If you like what you hear that's good enough,

If you can't hear much / any difference between component A or B then keep your

hard earned cash in your pocket.

For what it's worth, the outlay on my system(s) goes something like this,

95% of budget on Vinyl/CD, amp and speakers and the remaining

5% on cables , supports etc.

V

Voice_Coil

I did have several questions after reading the 1st post, but then i read the rest of the thread.

Think ill stick to private messaging !

snowy

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 11, 2010
, ,
How did you come to this conclusion?substituting my power amps with the Belles made the biggest difference. To my ears they sounded better than my amps. we had tried different combinations of my power and pre with the Belles power and pre and this seemed to be the best combo.

What a surprise that a salesman with a vested interest could hear more than you. Are you surprised?

No I am not surprised. But considering he made some tweaks that were not a financial benefit to him, in the short term anyway, I thought maybe this was one dealer who was on the ball. I am gullible when it comes to relying on people who know a hell of a lot more about things than I do.

How did you come to this conclusion?

What you have or havent spent is not very important, but the seed has been planted that someone other than you is a "golden eared" person. Irrespective of the individual what you report has happened is fairly basic sales techniques.

Quite simply what the hell does listening in depth actualy mean?
I suppose it means that one should listen to every aspect of what's playing rather than parts of it.

thearc

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 21, 2009
Kent, United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Snowy,There's no mysticism about listening ,

If you like what you hear that's good enough,

If you can't hear much / any difference between component A or B then keep your

hard earned cash in your pocket.

Spot on :^

No problem with getting salesman to come round and demo some stuff, but trust your own ears rather than his sales patter (however convincing).

You either like the sound or you don't.

No one needs to be told 'how to listen'.

P

paskinn

Afraid I 'gave up' on dealers many years ago.....too much pressure, too much commercial interest (the tales I could tell!). However, without dealers where are we? I tend to buy used stuff (from people I know, or who are recommended to me..never, ever, E-bay), play with it, then keep it or sell it on. But this is laborious and time consuming and clearly wouldn't work for all of us. So, back to the main point...without dealers where are we?

snowy

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 11, 2010
, ,
Yes, I whole heartedly agree with you, but, there must be an art in knowing how to get the best out of your listening experience. Anyone can stick a track on any bit of equipment, be high end or low, and listen. I don't suppose it really matters if they enjoy it. Of course I could be confusing the word listen to the word sound. I suppose the overall sound may be obscured if you listen to intently to every part of the music. Oh I am prattling on. what a load of old b---lks.

Polarbear

Old bear
Wammer Plus
Jul 24, 2005
AKA
PB
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sounds like you are trying too hard Snowy.

Listening is about enjoying and not analysing.

Just sit back and listen to the music as a whole and forget about what this might be doing and what that might be doing. That just distracts from the music.

If you enjoy it more its better, its as simple as that.

B

BD Audio

I'm sure tony posts here...good luck to him I say..
He was posting as Skyward but has changed again. It's not too hard to spot his 'personality' shining through.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a Coherent modified component in my system for a number of years and was very happy with what was done to it. At the time I did buy a second to make comparisons with and was happy with the difference the changes made. My dealings with them have always been cordial, but I think it was accepted from the off I was never going to spend a lot with them!

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What do you think of Coherent cables and mains accessories? I have got Transparent at the moment but will have consider changing to Coherent. Bloody hi-fi, who needs it?
I have owned coherent cables for years and agree that Tony makes some excellent quality connections. I suggest you ask to borrow some, keep them at home for a week or so and see if, without the presence of an expert salesman, you can really appreciate any differences.

JB

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2008
Windsor
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use Tony cables and a Belles amp - always found the to be excellent quality and do a degree of what is claimed. But it must be said that the service I have received from Coherent is always top draw, and I have spent many hours listening and getting advice without spending a penny.

Muddy Funster

Wammer
Wammer
May 23, 2007
Ambridge
AKA
Ed Grundy
Dealers in general are on a losing ticket with many Wammers, whatever they do. If they don't bend over backwards, they are lazy. If they do, they are pushy. If they refuse your offer of 50% off the retail price, they are money-grabbing, if they do, they are an idiot. If they tell someone politely that their 1985 CD player is uneconomic for repair, they are rude. If they can fix it and charge a decent price to do so, the dealer is 'just trying to rip you off'.

Once in a blue moon, someone gets some praise for doing a good job. But usually when someone does something good, it goes unreported. When someone screws up - and we're all human, screw ups happen - the knives are out.

G

Nah, it is just that there are too many vocal miserable old gits on here.

But some of them really don't help themselves, especially banned members. The ones that tried to use us as puppets found out the hard way not to mess :p

I do buy a lot of kit second hand but a do buy pieces new from dealers too, I am yet to have a bad experience with a dealer. Other than some eccentricities with some of the fringe dealers :^

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
Dealers in general are on a losing ticket with many Wammers, whatever they do. If they don't bend over backwards, they are lazy. If they do, they are pushy. If they refuse your offer of 50% off the retail price, they are money-grabbing, if they do, they are an idiot. If they tell someone politely that their 1985 CD player is uneconomic for repair, they are rude. If they can fix it and charge a decent price to do so, the dealer is 'just trying to rip you off'. Once in a blue moon, someone gets some praise for doing a good job. But usually when someone does something good, it goes unreported. When someone screws up - and we're all human, screw ups happen - the knives are out.
Chip on both shoulders?

G

Lets not derail the thread. I'm quite happy for people to discuss the kit and the accessories but any mention of the individual dealer and i will lock it because despite all the positive comments ,Tony cannot defend himself if some people want to make it personal . As mods its far too much hassle and we'll kust pull the plug. Gedditt

JB

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2008
Windsor
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tony very good at letting you try kit at home in your own time - best advice is do that and then make a decision.

I cant imagine anything worse than sitting there and analysing ever bit of the music and whether that guitar should sound exactly like that or if there is enough snap in that drum....ffs!! Your hi fi is only portraying the recording - how do you know how it should sound, unless you were there when it was being recorded!! If you enjoy what the stuff is doing buy it.

Btw I use black ravioli between my speakers and the stands to good effect.

dohraeme

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 14, 2007
Various
AKA
Cameron
Not at all.ripped one apart and was rather surprised what I found,composite layers of "stuff" nothing like sorbothane
Never looked inside one but I read somewhere that Black Ravioli are a laminate material containing kevlar (akin to bullet-proof vests) intended to absorb kinetic/vibration energy.

Will post a link if I can find the article again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online