Classical virgin needs help!

supercapman

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Bath, , United Kingd
AKA
Chris
Thanks for all the replies, I have been listening to Classic FM all week in my van.The girlfriend thinks I've gone barmy:shock:. I am really liking the Bach work now, and have found an excellent Naim CD 'Concerts under the dome' and am loving the Dvorak Quartet no.9 in D minor, superb stuff.

TBH I feel like a kid in a sweet shop now as there is all this classical stuff I havn't tapped into yet.

My god am I getting old before my time?
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

E

earl of sodbury

supercapman wrote:

... My god am I getting old before my time?
Not at-all, there are many of us lurkingin the Classical Closet, quietly rummaging through the gorgeous garments within - just remember that Solid's choice is more Widow Twankey than Cinderella...
wink.png

(though TBF the Dvorak was a top call
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
)

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Earl, fancy seeing you here...
hi.gif

Lovely ta see you dig the Dvorak too. It is indeed one of the great cello works. And trust me to advocate it endlessly since one of my mates at college is a descendant of Dvorak.
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif
Someone from Anton's line emigrated to Oz and later became the Citterbard family. My only regret once uni was over was I failed to get a lock of his hairfor a musical memento (of sorts:hom:).
biggrin.png

E

earl of sodbury

solidstateman wrote:

hi.gif
Lovely ta see you dig the Dvorak too. It is indeed one of the great cello works. And trust me to advocate it endlessly since one of my mates at college is a descendant of Dvorak.
Someone from Anton's line emigrated to Oz and later became the Citterbard family. My only regret once uni was over was I failed to get a lock of his hairfor a musical memento (of sorts:hom:).
biggrin.png
Blimey, small world... I can't make an informed comment on the piece, but just enjoy it for the artistry, the melodic pictures he paints and its sheer "rightness" - it's a piece that never outstays its welcome, indeed, like all good things is (quite) brief and never satisfying: keeps me coming back for more.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

HectorHughMunro

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2006
London, , United Kin
I actually think the best way to discover classical music is on vinyl. It's easy to find good recordings too because you go to Oxfam and the like and look to see what people over the last 50 years have been buying and that gives you a really good start.

Oxfam is quite democratic in that way! It also only costs you about £3 to make a mistake.

Emma Royd

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
May 10, 2006
Dartford
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
HectorHughMunro wrote:

I actually think the best way to discover classical music is on vinyl. It's easy to find good recordings too because you go to Oxfam and the like and look to see what people over the last 50 years have been buying and that gives you a really good start.Oxfam is quite democratic in that way! It also only costs you about £3 to make a mistake.
£3.00 blimey thats heavy, 20p-£1.00 in some charity shops,Oxfam andsome of the bigger onesdo charge more than the smaller independants.

Mind you if youfind a 1st press. SXL/ASD(stereo) in good condition for £3.00,your fortunate.First pressings in mono sound excellent as well.

epca

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2006
Barking
AKA
Ed
Did someone say chamber music? Strings?

Howabout

Mendelssohn Octet for Strings. Hausmusik on Virgin produces wonderful sounds on original instruments

Brahms Sextet. Raphael ensemble on Hyperion is not a bad place to start, although the Lindsays on ASV can be had cheaply

Beethoven String quartets, Opus 59 1-3 Rasumovsky is a good place to start as any. Lindsays on ASV also easily available at a good price, but Takacs on Decca is good too

If you like Dvorak, Cypresses, a set of pieces for String quartet is really lovely. And I would pick up a Virgin disc of the dumky piano trio and piano quintet, some of Dvorak's best chamber music IMHO.

Bach's accompanied violin sonatas for violin and keyboard (BWV 1014-1019) are not so well known, but contain superb music. Rachel Podger and Trevor pinnock on channel classics is my choice here.

I wonder if actually we could hold something like a bakeoff (although that sounds too competitive) of classical music for all those classical music virgins to come and hear what it is about. Or I would happily contribute some CD's for those who would like to try classical music, but are afraid of taking the plunge.

Cheers

Ed

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
epca wrote:

I wonder if actually we could hold something like a bakeoff (although that sounds too competitive) of classical music
I was thinking of the very same thing too.... I've been to a few bake-offs but find it difficult to have any opinion of equipment where I haven't heard music I am in sympathy with.

Although I'm not a classical newbie there are some parts of the repertoire I have not yet explored... not much Haydn Chamber music or French C.19thfor example.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
hi.gif
biggrin.png
NOTICE

I have been contacted via PM by the aforementioned Mr Citterbard (now a new Wam member here, small world!
) and I have replied. Now I need to clarify my old post publicly. Mr Citterbard and I were more of casual mates at inter-college events and not intimates;) (contrary to what the above wordings would suggest). I was posting under an absinthe haze:p and unintentionally chose not to elaborate on the specifics of my acquaintance with Mr Citterbard. That would have made the message longer than needed.

But now that he is here and have sent a friendly greeting to me about this post, it is proper on my part to clarify it now.

Hope you all understand. (All Aussies like calling one another "mates", anyway.
smile.png
)

My apologies for any inconvenience caused,

SS

btw, no act of braggadocio was intended by moi thru that Dvorak/Citterbard name mention, so get off my case, Boxer, okay? (Dvorak is not one of my musical gods anyway:p)

14-00000002.gif.828495f168ee75f09f640fa4f13bd3a2.gif

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
BTW, we finally have a spot of musical blueblood grace our little classical section.

Hail Dvorak Junior!
not_worthy.gif.606503e2f2ceaa5be9e2770f927f316c.gif

:peace:

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
I didn't say a thing:zip:, nor did I even think anything, just for once.

Boxer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles