Classical virgin needs help!

supercapman

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Bath, , United Kingd
AKA
Chris
I have never bought a classical CD, the only classical music I have is the freebies on Hifi mags:?. So here's the question, I love the sound of close mic'd cello and double bass, all strings in fact.Big orchestra stuff wouldn't interest me so I'm after some recomendations, something I might recognise would be good too. Oh, and if it's available on SACD that's even better.

Thanks in advance,

SCM (Classical virgin:shock:)

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fresh meat! Mmm...
costumed-smiley-088.gif.0d430dec15178e12a2ae10e497cd4e9e.gif

The first port of call would be Bach's Cello Suites. There are dozens and dozens of recordings available for this work. Generally the greatness of this work makes it performer-proof so as a first timer you can choose the latest SACD recording available on one of the major classical labels, without fear of disappointment.

Dvorak's Cello Concerto is indispensable too. Rostropovich has two storming versions out which bring out the romantic core of this lovely concerto. The one with Giulini is masterly while the Karajan one is simply lush. These are older recordings but you won't miss having DDD sound.

• Mstislav Rostropovich / London Philharmonic / Carlo Maria Giulini
  • Mstislav Rostropovich / Berlin Philharmonic / Herbert von Karajan

If youdon't want to plunge right into hardcore classical, Yo-yo Ma has several classical crossover discs worth exploring. Two that I like are

• Soul of the Tango (The Music of Astor Piazzolla)
  • Yo-yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone

Morricone is of course that composer who has scored several memorable soundtracks for the silver screen. Here Ma plays the choicest bits from The Mission and from Brian de Palma, Sergio Leone and Tornatore films. Lovely, ah Cinema Paradiso...
cry_smile.gif.e6f167d6925baafe229b8957ba771316.gif

'Soul of the Tango'is more subtle and sultry. It featuresa tasty selection oftango master Piazolla's gems.This disc takes several listens before the hooks set in but it is worth it. Perfect music to which you can lock hips with your special lady and dance.

And of course, there is Don Quixote by Richard Strauss :eek:j:Sorry Boxer.:nuts:One of the most moving works for the cello I know, though it could be challenging for a first timer. However, if you are a fan of Cervantes' novel (on which it is based) or that John Cleese movie:nup:, you will take to this Strauss masterpiece.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

SS

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There are excellent recordings of the Bach Cello Suites on SACD from Peter Wispelway on ChannelClassics or an absolute classic recording from Janos Starker onMercury Living Presence. The Starker was recorded in early 1960s but the sound is totally stunning, the 1960s were the Golden age of classical recording and SACD can really show how superb these recordings are.

Alsoworthtrying the solo violin Partitas and Sonatas, great new recording on the all-SACD Pentatone label by Julia Fischer.

The Dvorak Concerto is best served on SACD by Janos Starker againon the same label as above. Personally I don't care for the Karajan/Rostroprovich version as Karajan wrecks it with his glossy overpowered orchestral brutalism.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You don't want to boggle our young apprentice's mind by bringing up Karajan's foibles at this point in time.:shock:HvK's glossy Berlin sonics would sound sooo superb through SCM's valve equipment.

whisper.gif
Besides, HvK is the conductor of choice for newbies wanting to build their first classical collection. He has the plushest recordings. They will learn to move on to other conductors once their taste develops.

Listen to the Stormtrooper, SCM!:green:

supercapman

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Bath, , United Kingd
AKA
Chris
Paid a visit to HMV today, first time I've been upstairs to the classical dept:shock:, bought myself a copy of Bach's Cello suites 1-3 by Paul Tortelier, superb ADD recording, listening to it for the first time at the moment, not sure I 'get it' yet but superb sound.Only cost a fiver:cool:.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good choice.
Tortelier is one of the legendary cellists. Enjoy! btw Bach's Cello Suites is not something anyone 'gets' totally in a single sitting, but it is a work you will return to again and again because of its sheer life-affirming qualities. These Suites reveal their secrets slowly but surely.

