a statement from Linn on their old forum that the difference between the Akito 2 and Akito 3 was such that they should probably have renamed it to avoid confusion. . I also remember upgrading from Akito 1 to Ittok LVII around 1990 and it was a clear improvement. The Akito 2 and even more the 3 is however very different in performance to the 1. Most on FB LP12 forum appears to have no idea on the difference between the Akito's.
I got Akito3 on two of my decks, one which replaced an Ittok LVII (in good condition).
Øyvind I

Last edited:
Reactions: Nestor Turton

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
can an Akito I be upgrade to a II or III, or must be replaced?
There have been and are no upgrades or trade-ins available from Linn to move from any Akito to any better version. As the Akito 3 is now discontinued there is literally no chance of that in the future.

Now next year is the 50th anniversary of Linn and the LP12 so you never know what Linn will do to celebrate. I have heard of nothing so far on the LP12 front other than partnering with a different Scottish whiskey distillery for some 50 year old whiskey and the likelihood of a 50th anniversary Special Edition LP12, but not necessarily with any new parts. (The 45th anniversary LP12 included no product introductions, just a special plinth made from whiskey barrels.) This all from our Linn rep who visited the store last week for the first time since the pandemic. There have occasionally in the past been LP12 promos that gave a reasonable trade in towards new items so a trade in towards an Arko might not be out of the question. But I have heard nothing about this being a possibility so it is all speculation.

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
can an Akito I be upgrade to a II or III, or must be replaced?
By Linn, no. Jonnie at Audio Origami can work his magic on the bearings though (both A1 and A2) - and you can them rewired at the same time if you so wish. I had an A2 on my current LP12 when I first bought it (it was current at the time). I was very happy with it until I demoed it against an Ekos 2. The Akito 2 is no Ittok either but it works very well with Audio Technica MMs. My original one next lived on my dad's Axis for years and now lives on his LP12 (with a VM95).

Reactions: Wenge1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.