I’ve just been blown away by my own system… Again!

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good drivers in a well-designed enclosure. They probably don't overthink it. 

HouseElf

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 16, 2016
Coppull
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Glad you are finding some sonic "peace" with the system. It's horrible when you have assembled some superb kit and it just isn't gelling. A salutary lesson to those who think that just forking out for new kit is the answer to getting better sound from our systems (like me!). 

Reactions: Rockchild

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can't remember which Q speakers Richard (Gromit) had at Scalford. I do remember being among many who stuck their head round his door and spent a while trying to see where the big, costly speakers were hiding, because it was very, very hard to believe the sounds were coming from those little boxes.

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can't remember which Q speakers Richard (Gromit) had at Scalford. I do remember being among many who stuck their head round his door and spent a while trying to see where the big, costly speakers were hiding, because it was very, very hard to believe the sounds were coming from those little boxes.
Ditto. That was a very impressive demonstration - not just because of their diminutive size but also their diminutive price. I can't remember which model either - 2020i or 3020i? Dunno. Fantastic value though.

Reactions: rabski

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ditto. That was a very impressive demonstration - not just because of their diminutive size but also their diminutive price. I can't remember which model either - 2020i or 3020i? Dunno. Fantastic value though.
£150 speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrei

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2013
Napier
AKA
Andrei
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some probably aware that I have a new room for music and as good as that is, can present itself with a new set of problems.

Speakers as we know, are the main issue when setting up and I’ve positioned them countless times to tweak the sound. 
The room has had some acoustic home made tweaks etc and covered all the basics.

Well today, I’ve tweaked again with the speakers and the kit and quite frankly I don’t know why I didn’t do this before because I’ve just been smacked in the face by the improvement.

No fancy cables or power leads here! Just a tidy of wires, speakers closer and slightly back and stacked the racking. 
Primaluna Pre and Copland power in reserve with the Sugden A21a Signature doing the job. I have better dynamics, bass along with the already impressive texture and soundstage. 
Seriously, no money spent and just paying attention to detail. Blown away, love it! 
BTW, What you may find by Artic Lake is a dream track for imagery and vocals. 

One of the nice things of forums is the vicarious pleasure of a good looking / sounding system.   On a related note I see you have a slightly unsymmetrical space behind the speakers.  Does that play any part?

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Talking about being blown away by your own system, I've just been messing around with the GL75 with the AT95EN through my main phono stage. For a moment, I actually wondered about my sanity with spending on the 'main' deck, then I swapped the record onto the Well Tempered and remembered why I always come back to a serious moving coil and SUT combination. Sometimes a reality check actually shows the spending (of time as much as money) has been worthwhile.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
.   On a related note I see you have a slightly unsymmetrical space behind the speakers.  Does that play any part?
Fortunately not. That wall is solid as it use to be the original outside wall. The alcove is only a few inches deep

This boy can wait

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 15, 2008
Thirsk, N Yorks
AKA
Stef
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I found that shifting my speakers a few degrees, from toed in to straight ahead, made a subtle but quite miraculous difference, especially noticeable on long listening sessions.  
I agree. My Labrador Retriever and his fat arse knocked one of my speakers out of line. The result was a soundstage with greater depth and overall, things just sounded better. I tried moving the other speaker a few degrees to match the dog-bumped one and it didn't sound as good.  

Another small step on the path to hifi enlightenment.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Talking about being blown away by your own system, I've just been messing around with the GL75 with the AT95EN through my main phono stage. For a moment, I actually wondered about my sanity with spending on the 'main' deck, then I swapped the record onto the Well Tempered and remembered why I always come back to a serious moving coil and SUT combination. Sometimes a reality check actually shows the spending (of time as much as money) has been worthwhile.
I think our expectations are higher with more costly items because when we dabble in cheaper stuff, often we don’t expect much.. your reality check was going back to your main deck 😊

I didn’t find that was the case with the Q Acoustics, it took a while to readjust back to the Harbeths 

Andrei

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2013
Napier
AKA
Andrei
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree. My Labrador Retriever and his fat arse knocked one of my speakers out of line. The result was a soundstage with greater depth and overall, things just sounded better. I tried moving the other speaker a few degrees to match the dog-bumped one and it didn't sound as good.  

Another small step on the path to hifi enlightenment.
You wouldn't be able to lend me Rover next time you are on holiday would you?

• Haha
Reactions: This boy can wait

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Speakers have come on along way. I grabbed a pair of these Q Acoustics 3030i’s offered currently at £225. I challenge anyone who can better them with an equivalent speaker from the 90’s impressive little things they are. The better the kit they are on, the better they sound. 
They were going to be a stand in whilst I was looking to replace the Harbeths. I think if you were blindfolded, you would think they were a lot more expensive sounding.

795F46C1-1FBB-4B75-BFB4-FDBF1F4E9B66.jpeg
They all look rather impressive. I have been tempted to buy Q Acoustics Concept 30s. I believe the dedicated stands aren't cheap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles