Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2010
Central Scotland
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Been on the prowl for an affordable <<£500 pre-amp to pair with Sunfire 300x2 into Martin Logan SL3.

Never had a pre before but want to try it out as have been using digital volume control from squeezebox touch to date

A vintage Trilogy 902 looks like a possible and I quite like the idea of a valve pre into the current / power monster that is the Sunfire.

the other approach could be volume controlled DAC such as an Audiolab MDAC for similar price

Any thoughts ?

greengoblin

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 15, 2009
manchester
AKA
Leon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I'd highly recommend it. I had one for a while. Beautifully built with heavy chrome case, relay switching for source, alps pot volume control wired as shunt, valve rectified, simply valve circuit. I gave me all the typical valve preamp house sound; warm, big soundstage and real size (slightly fuzzy) image and plenty of rhythme.

I lightly modded mine with silver wire, better signal caps and mullard valves and was quite happy. It has quite a bit of gain so need to match power amp carefully, ideally with input sensitivity around 2v.

Not the quietest of pre, and those ecc88 do tends to ring a bit especially when that metal case is tapped. More money buys you more details, sophisticatiopn and general hifi trickery. But this trilogy does good music...

greengoblin

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 15, 2009
manchester
AKA
Leon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
That'd be a great match. I had trouble previously with an Art audio Diavolo which had a 0.5v input sens I believe. Similar with croft 7 power amp but changing valve altered it to 1v ish and it ran fine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.