Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ah - phew! - I thought I was the only one who didn't understand the fuss about those 'orrible-looking and -sounding Vivid speakers. :)

simonms

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 18, 2010
Brighton
AKA
Simon
What are the speakers, looks like an elephant has done a quick push and slice on the carpet there.

68rednose

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2013
Mainland Europe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't need that for decent listening to Eva Cassidy, sounds on my (and most other) gear easily very nice.

Haven't heared it live, so can't comment on sound.

The looks are not my taste. The flight case look of the amps might appeal to (wannabe) pop stars and roadies though.

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What are the speakers, looks like an elephant has done a quick push and slice on the carpet there.
As Jerry say's above, Vivid, possibly one of the most horrible speakers I have ever heard at a show. I thought I was missing the point, then I realised that there was no point at all, just a horrible harsh wall of sound.

simonms

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 18, 2010
Brighton
AKA
Simon
Bob, just realized your Hagerman Trumpet, very much considering one of those! Horrible and harsh, well it makes you wonder what the designers are hearing maybe we should conservatively suggest a bake off to them.

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you were closer I could be unkind and pop the Hagerman over to you, it's fantastic with the silver Stevens & Billington SUT. I also have the Hagerman Flugalhorn in a lovely shade of orange.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Tony Coherent has a pair.

They are bright orange and look like cunts.

:zip:

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
They look like North Korean Olympic mascots, ready to battle Wenlock and Mandeville to the death.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Vivid do seem to produce speakers that look positively disturbing - organic, yes, but organic in the sense of something that's lived too close to Fukoshima for too long...I've yet to hear them sound as good as reviewers claim, but then I've yet to hear them anywhere but at a show, which isn't much of an arbiter.
It's a valid point. However, I've heard stuff sound decent but challenged at shows and I've heard stuff sound decent at shows. I've heard Vivids three times at shows and on each occasion I've thought they sounded similar to putting a cat in a blender.

Sometimes, reviewers might have different ideas to those of us who actually listen to music.

• Upvote
Reactions: It Cost How Much!?!

dantheman91

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2009
Bournemouth
AKA
Daniel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi

I went to an audio event last weekend...on demo there was amplifiers totaling £2500 & speakers that were £3000 now im not being funny but the sound was nothing spectacular to me more ok a waste of money i have much better at home..fair its a mix of vintage & vintage but its sounds so good. i think the speakers were brodmann..ugly looking things and dont do nothing for me on what i heard and they could tear wallpaper from the wall they were that hard & tiny in the treble..It was a painful listen..also cables that are so thick & expensive i dont think it did much for the sound IMHO.

cobbler

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 19, 2009
Northants
AKA
Pete
I thought Brumjam's Vivids sounded great at Scalford, they were the small ones, I haven't heard the larger ones.

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I'm not a fan of the Vivid speakers, but would just like to point out that it takes a complete system to make an 'orrible noise (or good music), not just the speakers.

sent from a different Galaxy

THOMO

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 10, 2010
Western Australia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I heard two of the Vivid speakers in different rooms at the Australian Audio Show in Melbourne recently.My friends and I could not believe how bad they sounded.A really dry,small and choked up sort of sound.

Best sounding speakers by far at that show were Brodmann VC7s.The Magicos were also very good.

The real surprise was a pair of JBL Studio 590s.They are not pretty but they sound superb, are very affordable and best of all they are very valve amp friendly.

karlinamillion

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2007
Londinium
AKA
Karl
It's a valid point. However, I've heard stuff sound decent but challenged at shows and I've heard stuff sound decent at shows. I've heard Vivids three times at shows and on each occasion I've thought they sounded similar to putting a cat in a blender.Sometimes, reviewers might have different ideas to those of us who actually listen to music.
I have heard Vivid B1's or D1's, and shit is too small a word.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.