If you could only pick one album to show off....

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I recently bought the blu-ray. It is very good.
I've got the Blu-ray, the CD and the boxed LP set, and I've also got it on my Qobuz favourites. It's excellent on all of them.

macfan

LP12 Newbie
Wammer
Feb 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used to take a tape of this on holiday as I was obsessed with it.
I have the new half speed vinyl version and it is very nice. The album gets a spin in the rotation every few months.

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I had LPs it was always Heavy Weather. Sounded out of this world on large panel speakers like Apogee Caliper Sigs and Duettas.

There are some interesting phasing effects on Birdland which you only hear on a good system. And it's a masterpiece musically.

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I was going to choose something by Dire Straits, Floyd or Gilmour, but then I thought that I didn't want my guests to think I was an old fart stuck in the past so I chose this;):

rangesound

Wammer
Mar 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Quadrophenia by The Who. Cool concept album story about a confused teenager joining the Mods, set along the English shoreline during the mid 1960's

Reactions: maddog_007

EddieRUKidding

Eddie RU Kidding
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Oz
AKA
Eddie R U Kidding p:
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Kahvas Jute - Wide Open a lost classic Oz Blues Rock LP from 1971 featuring Dennis Wilson on guitar and vocals Bob Daisley on bass guitar and Tim Gaze on lead guitar and vocals. Was their debut album and last together until reunion gigs in 1991 and 2005. Bob Daisley left the band shortly after the LP's release to join Chicken Shack then Mungo Jerry and many others including Rainbow, The Ozzy Osbourne Band and The Gary Moore Band. Original Vinyl copies of Open Wide fetch up to A$1,200 if you can find one :cool:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahvas_Jute

Reactions: Klassik

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Origin Of Symmetry -- Muse

Great drive and dynamics. Really tests the PRaT of your kit. And the lead vocalist is Matt Bellamy, the British Jeff Buckley. What's there not to like?

Attachments

• 20220425_015900.jpg
    20220425_015900.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 3

Sumdumgi

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It would depend on the 'audience' and the joy of streaming lets you play an almost limitless choice for your visitor. Can't see the point in getting someone to listen to one of my favourite albums if I know for a fact they wouldn't enjoy it. I have few friends that are interested in hifi but more who like music who normally listen on bluetooth speakers and soundbars. Listening at mine is generally a much different experience and is likely to be appreciated more whilst experiencing familiar music imho.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It would depend on the 'audience' and the joy of streaming lets you play an almost limitless choice for your visitor. Can't see the point in getting someone to listen to one of my favourite albums if I know for a fact they wouldn't enjoy it. I have few friends that are interested in hifi but more who like music who normally listen on bluetooth speakers and soundbars. Listening at mine is generally a much different experience and is likely to be appreciated more whilst experiencing familiar music imho.
Yes it's tricky one, appeal to a wide audience, a lot of "audiophile" music is so boring, it will put some people off, put me off Hifi shows for a long time. You would have thought in this day and age that there would be some excellent recordings but I'm usally disappointed with most of them. The Tabla Beat is not a bad suggestion but not sure about a whole album of it.

I may go for:

Melody Gardot - Currency of Man

Sounds good on my system, not too audiophile, should not offend anyone or send them running to the hills.

I also considered Kristina Train.

Last edited:

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My favourite LP for the vinyl experience is to listen to all four sides of this St Germain album:
St Germain

It may well be digitally recorded and mastered and sound better off Qobuz, although it certainly sounds excellent on vinyl. It is more about the music matching the medium really well in this case for me.

Reactions: MVJ and StingRay

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My favourite LP for the vinyl experience is to listen to all four sides of this St Germain album:
St Germain

It may well be digitally recorded and mastered and sound better off Qobuz, although it certainly sounds excellent on vinyl. It is more about the music matching the medium really well in this case for me.
Good chice, although I prefer their Tourist album.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
One I came across recently which I thought was pretty good:

1650891907834.jpeg

Probably not familiar to many on here, there is a fair variety with different vocalists.

Reactions: myles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online