SS

Trivia: Tortelier was a famous exponent of Don Quixote who made three distinguished recordings ofthisStrauss work, withKempe (Dresden 1977 & Berlin 1958) and with Sir Thomas Beecham (EMI 1947, with the composer himself present at the recording sessions!)

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
No string quartet suggestions?

Try Schubert's Death & the Maiden quartet: Lindsays are my preference, but Quartetto Italiano are good also.

Or some Mozart: Hunt & Dissonance quartets, again The Lindsays on EMI at bargain price. Just to annoy Solid:p...

BTW, Solid, I don't dislike all Strauss,just the operas, the tone poems, Don Quixote & Metamorphosen are fine when I'm in that sort of mood.

Let us know how you get on SCM.

Happy listening,

Boxer

Glens of Antrim

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Norn Iron, , United
SCM,

Bach's Cello Suites're pretty tough meat - much as I love Bach. I got into classical by paddling with some of the great tunes & if I found a composer I liked exploring his stuff further with the help of friends & books like the Rough Guide to Classical Music.

Why not try:

Beethoven: Symphony no6 'Pastoral'. My favourite version is by Bruno Walter.

Beethoven again: Piano Sonatas 'Moonlight', Apapassionata', Pathetique etc. My favourite's Wilhelm Kempff

Handel: Messiah. Great, rousing tunes. The Richard Hickox version is exciting, well sung & recorded.

Mozart: late Piano Concertos. Clifford Curzon's the best interpreter imho, followed by Alfred Brendel.

Mozart: Clarinet Concerto & Quintet. Just simply magical.

Ravel: Bolero - I know hackneyed but it's still good!

Schubert: Symphony no9 'The Great' If the opening bars don't blow you away, I'm a :naimee:Solti & Wand would be my favourites here.

Tschaikowsky: Ballet Suites. Lovely tunes & you can dance to them! Honest! Try Rospropovich's version - it's very well recorded too.

Have fun...

GofA

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Some good choices there, Glens.

But "Bolero"????? The single worst piece of music Ravel wrote! (IMO, of course;)). I'd start with his string quartet: Quartetto Italiano, c/w the Debussy; or Ad Libitum Qt, c/w the Faure (on Naxos, so cheap).

And being me, I'll put in a plug for some Vaughn Williams (& not just to annoy Solid!
tongue.png
): Academy of St Martin in the Field/Marriner - Tallis Fantasia, Lark Ascending, Greensleeves (a bit unnecessary, but it's short), & Dives & Lazarus (good Decca recording on Argo), or Symphony No 5/Flos Campi Suite (a piece for orchestra & viola)RLPO/Handley (cheap on EMI).

Or also in an English vein: Elgar & Walton String Quartets, c/w Frank Bridge's Three Idylls - Coull Quartet on Hyperion. There may be better Elgars, but this is good & has good other pieces with it, & is a good recording.

Happy listening,

Boxer

Glens of Antrim

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Norn Iron, , United
boxer wrote:

Some good choices there, Glens. And being me, I'll put in a plug for some Vaughn Williams (& not just to annoy Solid!
tongue.png
): Academy of St Martin in the Field/Marriner - Tallis Fantasia, Lark Ascending, Greensleeves (a bit unnecessary, but it's short), & Dives & Lazarus (good Decca recording on Argo), or Symphony No 5/Flos Campi Suite (a piece for orchestra & viola)RLPO/Handley (cheap on EMI).

Happy listening,

Boxer
I thought after I'd finished that post that I hadn't any English music in the mix. Concur with Boxer's choice of VW pieces - though I've a soft spot for Sir Adrian Boult in this music. And if you like the cello, what about the daddy of them all - Elgar: Cello Concerto (du Pre/LSO/Barbirolli imho). Beethoven also wrote some cello sonatas, but must admit I find them tough going.

