My first valve amp has arrived and I need help with the valve placement.

Beefheart

Wammer
Dec 14, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Folks,

Quick update, had a few hours with the amp and I’m enjoying its sound. But there’s also pops and crackles, some of which are quite loud. As they are random in nature, I think it’s the power tubes. Rather than risk damaging my speakers, I’ve ordered a full set of tubes. This is something I was going to do anyway, just happened a bit sooner than expected.

I do get quite a lot of hum when the amp is first powered on and hasn’t started playing music. Not Doc Brown’s amp from Back to the Future levels of hum, but it’s audible.

However, as soon as the music starts, it disappears and doesn’t return when there’s silences or quiet sections. Also, it doesn’t return when the music stops, so I’m thinking that it may be another symptom of needing to replace the tubes.

Glad to say there's no buyer’s remorse. If I had to use one word to describe this amp right now, I’d say “Organic”.

Have fun!

Beefy.

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
valve amps can be frustrating, I will certainly admit that, but ultimately very rewarding.

I'd highly recommend replacing ALL the tubes with new ones, that way you can rule the tubes if you continue to hear "anomalies".

Good luck end enjoy!

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do like 2nd hand Hifi I bought something off them a while ago and the owner gave me a little tour it's a great place to look round if you're in the area.

Beefheart

Wammer
Dec 14, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@audio_PHIL_e Be a pedant all you like! It's a free world and I'm not going to judge you :)

I'm dyslexic and sometimes have to take the path of least resistance to elucidate. However, it’s also instilled a fierce love of the English language. Reading books that were literally alien to me in my youth have now opened up vast vistas of imagination and enjoyment. Now I rejoice in learning new words or understanding the derivation of a word or term that I had previously taken for granted. I loathe the dumbing down of language!

Beleve it or not, this post took me over 40 minutes to write, so please forgive me if I take the odd short cut in my posts.

Best regards,

Beefy

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Then let's call them "lampes" like the French do 🤣
According to google translate, a lamp or lightbulb can be a lampe or an ampoule. A valve can also be a soupape, a vanne, a valve, a piston or as you say a lampe. I guess there are subtleties in the uses of these words that don't come over in google translate.

tbh, I remain unconvinced that the french language can express anything as simply as english can, except perhaps for the phrase je ne sais quois

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello Wammers,

I got my new tubes today. The Graaf now has a completely new set. After turning on for the first time, the hum had pretty much gone. A tiny amount while 2 feet from the speakers, but even that went after a minute or two. Zero pops or crackles!

Happy days!
Pics of the shiny toy?

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I'm dyslexic and sometimes have to take the path of least resistance to elucidate.

Have the same trouble myself often write a post over several times and on occasion just give up.

This makes me chuckle

"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.