Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Kiang wrote:

gsrai wrote:
Have to admit I'm quite nervous about it but as with all things I've gotta give it a go.
No worries there whatsoever.

whats your source and speakers ?
My source is a Musical Fidelity X-Ray CD player with PMC GB1 speakers hooked up using QED XT400 and some interconnects that were given to me that sound awesome but look like shite.

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
emale wrote:

Hi matey,

Welcome to club Pathos. I done exactly the same as you and went from Musical Fidelity to Pathos. If you're anything like me hifi wise, The first few hours with your new toy will seem to be a bit of a dissapointment, I'll explain why.

Give it a day or 2 and I'll bet your smiling and wondering why everyone else hasn't discovered this little gem of an amp.

Enjoy.

Dave
Dave

Thanks for the encouragement - it took a fair bit of time for me to decide to go the Pathos way so your comments are very encouraging.

I have to admit I do notice what you say about the MF being shut in at higher volumes (I always blamed my X-AS100 poweramp but last night trying the Sugden and A5I'm not so sure now). It's the air around things that I like to hear.

With any luck the Pathos lands this week (thanks for the warning about start up).

Dynamic Turtle

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 23, 2005
HADOOOOKEN!!!!, ,
I've owned a Clasic One MkII for 18 months and love it to bits, as much for the design & beauty of it, as for the gorgeous sound it produces. It puts musical pleasure above all else, which is why I love it so.

A very wise purchase. Can't recommend it highly enough.

DT

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
HAWK - it should land back end of this week (fingers crossed)

DT - if I can live with it for 18 months then I will be ecstatic as this chopping and changing is getting me down
pray.gif.84955f3b1709939cd9186fd2e3d88a8e.gif

paularcher

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 25, 2005
Wakefield
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
some useful comments here,thanks everyone.

the Pathos is on the deffo audition list

look forward to any updates gsrai may have

supercapman

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Bath, , United Kingd
AKA
Chris
Had the Classic one on home dem for a while, it is an excellent amplifier. IMO it isn't bass light and proved to be an excellent compromise for SS and valve.It doesn't do the mid range of a fully valved amp (a tad veiled) but it does do the SS bass control and a crystal clear top end which is superb. All that with the gorgeous looks, a remote and you have a superb amp.

Dynamic Turtle

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 23, 2005
HADOOOOKEN!!!!, ,
supercapman wrote:

Had the Classic one on home dem for a while, it is an excellent amplifier. IMO it isn't bass light and proved to be an excellent compromise for SS and valve.It doesn't do the mid range of a fully valved amp (a tad veiled) but it does do the SS bass control and a crystal clear top end which is superb. All that with the gorgeous looks, a remote and you have a superb amp.
That's a pretty good description. The bass is definitely there, just very controlled and (unlike lesser amps) completely un-emphasised.

It is ever so slightly veiled in the midrange, but this gives it a smooth, relaxed sound that is great with voices (which without naiming any naims, lesser amps tend to over-emphasise). I'll stick my neck out further and say that despite this, it is tonally accurate. And yes, I've never had any issues with the treble, which is pretty much perfect IMO - smoother than a playmate's play area!!

Like I said earlier, the overall sound is just so damn cohesive & musical that you really can't help but get drawn in and completely brush aside any of the tiny flaws it does have.

I listened to the Mercury Bach/Starker Cello Concerto though it last night, and whilst I sometimes find this a chore to listen to (unaccompanied cello is not my idea of an entertaining listening session), the Pathos delivered the music in a very listenable way.

DT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.