New speakers ideas.

s.thomas

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2010
Pontypridd
AKA
Stephen
I currently own Klipsch speakers, little known little reviewed boxes that I bought on a wim without thinking. Dumbass. I would describe them as forward, peppy and brash. They do however work reasonably well partnered with my gentle Marantz cdp and AA Puccini amp, its sort of a balance of extremes. But I feel a lot of the subtleties are lost on these speakers. They don't do finesse or soundstage.

My listening room is a small square shaped box. Carpeted and with soft furnishings, like a travelodge budget room. I find most speaker attributes are magnified in a small room. So if treble is described as peaky, in my room it is "bloody hell its scraping my ear innards". If bass is described as authoritative in my room it is "so you want to knock that wall down and make 2 rooms into 1".

So what sort of speakers should I be looking at ? Speakers are 2 meters or so apart and listening distance about the same. Ive been looking at the new Castle Knight and Wharfedale Dentons. Haven't heard them, but they seem suited ?

I listen to everything really, no real preference. But as you may tell I may prefer warm and rich as opposed to bright and analytical.

S

soulman

I'd have thought some of the older designs would have given a warm, rich sound, maybe older celestial dittons (15's) or the older castle designs. I've just picked up a set of Ruark talisman ll's for £100 and they have a warm, rich sound

s.thomas

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2010
Pontypridd
AKA
Stephen
Thanks Des. What difference is there between standard Ditton 15 and 15XR ? Im guessing the XR are newer ?

S

soulman

XR is newer and, I think I read, a different tweeter, only heard the standard 15's, which many prefer. They can sound a little plodding if not partnered carefully, I must say I'm becoming quite a fan of the Ruark Talisman ll (small front ported floor stander) that we got for our eldest, I had to try them in my system before he get's them for xmas ;-) didn't I? Easy room placement, warm, decent bass and look good….

s.thomas

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2010
Pontypridd
AKA
Stephen
Ive done a quick search online and the Talisman's certainly look like nice solid speakers. Found one or two good condition Ditton 15s for sale on the 'bay so I will keep an eye on those. Do I need to be aware of anything technically with them ? They look like they take modern 4mm banana cable ? Would it be a case of plug in and go etc;

Ive only ever owned one pair of floor standers, years ago - Linn Keilidh. Nice enough. I like stand mounts, but there's something about a good floor stander that seems solid and no need to worry about stands being compatible etc; But in my small room Im not sure.

Cheers.

S

soulman

With the Dittons I'm not sure, it was an evening of beer and chat and I noticed the kit the sounds were coming from. I don't think there's a problem but I'm not completely sure.

silencio

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2010
Sofia, Bulgaria
AKA
Chris
Stephen - I friend replaced his Klipsch 82 (???) with my older B&W 683. Room was app 5x5 m. Where the Klipsch boomed and pierced the ear at the same time, the B&W sang. Room your size - I am prejudiced, but do take a look for a pair of Opera Prima. Proac should also work well. No Focal, please!

s.thomas

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2010
Pontypridd
AKA
Stephen
Chris - I do have an old pair of B&W DM601s somewhere. Mmm. I always loved those speakers. Do B&W still sound the same these days ? Their newer stuff ?

silencio

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2010
Sofia, Bulgaria
AKA
Chris
Chris - I do have an old pair of B&W DM601s somewhere. Mmm. I always loved those speakers. Do B&W still sound the same these days ? Their newer stuff ?
Apparently, no. I demoed the old 6 series against the new. The 683 had more detailed, more extension and better dynamics than the old, which was mellower. The 683 should mate well with the somewhat warm AA you have.

dalko67

Wammer
New Wammer
Sep 23, 2013
Harrogate
AKA
Wojtek
If you have a chance look for LINN Kaber (about £300-400 second hand). Rich warm sound, a bit tricky to find right amp.

linnman

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 5, 2011
W Mids
AKA
Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you have a chance look for LINN Kaber (about £300-400 second hand). Rich warm sound, a bit tricky to find right amp.
Have just sold a pair, which I had been using for the past 20 years, as Dalko says they do need good amps, and work best active. I have to say I have never heard them described as rich warm, the more normal description I hear is 'dry' sounding. At £300-£400 they are a good speaker but be prepared to find the right amp(s) to drive them.

dalko67

Wammer
New Wammer
Sep 23, 2013
Harrogate
AKA
Wojtek
I'm used them with LINN pre/power they where good (especially from jazz LP). Previous owner use them active with LINN Klout amps.

linnman

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 5, 2011
W Mids
AKA
Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Used them active with LINN Klout amps.
Which is what I ended up with, and found to be the best id heard them.

If you fancy this route then my Klouts are in the classifieds :)

Tenson

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 2, 2006
Maybe you could get some Quad ESL57s? Intimate but also clean, good in a small room. Warm bottom.

s.thomas

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2010
Pontypridd
AKA
Stephen
Drool. Quad. ESL57. They seem like they would be too big for my small room though ? The same qualities I look for in a partner too ! Sorry guys but Im not a fan of Linn. So no to the Kaber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.