Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You could ask 3DSonics on Zerogain about them, I think he might be thedesigner. Rather you than me.....
wink.png

M

murray johnson

Hi Chris,

I'll be interested to hear the AM-77 amplifier.

They make this claim

In the power amplification section are bipolar output devices with AMR’s error correction circuit, which removes all the drawbacks of conventional solid-state amplifier circuits.

Quite something. I look forward to listening to it

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
Also this

Flat-topping on the other hand results in low supply voltages (despite a normal rms voltmeter reading actually measuring the voltage as nominal!), with the result that the sound quality is not at its optimum. This is related also to the often observed "magic hour," where late at night or in the early morning, with the load on the mains system at its lowest, the waveform at its best and with the least noise, sound is often much improved.

Good so far, but I’d like to know how this has been achieved.

OptiMains® detects and intelligently compensates for variations in the incoming mains, be they in the absolute voltage, due to flat topping or any other reasons. The result is to ensure that the internal electrical supply is unaffected by external fluctuations and is free of noise so that sound quality is therefore always optimised.

Clever stuff. If it works.

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
The Philips TDA1541A (and variants) is *probably* the single most widely used DAC chip there has been Dave.

Appears in budget CD players and uber-engineered flagship players alike. AFAIK discontinued now and so only available from existing stock.

E

earl of sodbury

Well the hyperbole is worthy of MF, but the kit looks interesting.

Pity about the minging "Chavpagne" colour
52_52.gif.e7819fa8e7d4f2f3fde0ccbe63a52c2a.gif

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
mosfet wrote:

The Philips TDA1541A (and variants) is *probably* the single most widely used DAC chip there has been Dave.Appears in budget CD players and uber-engineered flagship players alike. AFAIK discontinued now and so only available from existing stock.
oh yes its cheap as chips and does sound good, I have no problems with the chip in fact my cd player has one ;)the case used for the cd player looks like one I have seen used in a few "SELF" Build cd players

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
If you want some scandal Dave (I know you like a bit of scandal
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif
) Philips also produced two higher specification versions of the TDA1541A. The S1 single crown and S2 double crown. Denoted by a small crown appearing on the chip.

Naim used the single crown TDA1541A and I think Marco’s Sony has either the single or double crown version. Although there’s not actually a great deal of difference specification wise between all three chips.

Rumour has it most of the S1 single crown and S2 double crown versions now in circulation are however fakes. There’s probably some truth in this given production of these higher spec’d chips ceased some time ago but demand among the DIY audiophile fraternity remains high.

Can’t trust anyone these days! :dude:

brizonbiovizier

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 4, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am not positive, or rather I have an idea but dont think its for me to say - best to ask 3dsonics on zerogain. The complete system of cdp, integrated and speakers did seem like a bit of a bargain.

yoda900

Wammer Plus
Sep 20, 2005
Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
My Sugden Masterclass CDP and the Stemfort DAC both have been tweaked by Sugden with the Double Crown chips which were sourced from Boeing spares for aeroplanes.

Very analogue sounding and running in Class A
biggrin.png

Now they are really flying :minikiev:

brizonbiovizier

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 4, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Apparently a titanium anodised version will be available in black. Prices will be £4400 each for the cdp and integrated.

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
not cheap then!
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

can't say I was expecting that figure looking at the pictures* - but its all about sound I guess.

*actually - after having another look, they do actually look immaculately finished, so the price seems pretty much what I'd expect - but still some VERY stiff opposition around at that price I would have though

brizonbiovizier

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 4, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I said good value I didnt say cheap
wink.png

Looking at what various high end brands cost they seem quite reasonable and seem to have a lot of novel features.

They look much better in the flesh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles