Michell

Balle Clorin

Wammer
Nov 23, 2020
Sorbothane Sheet under motor, new Leveling
( using very accurate bubble level with 0.1 degree markings, most bubble levels are too inaccurate to be useful) , talcum on belt, and change of groove in platter brought my Gyro back to its best performance, very happy..
A small speed adjustment now and it is back in top form.

0BE90F6B-BA67-451B-91BD-74AAF9916666.jpeg

tox7o7

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 21, 2008
, ,
just set up with the frequency matched platter and the orbe , , well i am impressed with both , the frequency matched platter is more like the orbe, as for the 2 x20mm thick spiders they have helped in keeping the deck from moving and improved the wow , the deck seems to stay put , the 12 inch pu7 tone arm tracking is spot on and sounds great ,
Hello!

I didn´t understood the platter part, are you using the Micheel Gyro newer (cork insert platter) or something else?

Could you shedsome light on how the different platters compare in sound? original Gyro/Odissey, new Gyro with insert cork,Orbe and acrylic?

Kind regards,

António

Reactions: Tarzan

gwernaffield

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
May 27, 2012
north wales
AKA
pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello!

I didn´t understood the platter part, are you using the Micheel Gyro newer (cork insert platter) or something else?

Could you shedsome light on how the different platters compare in sound? original Gyro/Odissey, new Gyro with insert cork,Orbe and acrylic?

Kind regards,

António
well i have 4 platters the original gyro , the Frequency Matched Gyro ( cork insert) a Michell Orbe and a solid TPA Acrylic , it is hard to describe the differences, due to different factors , the type of Cartridge used , arm used etc , the Frequency Matched platter is more like the orbe, with better dynamic sound than the older platter ,not that much i would run out and buy one, The orbe i always find is grate with acoustic music, but not so much heavy rock , that is my opinion and the way my ears work ,
The 100% acrylic one is more detailed , and more life like than all off them ,and will rock till the cows come home, it seems more faster than the laid back orbe platter , The Frequency Matched one seems a lot like the orbe but may have been over dampened by the ring of cork making the highs not as high as before ,

i switched over to use the 100% Acrylic platter the other 3 are on the shelf now , that has become my preference, due to the speed and more life like presentation i hear , this may be due to the fact it is heaver and does not have a big hole in the center unlike the Orbe platter ,

Reactions: gninnamag

Balle Clorin

Wammer
Nov 23, 2020
If you buy a non-Michell belt , even "special quality" that some sell, you may get pure rubbish, easy to sort out with the mobilephone speed apps..

I have 4 Michell belts they vary from 0.06-0.08% peak wow to 0.17%. Talcum made my best belt even better..

Compared with the rubbish belt below
1671634608359.png

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyone care to guess what the 2023 price increase will be when the updated turntables are released? I’m thinking we will be lucky if it’s less than 15%, as when you look at rivals Michell are still very keenly priced for the engineering you get, imo.

Meanwhile, it is not hard to find 10% plus discounts on current models/prices.

Last edited:

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Anyone care to guess what the 2023 price increase will be when the updated turntables are released? I’m thinking we will be lucky if it’s less than 15%, as when you look at rivals Michell are still very keenly priced for the engineering you get, imo.

Meanwhile, it is not hard to find 10% plus discounts on current models/prices.

'Updated turntables' please tell us more!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online