And I must admit I always think of the film '10' when I hear the Bolero
00001664.gif.f3a6986ade705efb256520e3dde6edd1.gif

GofA

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Glens of Antrim wrote:

And I must admit I always think of the film '10' when I hear the Bolero
00001664.gif.f3a6986ade705efb256520e3dde6edd1.gif
GofA
Sounds like yet another reason to dislike Bolero:p!

Elgar Cello Concerto, du Pre et alia:^
:^. Or, for a more restrained interpretation, Tortelier/Boult.

Walton's Viola Concerto could be worth a go also.

SCM, I'm the English music counterbalance to Solid's heavy duty Germanic & Italianate tendencies, tho` I agree entirely with him about the Bach Cello Suites.

Boxer

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All these post-discussions and recommendations don't alter the fact that SCM is not quite virgin anymore. The cherry was popped by Bach.:lmao:

SCM - Have fun exporing the safe options listed by our Dynamic Duo but may I be the first to tell you that another wide musical universe awaits you in... OPERA!
wow.gif

There are so many starters to choose from but Francis Poulenc's "Les Mamelles de Tiresias"is probably top choice. It is chic,modern and in French (boxer would approve no doubt
smile.png
).

B00000I0L9.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Barbara Bonney / Saito Kinen Orchestra / Seiji Ozawa (Phillips)

Enjoy :green::green::green:

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Flamin' typical: you recommend an opera about the breasts of a sexually metamorphosing Greek mythological character:D(yes, I know, I am being incredibly over-literal)........

You'll turn SCM's head, popped cherry or no;).

And there's nothing wrong with a bit of safety when you're starting out:p: you went straight to Frau Ohne Schatten, of course:), but some of us lesser mortals had to start with obvious stuff like The Planets (mind, I was 8 years old)...

"Safe" Boxer

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Didn't SCM say big orchestral stuff wouldn't interest him.... so all the concerto recommendations might be off target? Quartets and maybe the Tallis Fantasia, Barber's Adagio and some other string stuff might be better starting points.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
boxer wrote:

Flamin' typical: you recommend an opera about the breasts of a sexually metamorphosing Greek mythological character:D (yes, I know, I am being incredibly over-literal)........You'll turn SCM's head, popped cherry or no;).
chikas_pink05.gif
Just thought the cutting-edge script would fascinate the jaded mind of a typical pop listener.
biggrin.png
Tiresias our heroine is tired of being a timid wife so she turns into a man by morphing her breasts into helium balloons and letting them float up into the sky. Meanwhile her husband turns into a woman and gives birth to 40,000 children in a day. A uniformed officer then asks the womaned-husband how on earth would he manage to sent them all to college, at which point the womaned-husband's male-wife (Tiresias) intervenes :clout:to set thing right.

Great drama! I like the recent mini-production I saw at the 2004 Sydney Mardi Gras;)

This sex-reversing opera should be right up Glen's alley after he is done with Rosenkavalier.:lmao:

And there's nothing wrong with a bit of safety when you're starting out:p: you went straight to Frau Ohne Schatten, of course:), but some of us lesser mortals had to start with obvious stuff like The Planets (mind, I was 8 years old)..."Safe" Boxer
booo...
biggrin.png

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
musicbox wrote:

Didn't SCM say big orchestral stuff wouldn't interest him.... so all the concerto recommendations might be off target? Quartets and maybe the Tallis Fantasia, Barber's Adagio and some other string stuff might be better starting points.
You have a point there. SCM has already said he prefers chamber music. Please provide a run-through of the string quartet repertoire, MB.:DThis is uncharted territory for me.

By the way SCM, Saint-Saens' Le Carnaval des Animaux (The Carnival of Animals) has a nice solo piece for the cello - Le Cygne (The Swan). You might like it. And Pachelbel's Canon is another nice string piece that would delight any classical newbie. IMHO it is perfect display fodder for valve equipment.

SS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.